A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Create your own Boye Needlemaster interchangeable cables!  (Read 60383 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , needle , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisgoodlife
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013 06:51:07 PM »

AWESOME! Thank you so so much! I was so GRRR to find out my Boye interchangeables didn't have cables available longer than 21".  Roll Eyes ROCK ON with the doing it yourself & thanks for showing me how to, also!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wiggllestc
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013 06:44:17 PM »

I've contacted Simplicity numerous times asking what it would take to get then to make a 40" cable - no stupid connectors - for the Boye Needle Master.  The reply is always the same,  "We have forwarded it to our Marketing Dept."  Translation - It isn't worth our time.  I even forwarded the web sites of other companies that make knitting needle sets, noting their lovely flexible cables with lengths up to 60" - no connectors.  Clearly they were not interested.  So, I started researching alternatives and luckily I found you.  Today I finally assembled all the materials and put together not 1 but, 4 new long, smooth, and wonderful cables that work perfect.  Thank you Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mauoijenn
Future Ms. Lord Vader

Crafted in 1978...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013 02:25:03 PM »

My cables are always breaking.
This is truly what I needed to see today.
I'm headed to the craft store with the boytoy to get what I need to make a bunch of these.  Thanks so much for sharing!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... so many ideas ... so little time ... We are about to MOVE!! (crafting for my family's new crib)

"I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year." - To Kill a Mockingbird
TShanafelt
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013 08:20:25 PM »

Ooh, I may have to try this. I don't know if it's a fluke, but I got a bad set of cables in my Needlemaster. One of them has a piece of the plastic chipped off so it's constantly catching my yarn and another has an end where the screw twists around so it kinks up when I'm knitting.
I may have to snag your buffer idea too because one of my size 10s has a rough lip that keeps snagging whenever I knit with it. Hopefully I can sand it down because it's not functional right now.
Thanks for the post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatlesfan
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013 06:11:43 PM »

I know that it's been several years since you posted this but I just found it! I am so glad I did! Thank you so much for posting it. I just ordered the supplies from Amazon and am going to make them as soon as possible. I can't wait to get usable cables! I bought my Boye Needlemaster interchangeable cable set on sale at Michaels and I hate the plastic cable. Even on sale, they were very expensive so I am glad that I can fix them. They are so stiff that I hate knitting on them! I hope I will be able to do this and thanks again for posting it!
I have a question. Can any of the parts of the old cable be used for the new ones?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sonia
beatlesfan
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013 07:41:56 PM »

It is 7pm on friday June7,2013 and I received my supplies from Amazon earlier today. I just finished making 3 flexible cables for my Boye Needlemaster! It was surprisingly easy. Ok, I have a problem, I can't cut the screws. I guess I'm not strong enough to cut them with wire clippers! I am going to think of another way to cut them. They look beautiful! I didn't have super glue like you say in your instructions but I had 5 minute epoxy so I used that. Now, I can use my tips in any size as magic loop. I am so happy! If I can do it anyone can! Those instructions were so perfect! You did a great job with that Tutorial!  Thank you so much for posting! Now....how do I cut those screws!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=360820.0#axzz2VNRgY6dV
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sonia
bebedechocolate
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013 08:33:47 AM »

That is seriously cool.  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap!  I can sew, knit, and crochet.  I have a 9 year old who loves to do swaps as well so we can do a mommy/daughter swap package. Smiley
beatlesfan
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2013 03:47:43 AM »

I did it! I made 4 of them and they are perfect and beautiful! I made one super long and I use it for magic loop. I want to thank you for a super great Tutorial! I only had one problem. I couldn't cut the screw no matter what I used or how hard I tried. I called my son-in-law over for coffee and had him cut them for me! oh, and I didn't have super glue so I used clear 5 min. epoxy and it worked really well. Where there's a will there's a way! Again, thank you so much for this tut! LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sonia
jojojovich
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013 07:26:20 AM »

Opening my Boye case this morning, seeing NO cables, has me considering making my own per this amazing tutorial. Thank you for taking the time to make this super-useful + hilarious/cute tutorial!

It seems I could also make replacement knitpicks cables, once I find out the thread size for their tips?  Will head to hardware store and post, hopefully!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fringey
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2013 09:36:34 AM »

Thanks so much for this! It's amazing and took way less time than i thought.

For those having trouble snipping the end off the screw, i used these threaded rods instead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006O8NZO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No snipping or additional sanding required, but they are a bit long so you have to use a longer section of tubing. I screwed the rod into on of my needles and then used the grippy pad thing (cut in half) that comes with the set to hold both the tubing and the needle to screw the tubing on. It gets a little tough to get the tubing on the further the rod goes in, but it is possible. There does seem to be some variation in the depth of the hole needle to needle, so check two or three of them to make sure there is no gap between the needle and the tubing.

The screws linked in the original post are steel which is very very hard to cut with most tools that are also usually steel. You may have better luck with a brass screw:

http://www.amazon.com/Machine-B18-6-3-Phillips-Threaded-Imported/dp/B00F2X96XM/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1387733294&sr=8-15&keywords=1-1%2F4%22+Length%2C+%232-56+Threads+brass

Brass is a softer metal but still pretty hard and probably more than sturdy enough for knitting needles. You should be able to cut it with steel. If you have little wire snippers for beading or something, that may still not work.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Union Sculpture by Suprina
The Dancer Sculpture by Suprina
Seduction Sculpture by Suprina
The Pregnancy Series by Suprina
Control Freak Sculpture by Suprina
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...