A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miniature Tudor Home (Extremely Image Heavy)  (Read 3984 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 29, 2010 05:34:55 PM »

*drum roll*

This has been my project over the last two weeks, give or take a couple of days:

The house is a Tudor style wattle and daub structure. It's two stories, the bottom being smaller than the top. The bottom is a 3x3 inch floor and the top is a 3x4 inch. Each floor comes apart and is decorated inside. This means the house is "enterable", which also includes miniature stairs from one floor to another.

To begin with, the walls are made from foam core. You can get foam core from Dollarama in Canada if you want to go on the cheap (Maybe try Dollar Tree in the states?), but if you want a better quality, go with the Elmers foam core you can get from Staples. It will have a more secure top coating, will cut easier and straighter and you will end up with a better finished piece over all.

^ Here are the floor and walls after just being cut out.

^To keep the dimensions, I cut into the foam core, leaving only the paper bit remaining with an Xacto knife so that the walls can slide in easier. Here's what it looks like with all four:

^Before the walls go in, I do the floor - for this, I've used wooden stir sticks that I get from Party Packagers.

^When the floor is done, I take a black pen and add nail marks on all the boards.

^Then, instead of painting the floor (which you can do, I just prefer doing it this way), I take a stain pen (you can get them at Michaels, other craft stores and probably other home improvement places), here I've used a cherry stain pen. Something I would also recommend doing, though I forgot to do it here - is to first paint your floor black so that you don't see the white beneath. But that's me getting very picky.

^Here's the first floors walls up, and I cut out the area where I want a window to go.

^For the stairs, I cut out two pieces of foam core, measuring how high they needed to go and where in the house it would fit - and then used stained stir sticks, gluing them into place to create lovely wooden stairs.

^Here I've begun to use balsa wood as the wooden support and decorative beams of the house. I've also put "wallpaper" inside the house, which is actually a very pretty blue sheet of scrap booking paper with a nondescript design on it.

^The top floor slides into place on top of the bottom. I have covered the seams with balsa wood so it does not look like it comes apart.

^For this project, I did not want to cut out the windows and do it that way - so what I did was take small squares of cardboard, box it with round toothpicks, paint it black, and then paint the middle white, and then drawing a criss-cross pattern in black. And then on the *inside* of the house, where the windows would be, I made "curtains" out of a fat quarter of fabric I bought from Wallmart. I used a (painted black) toothpick as the rod for each curtain and simply glued them in place.

^ I used dried parsley as the ivy that covers the house - I will definitely use it again as it looks way better than flocking or static grass. It makes it look much more detailed as well.

^The completed stairs inside the house. They are not glued on, in case I need the stairs for another project.

And now for completed project pictures:

^And the roof is once again a cereal box, with some foam core, balsa wood beams, covered in long slits of more cereal box, painted with many coats and then flocking on top to look like a mossy older roof.

(My apologies if any of the final pics are a bit dark - it was thunder storming outside and I was taking them on the back porch)

I'm quite happy with it over all. At first I was just going to build a house for looks and not make it usable for D&D/wargaming, but the husband talked me out of it. Hopefully this looks okay Smiley

Feel free to ask any questions you have, post any comments, etc.

Also...I'm always up for some swapping Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010 06:01:39 PM »

That is awesome! I would love to see more of what you have made, even the D&D stuff, I always like to look at miniatures LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010 06:07:43 PM »

You, my lovely friend, are totally awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010 06:15:43 PM »

Wow! I absolutely LOVE this! I love the hardwood floors and the little curtains and EVERYTHING else! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010 06:59:59 PM »

This would be great for Warhammer!
Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Incorporeal

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010 07:24:52 PM »

Oooooh, I LOVE it! I keep meaning to try something like this, as I've been reading about painting miniatures and making diorama's and the like a lot lately. Your little house turned out wonderful looking, and it's great to see that something so lovely can be done with things already on hand around the house and a few store bought additions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fine, fine, I finally made a Pinterest
FallenPixiePhoenix
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010 06:44:29 AM »

This is so pretty!!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010 12:16:43 PM »

So cool! There's so many miniatures on this board, I can't believe this is where you guys have been hiding them! 

I dont get the D/D thing. you actually use the pieces you make for them?  Where can I learn about such a phenomenon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arachnea
Geek Extraordinaire

Geeky Craftaholic

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010 05:12:55 PM »

Thank you so much everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maytina
knitting is hot

just keep knitting!

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010 07:17:20 AM »

That is so rad I don't even know what to say.  Shocked

Amazing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Puppet Theater
How to Create a Monkey Puppet
How to Make a Rug Out of Scrap Fabric
How to Weave with a Loom
How to Spin Yarn on a Spinning Wheel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...