A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer Clay Hair Clips  (Read 993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tyney123
« on: September 30, 2010 03:52:31 PM »

I've made cookies. I want to attach them to those 'snap' hair clip/slides. The cookies are flat backed.
I've tried Araldite, they lasted 2 openings before peeling away.
I also tried liquid clay and these too peeled away.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Would sanding the backs be worth anything?
Hot glue?

Stressseedd >.>

Any help would be appreciated. xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010 09:40:25 AM »

I looked up Araldite and see that they're a company that makes various kinds of adhesives so not sure which one you were using.

If you were using one of their 2-part epoxy glues, those should have worked reasonably well but the longer the setting time for an epoxy glue the stronger the bond, so perhaps you used a short-curing one?  

The problem could have been lack of flexibility with epoxy glues though since the snap-type hair clips I'm guessing you used will flex a bit when opening and closing.  So you could try a strong glue that does have flexibility after drying/curing like E6000 (an "industrial" strength silicone type glue available in the U.S.), or perhaps even a very strong permanent "white glue" like Weldbond or Gem-Tac or Jewel It (those last two are meant for attaching metal "gems" to fabric so usually available in craft stores).

Polyurethane glues (Gorilla Glue is one brand) are really-really strong so they should work.  You could use just a small amount but keep in mind Gorilla Glue is yellow and also swells while curing so needs to be clamped/weighted and also have any that extrudes out wiped away during that curing.

Not sure liquid clay would work well in that situation so not surprised there.  And hot glue really isn't all that strong for nonporous things, without a mechanical hold.

That's a difficult adhesive situation though so you'd be better off to use a mechanical hold of some kind, or to use a mechanical hold along with an adhesive hold (glue, etc).  
Some of the things that would give mechanical hold would be to wire the pieces onto the clips (using hole through the cookie or adding a clay or other shank to the back side like you would a button**) --or you could just wrap the end of the clip a bit with thin wire then use the glue so the glue would have something to wrap itself around to create a mechanical hold.
Or you could do something like is often done when attaching metal pin backs and french barrettes to clay which is to use clay to wrap around or through some part of the non-clay piece (e.g., around the entire end of the clip, through the opening in the end of the clip, etc); it would be good to use liquid clay if baking raw clay on the clip, or another strong glue if attaching after baking the wrapping clay.  
You could also try roughing up the surface (then cleaning well) for any of the glues (which would give a small bit of mechanical hold).

You can get more info and ideas about making hair items with clay on this page at my site, if you're interested:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/jewelry.htm (click on Barrettes)
And there's more info on glues/adhesives and clay here:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm

** http://glassattic.com/polymer/buttons.htm (click on Shanks & Attachers)

HTH,
Diane B.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010 09:45:04 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Ashejane
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010 01:24:28 PM »

I'd have to second the wiring idea. It shouldn't be too difficult to attach wire to the backs of the cookies, that coupled with an adhesive should give you a secure hold.

If you're still having trouble you might post a couple of pictures so we can see the type of clips and what you're attaching.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Collecting Vintage Sports Cards
Collecting Sports Cards
What Sports Cards Should I Collect
Maintaining, Protecting and Displaying Your Sports Card Collection
Selling a Vintage Sports Card Collection
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...