A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do I HAVE to ply?  (Read 1074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« on: September 27, 2010 07:55:03 PM »

So I just spun up my first yarn (4 oz. Teal 70% alpaca 30% silk from Abstract Fiber) and I love it, I'm so excited to crochet it into something. I set the twist and it's drying now, but do I really need to ply it to use it? and if so what do I ply it with? I only have 40ft (est.) so plying it back on itself really isn't an option. Any opinions would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010 03:15:44 AM »

Nope! If you don't ply it, it's called a single. I use them all the time.

In fact, I'm using a single made from wool (my beautiful man brought back from a trip for me to spin up - he spoils me!  Grin ) ss embroidery floss for a small-ish project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antsy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010 10:53:40 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010 02:23:39 PM »

If you want to try plying but don't want to give up yardage, you could ply with sewing thread or crochet thread.  I've done that a few times when I've wanted to ply but didn't want to lose half my yardage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010 10:56:49 AM »

There are NO RULES in spinning!!!  Yay!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Antsy
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010 12:49:15 AM »

Thank heavens for no rules! I already do things really weirdly, what with not drafting, just splitting the roving till it's the size I want,  spinning the spindle in my hand out to the side instead of letting it spin by itself, and wrapping my yarn around a child's chair back that's only a foot across.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010 01:53:19 PM »

You definitely don't have to ply, although usually you would already decide in the beginning if you want to spin a single or plied yarn, as a single will need far less twist to remain even. If you're starting out, plying is a great way to even out your yarn and take any excess twist out of it.

To keep the yardage, plying with sewing thread or crochet cotton, as has been said already, is definitely the best advice. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingskopos
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010 02:53:40 AM »

Nope, you don't have to ply Wink IMO the technique where you just add twist to wool is prettiest as singles - though if you want to ply, that'll work too!

There are no rules to spinning but there are loads of techniques for getting different kinds of results, so if you want to make different kind of yarn, you could check out these videos: part 1, part 2 and this trailer. Spinning the spindle in your hand is a totally valid technique btw Wink you can pretty much use it any way you like, even "upside down" like this girl
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010 02:54:51 AM by wanderingskopos - Reason: fixed links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Yoga Bag
How to Make String Lamp Shades
How to Comb Paint to Make Patterns
Handcrafted Cards Using Cookie Cutter Stencils
How to Make An Oversized Ironing Board
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...