A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Create your own Boye Needlemaster interchangeable cables!  (Read 61022 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , needle , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rheatheylia

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2010 04:54:32 PM »

So I bought the Boye Needlemaster set a while ago for a few reasons:

1. Price (cheapest set available, especially if you have a 40% off coupon, heh)
2. Tons of tips (2-15! no other set has this range of sizes)
3. Pretty colors (yeah, this is silly, but they're so purty!)

The cables that came with them, however, sucked. They're stiff, have a stupid bend at the start, and when you attatch two together it forms a "Z" bend in your cable that is hard to get your work to slide around.

So in a fit of insanity, I decided to make my own. I'd heard about people tapping the boye tips to fit the knitpicks cables, but not only would that mean buying knitpicks cables, but it sounded way easier (and cheaper) to make my own cables than to tap the metal tips (and probably destroy them).

I hesitated making a tute for this since it seems pretty extreme, making your own cables, but I figured if people are willing to take a tap and die to metal needles maybe someone would be interested in how to make their own cables. Plus they're easy to make, seriously, the only real skill you need is sanding/snipping a few things, and some measuring.

So after lots of measuring, trial and error, trying to find perfect materials, I got it, and let me tell you, these cables are awesome. They use weed whacker line (seriously) and are super super bendy. Plus since you're making them yourself you can make any length you want, I even have a cable short enough to make 16" circulars, and ones long enough for magic loop, so I pretty much can make any project that uses a needle size 2-15. You can make a cable the perfect size for making yourself sweaters in the round, and no need to screw two together to make a long cable, just make a long cable!

These are really easy to make, seriously. The hardest part is sourcing the materials, I got everything that wasn't laying around my house off Amazon.com, which was like 2 bucks for 10 feet of tubing and 100 screws, but now the price has gone up and it'd be around $10 (as of writing this) for the tubing and screws. The screws should be easy to find in a hardware store, not sure about the tubing though, if anyone knows if you can get it at a hardware store let me know so I can update this.

So not including the stuff laying around the house I spent probably 8 bucks total on this, and that's including 200 feet of weed eater line (that's a lot of interchangable cables!)

One more note, do not deviate from the required measurments (screw type and diameters of line and tubing) If you do you'll end up with useless cables. Plus this will only work with the Boye Needlemaster tips, the Knitpicks use a different size screw.

Items Needed:

1. Nylon Tubing - with an inner diameter of .075" and an outer diameter of .125"
  You don't need a ton of this, just a few inches for each cable.
  I'm not sure if you can get this at a hardware store or not, I got mine from here: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Nylon-Semi-Rigid-Tubing-Length/dp/B0013HUEYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1285791230&sr=1-1

2. Weed Eater Line - must be ROUND and must have a diameter of .065" or else it won't fit in the tubing
  Again, length isn't super important, a regular package will probably have enough line to make tons of cables.
  One cool thing about this is that it comes in different colors, so you can customise your cables (as long as it's round and has an diameter of .065")
  I got this off Amazon too, here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBIFG/ref=wms_ohs_product

3. Screws - 2-56 screws of at least a 1 inch, head style isn't important since you'll be cutting that part off
  Each cable takes 2 screws, so get at least enough for the amount of cables you want and a couple extra for mistakes.
  I'm sure you can get these at hardware stores, but I got mine off Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN1VUA/ref=wms_ohs_product

4. Superglue
  Can get this pretty much anywhere, super cheap too.

5. Medium/Fine Sandpaper
  I used a 150 grit I had lying around, grit isn't super important though since you'll be polishing with the nail buffer thing.

6. 4-Sided Nail Buffer/File
  These things should be pretty cheap, they have 4 different sides that gradually get finer, meant for buffing your nails to a shine but I find them really useful for smoothing/shining things.
  You should be able to find these at any drugstore/grocery store.

7. Wire Clippers
  Used for cutting the screws off, I used the pair from my husband's toolkit.

8. Ruler
  Used for measuring how long to cut the Weed Eater Line

Instructions:

With your sandpaper file the nylon tubing down so there's a gradual taper from the tube to the edge, you can cut a few inches off to make this easier.

Now use the nail file/buffer to smooth the taper you just sanded, do the first step until it feels uniform in smoothness, and continue for each of the "stages" of the nail file until you complete the "shine" or "polish" stage (the fourth stage). At this point the tubing should come to a nice, smooth, tapered point.

