A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first clothing project: light summery babydoll-ish top  (Read 19731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyZary
« on: May 20, 2005 09:25:27 AM »

Excitement and sadness came together when I finished this top. After a long time of sewing only other items, I decided to give clothing a first try and this is the result. It is a light top for hot summer or the beach (I REALLY hope that the sun and the warm days come soon, I am so tired of the cold days!).  It is not perfect, but I am happy with it.
The top part is a stretch material (a scrap from an old shirt that I never wore because I did not like it) and the other part is silk with floral print. At the back I added 2 little 'wings' of silk.

I was excited about finishing it and when my husband came home I was showing him the top and he did not like it :-(  First he did not say anything, so I asked: You don't like it? and he answered in that funny tone of voice that men use when they lie: 'Yeeees, iiiis okay, it is not too bad, it is maaaybe just a liiittle too...light?' Who understands men? they like to see ladies even lighter dressed but when it is about their wives we need to dress very covered, lol.  It made me a little sad but well, it is my first project and with the time will get better, and anyway I like it and I will wear it when the warm days come and we go to the beach  Cheesy

Sorry, the pics are not too good, the camera took them alone and I could not see what it was taking :-) but you get a better idea with the mannequin pic

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/27541topor2.jpg
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/27541topor1.jpg

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010 03:53:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lulu Clyde

Making it in Brooklyn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005 09:40:15 AM »

I love it, despite your husbands tude. I'm pregnant and looking for any top that hugs the boobs and skims the tummy. Thanks now I have something to try to copy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littledoe
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005 09:51:18 AM »

It's gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005 10:13:03 AM »

Wow...That is really, really nice. The skirt looks a little see-through, though - but apart from that, it's lovely!

And don't worry about your husband. In the EXACT words of my grandma, when I showed her and my granddad a skirt that I made yesterday and he went, looking at the waistband "You're not that fat, are you???"

Anyway - my grandma just looked at me and went, "Men. What the hell do THEY know about clothes?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005 10:48:57 AM »

In defense of the male gender may I say, WOW! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs-Roboto
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005 11:44:22 AM »

It's beautiful and I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrislea
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005 12:14:58 PM »

I think it's beautiful!  It would look super over a pair of jeans, but that's really too hot for summer, isn't it?  ^^;  Your husband's nuts for wanting to keep you under a blanket - he should be proud to have a wife who can make something like that!  ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterfly192005
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005 01:55:39 PM »

I thought the same thing - PERFECT for over a pair of jeans. Your husband is wrong Tongue. I wish I could even attempt to make something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merry Harridan
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005 02:39:04 PM »

That might possibly be the most awesome top ever, and I wish I had the skills to make 1 or 5 for myself. I kinda want to slap your husband on your behalf for ruining what should have been a proud moment.  Been there.  I don't ask my husband's opinion about anything that's important to me, because well, he's rained on my parade one too many times, which has rendered his opinion about a lot of things null and void.

That top would look great over some really good-fitting ultra-lowrise capris or a teeny-tiny jeans skirt. Yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005 06:42:33 PM »

I love love love this! Even the colors are so perfect! I don't suppose you could do a tut? Even a written one?

Oh, and I totally know the husband thing..I just finished making a wrap top, made by tracing another one I like and lengthening it a little, and it looks awesome, and all he can say is he hates those kinds of tops, they look granny...:rolleyes:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Elizabeth Aston
Wild Horse Annie and the Last of the Mustangs Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Talks About The Plantagenets
Amy Sohn Talks About Prospect Park West
A Secret Message from Obert Skye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...