A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,937
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Wallet (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 1820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilstar765

Sewing since Spring of 2009! Still learning :)

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2010 12:38:21 PM »

So I've been needing a wristlet for a while since I've been juggling my phone, keys, and cameras whenever I go out to social functions. I tend to solve these storage issues by having someone with pockets hold my stuff--which in most cases are males because baggy jeans with big pockets are much more fashionable on men than on women. Sadly, we girls do not have an option for storage on our pretty little dresses and have to bear the inconvenience of having a purse dangling off our shoulders at all times. Thus, the wristlet is a much more discreet and less chunky way of carrying my necessities around.

I haven't been sewing in a while and that is mostly due to the fact that I feel the need to envision the end result before I start; I need to know exactly what I want my product to look like. But I have a hard time planning a sewing project in my head, and I realize that all I need to do is pick out a color scheme and the rest is simply improvisation.

Here's my process!

I first started out by choosing the two fabric themes below. I wanted to go for a vintage look--a new color scheme I've been absolutely in love with lately : pastel blues, greens, teal, salmon pink, vintage patterns, laces, ruffles, etc. I put the fabric over each other until I came up with a placement I was happy with. I'm a very visual creature and as I mentioned before, I can't just think of a design in my head, I must be able see it and adjust it. I ended up deciding on a pleated bottom.

I pinned together the pieces to show how I wanted the front of my wristlet to look. It was too big (better to be bigger and be able to adjust it than to have it be too small!) so I snipped off an inch and half off the bottom.

I cut out the interior lining as well. I originally had intended to have a separator pieces inside the wristlet to separate my phone and camera. But as it progressed, I decided to toss that idea--it was getting too clunky inside.

I added interlace to the back of all the pieces so that it would be stronger material. I mean, it's a wristlet afterall--I need it to be sturdy! Without the interface, it would just be a flimsy baggy.

I also added pockets for the inside of the wrislet. Who doesn't like pockets?! I had a special chapstick compartment made too haha.

I skipped taking pictures during the sewing session because I was doing a lot of trial and error. I made this without a tutorial so I had to seriously sit down and think about how the pieces should go together seamlessly and cleanly. I messed up a few times (edges cooked/zipper uneven, etc) so I had to take it back apart and re-do it. It was frustrating after a while but in the end, the patience paid off because it came out really clean.

A peek into the inside of the wristlet. Yay pockets!

I love the pockets!

Thanks everyone for viewing my post! I'm still a beginner so I'm practicing hard Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010 01:00:01 PM »

That's great.  You're right, it really did come out looking sharp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
amethyst6
Life is what you make it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010 04:24:28 PM »

Ohhh, I love this. I really like the colors and the vintage feel is spot on. You did a wonderful job on this. It doesn't look like it was made by a beginner.. Grin Thanks for sharing it with  us.. 

Oh yeah, I wisted this for sure.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010 07:50:32 AM by amethyst6 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/amethyst6
I am interested in personal swaps. PM me.
Tygir

I am a leaf on the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010 06:51:50 PM »

This is lovely! I really like the chapstick pocket, hehe  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katsanders
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010 07:16:43 PM »

It is quite beautiful.  I had no idea you are a beginner until you said so.  Well done!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: Wicked Pride
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010 12:35:11 PM »

Wink Your tute was very good. I love the vintage fabric, I love the vintage aqua color & the pockets, I love pockets too. A girl can never have to many. Thanks for showing us your tute that give me lots of Ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
suddenlysandra
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010 01:38:05 PM »

I see no evidence of beginnerness (new word Cheesy) - you did a lovely job - certainly far better than my first projects (way back in the 70's, LOLOL).  Great fabrics, great design (which I will copy, because I love making zippies), cute embellishment, and I especially love that your bag and your manicure match Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 6/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 7/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 3/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 1/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...