A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheting on an Airplane?????  (Read 2220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

multibeavo
Da Beav

Bears, beets battlestar gallactica!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 02, 2010 12:20:40 AM »

Does anyone know if I can take my hooks onto an airplane? We are getting ready to move and I want to crochet on the long flights but I don't want to have my hooks confiscated or have to throw them away because I wasn't allowed to bring them on board. Anyone had an experience with this or know the regulations? I am already assuming that my tiny scissors and yarn needles (metal) will not be allowed, but the hooks?Huh Please HELP!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftaddiction
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010 04:44:53 AM »

The TSA rules aren't too helpful on hooks. They say it is allowed, but that each agent can make up thier own mind on if to allow them or not. So it all depends on what agent you get. I have taken my mini sissors and a yarn needle. I think they do allow sissors under a certain length. I just take a cheap pair that isn't too sharp. For crochet hooks, do you have a couple backup hooks that aren't as important to you? My hooks are an expensive interchangable set, so I don't take them on a plane, even if they should be allowed. I bought a cheap plastic set for trips. I've read that you have a better chance getting plastic ones onto the plane, the second best are bamboo. I have taken metal ones onto the plane, but I just take the few I will need. And I usually don't take the really small ones, are they can be quite pointy. In short there are no strict guide lines. They should be allowed, but you run a chance loosing what you bring. I would just put together a cheaper "crochet on the go kit". That way you can still crochet and aren't risking as much. But that depends on what hooks you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap for things kids could do in the car on a long car trip (3 girls ages 5-12). I can knit, crochet or trade yarn.

My pinterest
CraftyDiem
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010 04:50:43 AM »

TSA says: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

I've traveled with a package of needles for sewing fabric, crochet hooks, and small scissors.  At first I would put them through with the liquids and show people before the x-ray but they didn't care in the least.  While I probably wouldn't bring really expensive hooks you should be fine with your typical crochet stuff.  Smiley Have fun!  

If your travel takes you out of the US then you need to check with the security rules for whatever country you will be going through security in.  So if you just fly to (say) Argentina you can take anything ok in the US - but if you have to change to a local flight you would need to see what that country's guidelines are.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010 04:52:55 AM by emilyjp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010 05:19:44 AM »

It depends on where you're boarding and where you're going.  Rules differ greatly if it's a domestic flight versus an internation flight.  Rules change often, so whatever it says now might not apply on the day of your flight.  Fun stuff, eh?

You're going to want to look up both hooks (sometimes found under "penetrating items" or words to that effect) and scissors.  It's the scissors that will get you... I've never seen so many different ruless!  Sometimes it's the length of the blade that matters.  Sometimes it's the pointiness of the tip.  Sometimes any kind of scissors is fine, but those specialty cutting blades aren't.

But seriously, all it takes is some wingnut trying to take down a plane using a package of dental floss to just ruin everything for everyone else.  So check the day of your flight.

If you want to avoid problems, you might have luck with a plastic or wooden hook, a plastic yarn needle (or just wait until you reach your destination to weave in the ends!), and skip the scissors.

When I took a domestic flight within Canada, my hook was fine, and I brought childrens' safety scissors, and they were fine, but that was because the rule here is that scissors can't be pointy.

I told the security agent aws I was loading up the tray that they were in my bag *before* they ran it through the x-ray machine, and everything was fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kobechina
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010 08:21:19 AM »

I have brought my hook and yarn needle on planes. Most security ignores them, just once they caused some confusion, and they went through my bag, but it ended out ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
multibeavo
Da Beav

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010 03:15:59 PM »

Thanks for all of the advice. I may just try to find some plastic or bamboo hooks and some kid scissors. We have MANY long flights head of us as we are moving from Okinawa back to the US, so I have to bring something! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brandylew
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010 07:37:45 PM »

You could just grab a couple of plastic hooks, and instead of scissors, use nail clippers.  Grin , and Welcome home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010 02:48:13 PM »

I fly at least once a year, and always take my crochet hooks with me.  The only thing I don't pack are scissors, don't want to take the chance they'll see them and take them from me.  But I did accidentally forget to take my scissors out one time, they were the fold up kind, and I had them in with my beading stuff.  Went through just fine.  I do beleive they will also confiscate nail clippers.  I have a set of nail clippers that looks like a keychain decoration that I take instead.  I think as long as the clippers don't have the nail file on them, you can take them.  I'm not sure about knitting needles though.  They look more like a weapon the crochet hooks to after all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

multibeavo
Da Beav

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010 03:21:20 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking nail clippers were a no-no. Pretty sure I had to put mine in checked baggage last time we flew. I may have to find some of the fold up scissors, that sounds like a good plan Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scribble
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010 02:56:12 AM »

It's probably all down to the discretion of the flight crew. I have used a chunky plastic hook (not too pointy) on a plane, and just checked with an attendant before I used it. She looked at me like I was crackers for asking, and there was no problem.

Watch you don't lose your yarn in the aisle - that might annoy them. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crochet blog at www.carryyarnstitching.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Fabulous Confidence Boosting Styles with Elizabeth Stewart
The Fringe Trend
How to Rock the Grunge Gone Glam Trend
Two Ways to Style a Colored Fur Jacket
Is There Fashion in Baseball?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...