A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Who Wouldn't Want To *BE* Mama? Cooking Mama Halloween Costume!  (Read 16689 times)
Tags for this thread: mama , pixel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2010 10:08:49 AM »

Forget wanting to “be” Martha Stewart---I want to “be” Cooking Mama!

Who wouldn’t want to be Mama?  She can do it all!  First she came over and made some killer pot stickers.

But Mama is human, like the rest of us, and we all make mistakes, don’t we?  Unfortunately the stove must have been on too high, and she burnt the pot stickers.
“Don’t worry, Mama will fix it.”

She decided to take a whack at a different recipe, and moved onto baking.

Didn’t her chocolate cake come out beautifully?

She was so happy!

Mama is so well rounded.  Not only is she wonderful in the kitchen, she works her magic in the garden as well!

But, just like in cooking, not everything goes as planned.  Not enough water, I guess  Sad

Recently, Mama ventured into the crafting world!  She’s tired of her yellow apron, and wanted a nice pink gingham apron to compliment her sparkly kerchief.

She’s such a jokster!

Oh no!  I guess the bobbin is in wrong!  Mama gets very angry when she has to use that darn seam ripper.  (Don’t we all?)

--------
Onto the nitty-gritty.  
Here is a close up of the sequin work.  It is in perfect rows to simulate pixels.

Close up of her eye:

One of Mama’s “Angry Eyes”

I also made the felt food for the photo shoot:
Mama’s Cake:

Other pastries not used in the photo shoot:

Pot stickers:

I also made a shrimp, but it came out weird.  
Obligatory “cat in the shot” picture

She’s got to get into everything!

So then I put it on her

Argh!!

-----------

And….onto the actual project.  This is Craftster, so no little project will do.  It must be Epic (yes---with a capital E).  I toyed around with perler beads, tile mosaic, cross stitch, beads, etc.  A "time to cook" clock idea floated around in my head (I still might do that), along with embroidered kitchen towels, a perler bead magnet set, and a few other things.  But none of them were EPIC!  I don't know when the idea actually hit me, but I decided to be Cooking Mama.  As in for Halloween.  An Epic Halloween costume.  Yes--that's it.  Now, what to make the "Pixel" images out of?  Squares of felt? Beads? Nope--you guessed it---not Epic enough.

SEQUINS!! Yes!  I'll pixelate her face out of sequins!

I started out by sketching her face onto some construction paper.

Then I transferred that image onto some ½ inch foam, and cut it out.

I then cut out some flesh colored lycra slightly larger than the foam head, and gently wrapped it around the foam as if I was re-covering a cushion.

Be careful of that hot glue gun though!  OUCH!  This is what happened after the tip of my ring finger grazed some freshly placed hot glue, and in a state of panic, I ripped it off….along with the top few layers of skin.  Yeah….this put a damper on the project for a little while….

But, all was ok, and I was able to finish wrapping the foam.  (Sorry for the blur here---I had left my camera in my fiancé’s car, and have taken all of these pictures so far with my cell phone.)

Then I painted on the basic elements of Mama’s face.  I did this for two reasons—one to give me an idea of where to place the sequins, and two, so that the areas between the sequins would have nice color as well.

The next step I don’t have a picture of.  Take a look back at that first picture of sequins.  Yes…it’s a multi pack of sequins.  And it must be separated.  This took hours.  I separated it into black, clear, brown, silver, two shades of pink, etc.  I separated and separated.  And separated.

After I had piles of all my colors, I began gluing the sequins down, one row at a time.  I used a ruler to make sure my lines of glue were straight to really give it the pixilated look.  Here is her kerchief done, and her hair outlined.

Here I am lying each sequin down.  By the time I got to the eyes and hair I got smart and started using a toothpick instead of my glue-covered fingers.

Close up

I don’t have a picture of the finishing process, but I finished off the back of the head with some fusible white felt to make it neat, glued a foam hat from the dollar store on the back, and glued on a few layers of netting for the mouth.  I also made Mama’s apron and some felt food for the photo shoot!

Thanks for looking…I hope you enjoyed Mama’s venture into domestic life!

Edited to add:
Everyone else is stating how many "pixels" their project is, so I decided to count how many sequins I used.
Final verdict? 1,668 sequins!

The breakdown?
Flames-359 sequins
Eyes-210 sequins
Eyebrows- 16 sequins
Ears- 41 sequins
Hair Outline- 142 sequins
Hair- 468 sequins
Kerchief- 414 sequins
Both silver "hilights"- 18 sequins
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010 05:28:18 PM by SewIn2Disney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010 10:15:15 AM »

You are my hero!!  I <3 this costume!
Great job,
Beth
P.S.  I did the same thing to my finger with super glue, I freaked out, panicked and ripped it off.  Ah the lessons learned
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010 10:21:04 AM »

Great project! I love the detail and the angry eyes. Although, the owie finger made me a little sick, but way to sacrifice for your craft! Grin
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010 10:48:22 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010 10:38:21 AM »

Sparkly awesome!!  I really like the angry eyes, great touch!  

It would be so hard not to wear this around the house all day Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010 10:38:47 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion opening in mid September!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010 10:45:41 AM »

Ummm...
Freaking WOW!
This entire project is so fun and amazing!
(well except for the finger gluing accident)
Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

koolaidria

You stand where your footsteps lead you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010 10:49:41 AM »

Holy amazing! And you have a Badge of Crafty Courage! I love hot glue guns and I get burned a lot a lot, but NEVER that bad. Like, that wound is angry. I can't believe just ripping the glue off did that to you, it's never happened to me that bad. I'll complain a lot less when I get my little burns or just one layer taken off. Did this take you the whole month? And how do you see where you're going in that loveliness?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a nerdy flourescent curvaceous artistic musical lover of life and personal swaps.
Wisty Goodness
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010 10:57:15 AM »

Thanks for all the awesome comments!
Surprisingly my finger is almost 100% healed!  It was quite painful for some time there- and yes, it hurt as much as it looked!
It did take me the better part of the month to do--- between designing, sequining, sewing, etc. I'm unemployed right now so this kept me busy!
And I can see through the mouth. It's hard to believe, but I have a pretty good range of vision in it-- and yes, I've walked around the house wearing it (just to freak everyone out!) and haven't bumped into anything yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoCraftyTal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010 10:57:21 AM »

This is awesome!  I love all the pics - they made me laugh!  Grin  Great work, and GREAT story telling with your photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
Muria
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010 11:07:20 AM »

Very Epic!  Great idea, too!  I'm awful with challenges. I think, "wow that would be a really fun challenge, and look at the great prizes!" then I get bogged down in the planning stages, and never get around to doing it. Really a shame, because my brain went along the same ideas as you, except I also thought of doing a beaded Cooking Mama pocket on an apron, (which, unless I'm a beading fiend this weekend, isn't going to happen).

In any case, I think you did a great job on your costume, and I love the flames (and the accessories)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010 11:18:57 AM »

I think you should also walk around the mall or grocery store or something! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best CC Creams To Try
Go Behind-the-Scenes of Lily Collin’s Cover Shoot
DIY Fashion: How to Create a Cool Envelope Clutch
Snookie Opens Up Her Beauty Bag!
Seventeen Readers Test Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...