A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Create your own Boye Needlemaster interchangeable cables!  (Read 61156 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , needle , knitting_needle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkpenguin
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012 05:01:48 PM »

So fantastic! Like some of the other posters i was trolling the net looking for an alternative cable for my Boye needles collecting dust purely due to the hideous cables! I salute your ingenuity and creativity and especially thank you for sharing with all of us!

I live in Canada and Amazon charges an arm and a leg to ship me the materials plus the tubing would ship in 1 to 2 months. So... I managed to find the materials here locally in Oakville but had to buy in bulk. I have 100 screws and 33 meters of tubing if anyone out there needs some materials and wants to do a trade of some kind... or I can make you cables for a trade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmtrahan
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012 07:16:23 PM »

Did anyone have trouble with your trimmer line curling? I can't get it to straighten out... any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
banana731

procraftinator extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012 07:38:40 PM »

My trimmer line. Curls when it's not in use, and but when it was being used it didn't matter at all because it's so flexible.

I just wanted to comment on how awesome this tut is! I made a long cable for mgic loop with hat. And it to worked great!I'm about to make another really long one to knit up two socks at once.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm almost always typing with one hand...
Diane8706
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012 09:58:00 AM »

Does your January offer still stand, i.e., are you still willing to make the cable?  (I am looking for 40" and 32".)

If yes, what kind of trade are you interested in?

Thank you for your response.

Diane Graham
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JulieBeans
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012 12:35:59 PM »

Thank you so much! I just made 4 cables last night and have been using my new 40 inch to complete a shawl I have been working on. The Boye cables with those stupid connectors were driving me batty! I'm so happy I find this tutorial!! The new cables work beautifully. and your instructions are perfect. It only took me about 30 minutes to complete my first one but after that I made 3 more in only a matter of minutes (minus the dry time for the super glue). I highly recommend this to anyone with the Boye interchangeables to make some of these!!! Thanks again!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bretay
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013 09:07:21 PM »

I just got all the materials to make my new cables.Can't wait to get started.I don't like the Boye cables.Too stiff and never the size you want..This is something I have been trying to figure out for a long time..Thank you so much....Love it ,love it,love it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KirstenA70
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013 11:02:24 AM »

I was so happy to see this tutorial! I just bought my Boye set while it was on sale and had a coupon for 15% off my entire purchase including sale items right after Christmas. The tubing looks like air line tubing for aquariums, haven't dug my spare stuff up to confirm that yet but it looks DARN close. I have read through the posts and notice a lot of people talking about the weed whacker line curling. Soak it in warm water over night and then slowly pull it out of the container, over a rag or towel or face cloth to dry it as you take it out, and it should help to undo some of the natural curling it wants to do. The screws you show in the picture look a little bigger than what the screws on my needle set seem to be but I bet I could easily find them.

Like many of the more recent posters I joined this forum/group just so I could more easily see and comment on this post! Great Idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mdav480
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013 06:59:18 PM »

THANK YOU.  I had actually started to figure this out for my wife.  She was having no major probs with the Boye set, except that she wanted longer cables.  Had just matched the screw thread size when she showed me your article.  You saved me a ton of time.  I am a longtime DIY'er, and have to say your tutorial is one of the best I haver read. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013 11:37:57 AM »

I wonder if this works on the old Boye cables???  I have 3 sets that are a bit on the 'old' side ... from the 1960's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
ellenk
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013 08:22:48 AM »

This is a great idea!  However I as m having a heck of a time cutting the screws with a wire snipper.  The metal is too hard and the end gets mangled.  Any tips?

--- worked a bit more on this and have some solutions.  The wire cutters work if you put the screw near the joint rather than the tips of the blades.  However,   Irwin Industrial Tools 2078309 8-Inch Multi Tool Stripper, Cutter and Crimper (or something similar) from Amazon was even better.  It is designed to cut screws.

I also recommend cutting the screw a bit shorter than 1/4 inch if you to use the  cables with the smallest needles (without the adapter).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013 07:14:07 AM by ellenk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Light and Color in Your Photography
Practicing Patience in Photography
Exploring the Ordinary in Your Photographs
Using Light in Portraits
The Five Visual Draws
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...