Next cut the tubing so your tapered bit is about 1" long, doesn't need to be perfectly that length, if the clippers flatten the hole in the tubing a little just gently squeeze it back into an "o" shape.

Lightly sand the cut edge to prevent any snagging that may happen while knitting.

Now sometimes the sanding of the tapered end will fill in the hole

if this happens just thread the weedeater line in the opposite end to push out the shavings

after pushing the shavings out you'll probably need to sand the tip a little more

Cut a length of weedeater line 9" shorter than you want the circular needle to be (each tip is 4 inches, each nylon tube is 1" minus 1/2" for the amount of line that goes in each nylon tube)

When you cut the line try to cut it at a slant to make inserting it into the nylon tube easier.

Insert the line into the tube to make sure it fits and the join feels smooth, if it doesn't, take the line out and sand the nylon tube again, if it does, put a drop of superglue on the tip of the line, and insert the line halfway into the tapered edge of the nylon tube.

Once the glue is completely dry take a screw and screw it into the opposite end of the tube, you can use a pair of pliers to make this easier, just be sure not to damage the threads of the screw. You can use glue on the screw, but you'll have to screw it in really fast before the glue dries. I don't glue the screw and I've never had one come loose, just screw it in a far as you can get it to.

With your wire clippers cut the screw head off, leaving only 1/4" inch of threaded area sticking out from the tubing. Your clippers will probably leave the cut end rough, this makes it hard to screw into the needle points, so take your sandpaper again and just file the edges of the cut end of the screw until it looks smooth and screws into the needle point easily. Be sure to get it nice and smooth before trying in in the needle though, don't want to strip your needle tips!

Now repeat for the second end (omitting, of course, cutting a new line and such, heh)

Now you're done! Revel in the awesome cables you just made!      

Maybe I'm crazy for doing this, lol, but if anyone has questions/needs help/wants to try this, let me know how it goes!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010 07:12:24 PM by Rheatheylia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns
Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010 05:00:40 PM »

Cheesy  Who knew a tute for circular needles would make me chuckle and smile so much!  Your captions on the pics are uber clever. 

These look like they were store bought.  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Trolsk
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010 07:33:46 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
I can't wait to make a ton of these. I have too many projects going on at the same time and not enough cables to go around. This is such a perfect solution.
I haven't used the staight sticks in so long, I'm all about the circle!
I have one project right now that I am fighting with because of the fact that I had to screw two of the cables together, that darned Z in the middle is SUCH a pain!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rheatheylia

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010 09:03:31 PM »

Trolsk: I hope the tute works well for you! The first time I had to deal with that stupid "Z" bend I knew I had to do something, and since I had just bought the set I couldn't justify buying a different one (plus now I can make socks with my size 2 tips and my 40" cord, yay!)

elociNNicole:
Thanks Smiley I had too much fun doodling on the pictures, my husband was laughing at my captions Tongue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cables really fast to make, one cable only takes about 15 minutes, would be faster to do them assembly line style though, plus once you make them in every size you want you never need to make any more (unless you're like me and you want two of every size, just in case, lol)

Oh, and please share this with anyone and post the link to this tutorial wherever you like (any forums, websites, blogs where you think it may be useful to people) if you'd rather just post the entire tutorial somewhere just link back and give credit to Rheatheylia.com (I have it up there now on the home page, will hopefully have a separate tutorial section for it soon), the more people who are saved from horrible boye cables the better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns
Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010 05:55:07 AM »

This is fabulous. Thank you for sharing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mudbug1096
"It's a special kind of stupid"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010 05:54:32 PM »

Will you be my hero? Those are awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarabear
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010 09:14:32 PM »

This is GENIUS! Smiley

It's really impressive that you 1) came up with the idea in the first place, 2) took the time to sort out the proper measurements, screw size, tubing diameter, etc., and 3) made an incredibly clear tutorial!! I will definitely try this out, as I just got my Boye set a few days ago Smiley

Thank you sooo much for sharing--I love this idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitpurl
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010 03:27:17 PM »

I think that is one of the best tutorials I've read. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010 04:34:56 PM »

I think that is one of the best tutorials I've read. Thanks for sharing!

I agree! This is one of a kind. I never ever ever would have guessed that this was possible.

You're like the Macgyver of knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Phildude
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010 05:51:23 PM »

DUDE!! Cool your 1 hell of a genius serious cudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...