A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Novice in need of clarification.  (Read 441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wolfwood
« on: September 27, 2010 03:57:58 PM »

Hello!
Three months and i finally join.

But anyway, I'm a rather novice sewer, i used a very..."picky" Singer model, not sure which one, but i wanted my own machine so i could do my own projects.

So, i have college some time next year (or the year after) so i don't have a lot in the way of money, and i wanted to know a few things.

First.

Is it a better deal to go with a Sewing/Embroidery combo machine, such as the Brother SE350? or is it a better deal to get two separate machines?

I would like to make some simple crafts to more complex clothes, and i wanted to do some embroidery as well with my own designe's, Is it more of a "Get an Okay combo machine for 100 bucks or get two different better machines for 150" kinda deal? or will the quality/price not differentiate much?

Second.

What is a Serger? i can't for the life of me figure it out.  Roll Eyes

Third.

What Machine would you recommend?  Cheesy

Thanks, hope to post my crafts soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010 03:51:24 PM »

I don't know about embroidery machines, do you really need one to start out? It is one of those weird things you could buy an inexpensive machine that might not work very well making you less likely to sew, or you could spend lots of money on a good machine and then decide that you don't really like sewing. So I don't know how to answer your question.

But a serger is a machine that uses multiple threads. Look inside your T-shirt you see all the stitching that is holding the seam together? That is what a serger does. It is used for sewing things together (works really well for knits) or for finishing the edge of fabric so it doesn't ravel. The multiple threads wrap the edge of the fabric so it won't ravel when washing etc. It also has a blade so it cuts off the excess fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010 10:18:33 AM »

Well first, I wouldn't buy separate sewing and embroidery machines.  An embroidery machine can typically do all the sewing a regular sewing machine can do PLUS embroidery.  If you're unsure about sewing as a hobby you could get a basic, no frills sewing machine for around $100, and then grow from there.  However, if you know that you want to do this, you've tried it out, and are enthusiastic, plan on spending a minimum of $300 on a combo machine.  I'm normally not one to say that you need to spend that much to get started, but the cold fact is that embroidery machines are expensive by themselves, not counting all their accessories, thread, etc.  At Joann's the embroidery thread is 2-2.5 times more than regular sewing thread.  Something to keep in mind if you're on a budget.

Like hoxierice said, a serger is something else entirely.  You can sew without one, you'll just have to learn about seam finishing techniques if you want finished inside seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Elegant Updo Hairstyle
The “Sock-Bun” Hair Fake-Out
Transform Your Face Shape with the Right Blowout
How to Keep Your Hair Color from Fading
Prive Salon Shows You How to Take a Pretty Braid from Day to Night
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...