A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Create your own Boye Needlemaster interchangeable cables!  (Read 57093 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , needle , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilautumn
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010 04:10:57 PM »

That is incredible.  I can't wait to try it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EMERSON.
greekygirl
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010 05:48:23 AM »

so not crazy AT ALL! great tute, really great idea. i always hated the "z" on those needles, too!! thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mami.de.ami
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010 06:31:11 AM »

Genious! its absolutely impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grave_13
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010 05:45:09 PM »

That's awesome! Great tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchstuff
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010 11:27:49 AM »

Cutest. Tute.  Ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gizzybird
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010 11:48:37 AM »

I had bookmarked this to try with my needlemaster set which was one of the big reasons it took me so long to get into circular knitting. I found them clumsy to work with because of the stiff cables and weird bend. I thought that was just how circs were. It wasn't until someone convinced me to try another circ. that I found out how nice circ. knitting can be. I was considering spending $$ getting a better set until I saw your tute.

So, long story short, I went to Amazon today to order the supplies and I had to laugh when I saw the "suggested other items". You know, the ones that Amazon tells you that other customers bought with the same item you're looking at? I pulled up the weedeater line and Amazon tells me that other customers who bought that recently also bought screws (the exact size from your tute), tubing (again, the exact size from your tute), and of all things, a 4-sided nail buffer thingy. Lol! I bet people who haven't read your tute see those suggested items and think "WTF? Nail buffers, tubing and screws? What are people doing with this stuff?"  Huh  I think you've inspired a lot more people than you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhiteStarSams
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011 09:32:52 PM »

Made my first set tonight.  For anyone who's interested, if you can't or don't want to buy the parts on Amazon here are your probable local sources:

Screws - Radio Shack
Tubing - Auto parts store, ask for "gauge tubing"
Weed whacker line - any hardware store

I am having difficulty getting the cable to stay inside the tubing, the super glue isn't holding.  Maybe I need to try a different kind.  Other than that - piece of cake!  Thanks for the great tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rohr
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011 08:33:55 AM »

I purchased the screws, tubing, weed wire, and nail buffer from amazon for just under $30 with shipping. Nothing was on sale, but I couldn't wait to make this.

I tried it last night. It was very easy! All the pieces fit together beautifully. The tubing and screws are the ideal size. I used E-6000 flexible adhesive for the cable attachment. I will update on how well they've held up after knitting a few projects on them.

Thank you for taking the time to figure this all out and make this detailed tutorial. All of your little tips and photos really made it simple and highly useful. This has improved my Needlemaster set tenfold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Am The Walrus
hlagas
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011 08:24:43 AM »

Shocked Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
I'm so excited! I have three Needlemaster sets, because I'm always working on too many things at a time, and I really didn't want to order more cables because they just aren't friendly cables.  My son has been learning to use lots of tools this summer, so I believe he and I will be crafting some cable needles together!  Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to make such a fantastic tutorial.  As somebody else posted, you really are the McGyver of knitting!!  I wanna join your fan club!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SW
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011 09:36:43 AM »

I had to register on this site based on this post alone.  How awesome of an idea is this?!

I, too, have the Boye Needlemaster Interchangeable needles.  In fact, I have 2.  I bought 2 so that I could do 2-at-a-time sock knitting, or have multiple projects going on at once.  I definitely have a love/hate relationship with them, but I thought I was stuck with Boye brand stuff.  I cannot stand the cables or the joins.  But I adore the needles and the simplicity of having all the sizes I may ever need at my fingertips.  I also have a full range of straight needles, but sometimes I want to or need to use the cabled needles.

I even spent an hour online looking for a Boye 8" cable so that I can have 16" needles.  After an hour of Googleing and frustration, I came across this post.  Almost literally, a beam of light lit up my desk and angels started to sing.

I just ordered the stuff needed to make my own customizable cable system from Amazon.  It should be here Friday.  I cannot wait to make the 8" cable so that I will be able to easier make beanies for Christmas.

Anyways, this is my first post, and I wanted to say THANK YOU!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Midwestern Twist on Chicken Vesuvio
Southern Fried Chicken – Made by a Kentucky Native
Award-Winning Shrimp Linguini With Craig Hazelbaker in Cedar Rapids, IA
Barbecue Shrimp With Maze Jackson in Chicago, IL
6 Tips For Grilling Perfect Burgers: Labor Day Cooking Essentials
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...