A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 307,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So I'm curvacious and I found my dream wedding dress..one problem Its too Big  (Read 1636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RamenQueen
« on: September 28, 2010 11:16:45 AM »

This gorgeous dress is the wedding gown I've dreamt about ...it shows off my best features ( legs and shoulders) One problem I wear a 20 in this designer ( according to the sizing chart) and its only avaiable in a 26.

Is it alterable?
Should I get it?
BTW the dress is only $99!!!!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Chiffon-Gown-Featuring-Tank-Bodice-9INT13307
Could I find a pattern and have someone ( i'd be too nervous) make it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010 11:48:50 AM »

Honestly, I think it all depends on your bust.  To alter that much detailing if the bust is three sizes too big would be difficult for a novice, or expensive to have done by a professional.  Personally, I'd get a pattern and some fabric and have it done from scratch.  That said, you should contact the seamstresses in your area, find out their prices, show them the pictures, tell them both the options you're considering.  Ask for photos of finished work and references.  On the one hand, you'll pay for the dress plus alterations, and on the other, you'll pay for the supplies plus construction.  See which way works out better.

For reference, this is just one pattern which has similar styling:  http://butterick.mccall.com/b4657-products-6860.php?page_id=155
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
star8kitten
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010 05:33:27 AM »

Someting to think about is that in bridal wear the sizes do not match ready to wear sizing.  For example I was a size 18 when I got married and my wedding dress was a size 24.  The whole industry is whacky when you start looking into.  I would go to a David's and try on some of thier dresses to see what size you are there.  That dress might not need that much altering afterall.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010 09:20:29 AM »

Thanks for the replies Ya'll

Aislynn- My bust small even for a RTW 18/20 gal. I did take a costuming class at my Uni and am still friend s with the director she may know someone who will make it at a resoanble rate from scratch and thanks for the apttern

star8kitten- I am in 3 weddings this year ( all via davids) and I am a perfect 20 in them all ( except length Im uber short) But this particualr dress is not available in-store I think I may make it from scratch

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
A Little Birdie Told Me
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Butternut Squash
You Otter Check This Out

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...