A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 308,227
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maleficent's headpiece? (in-progress pics on pg2!)  (Read 21972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bingeandpurge
« on: September 28, 2010 07:36:21 PM »

So for Halloween this year I'm going to be Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, and I'm starting with the headpiece because that's going to be the most difficult.  I was thinking a fun spin on it would be to make the headpiece out of black and purple fake hair, which works out well because A. I already have all the hair supplies and B. My natural hair is dark purple so it should blend well.

I can't decide what to use as a base, though.  I want it as lightweight as possible, and something I can easily wrap and secure the hair to.  I want it pretty big, my only idea so far is some sort of wire frame?  I don't know how tricky that's going to end up being though, maybe I need something a little more solid.  
Also, how should I attach it to my head?  Maybe just mount it on a black headband?

I haven't done much of this type of crafting, mostly just light sewing, hair extensions, pasties, that sort of thing.  Nothing this...  substantial.   If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.  

Here's some fun pictures I've been using for inspiration!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 05:21:18 PM by bingeandpurge » THIS ROCKS   Logged
twiterpert
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010 08:04:27 PM »

Here you go. He talks about how the hair was done about ten minutes in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
KasmiraGypsy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010 08:31:27 PM »

Have you looked at carving the shape out of styrofoam? Thats pretty light weight and you can get them in cone shape too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvl0rg4n
lvl0rg4n says Morgan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010 09:41:09 PM »

I've just spent way too much time watching this guy's videos. I love him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CandidCrocheter

<3Live Fast<3Die Pretty<3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010 10:12:12 PM »

i would also say floral foam of some sort, its super carvable, light and easily could attach fabric hair etc to it with pins or something. i'd get like one large rectangle for the base and 2 other for the horns carve and attach with maybe some kind of post you could stick up through the base into the horns...idk just some thoughts
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bingeandpurge
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010 10:57:11 PM »

Oooh, thank you so much, that video was PERFECT, why didn't it show up in my Google searches?  Arrg!  The makeup tutorial is going to be a big help too, even though I can't afford MAC or Kryolan and probably won't do green skin since I might have to do a burlesque show that same night and need to be semi-versatile. 

I never even thought of using floral foam, which is shameful considering my mother used to be a florist.  I think that's going to be my course of action, I'll probably use floral wire to attach the horns to a big headband and then pin my natural hair up and around to hide the seams.  I might try to trim my bangs into a V, but I think it's more likely that I'll just use a TON of gel to make myself a devilock sort of thing.   
Sa-weeeet!

Now I just need to make myself a badass cloak with a giant collar and loooong ragged bell sleeves.

On an unrelated note, I finally convinced the boyfriend to let me make him a Dementor (from Harry Potter) costume, even though he absolutely does NOT do Halloween.  I blame his painfully repressed religious upbringing, but it's nice to know he'll make sacrifices for me.  Cheesy  A Dementor and Maleficent sounds like a very romantic pairing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MizzKodak
THE BIGGER THE BETTER

ALWAYS

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010 06:01:56 AM »

Ohhh I love Dementors!!!! My husband is going to be Lucious Malfoy, he ready has the super blonde long hair a d the piercing blue eyes, you guys are going to be so awesomely dressed....can't wait to see pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking For Mystery Science Theater 3000 Stuff Let's Swap!

Like Severus I Do It All For Love

Check Out My Etsy Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MizzKodaksTrunk?ref=pr_shop_more
cassiecate57
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010 07:35:28 AM »

If you aren't set on hair for the headpiece, I was thinking you might do electrical tape. Her headpiece is very defined and segmented, like horns. Hair doesn't quite fit the bill for me but it would look cute. That video tutorial was AWESOME.

I think I'm going to be Maleficent too, that's what brought me here Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010 09:05:38 PM »

Possibly paper mache if nothing else works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
bingeandpurge
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010 03:59:58 PM »

Oooh, electrical tape sounds like it would be pretty cool.  I was going to do the segmenting by using different colors of hair, like a sort of swirl of black and purples.  Gaaah, I really need to get started on it!  Time's running out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...