A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,859
Currently Running With Scissors:
814 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1950s Secretary Burlesque Outfit [image heavy][nsfw possibly?]  (Read 2671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dicentra
« on: February 28, 2012 12:39:39 PM »

My burlesque troupe, Rigor Mortis Revue, performed back in November at the Kentucky Tattoo Convention in Lexington, KY myself as well as some of the other girls took a super long road trip from Philadelphia down there to perform several numbers.

I first got the idea to do this number when sitting around the house listening to my boyfriend's Itunes, a strange song came on and I knew it would perfect for a burlesque number it was I need you by Shelly Duvall. I built up this whole image in my head of what it would be, a zombie secretary obsessed with her boss. I sketched up an outfit and came up with the most gorgeous and intensive costume I've put together yet (well maybe not as intensive as my dress robes). Here is my costume for the number. I sewed together everything but the top the gloves and the stockings, everything else I either made or embellished all by myself =)

Here you can see the skirt, shoes and hat that I made for the outfit (hair and make-up done by me as well)

A close up of the front of the fascinator

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304731_2450808148164_1190801076_33038811_1484667610_n.jpg
Here you can see more of the details of the fascinator that I made, it's made from french netting, green/black shift taffeta, there is a flower i made from the taffeta as well as some tule, mesh and chiffon and lace i had sitting around and the center has grey swarovski elements in it and the whole thing sits on a black&green feathered semi-circle

photos of the skirt in action!

You can see a little more of the shoes and the HUGE petticoat I wore to make the skirt all flouncy <3

Here is the beautiful beaded bra I made to go with the whole thing, there are tons of layers of trim and I covered an old bra and completely reconstructed parts to give it the perfect look.

Here you can see more details of the bra (wonderfully modeled by my pillow who is also modeling the super awesome spiderman pillow case I made for it)

The back of the bra

The original shoes, both a before and after I pulled everything off of them

The shoes once I was finished with them, and my cat who refused to move for the photo

A side view so you can see the beautiful trim I used

The pasties to top the whole thing off

I also made panties to go with it but I only have a shot of them on me so I figured I'd go without adding those in. Plus since I performed my number I have bedazzled them with gorgeous rhinestones!

[EDIT: I finally got around to adding the front piece of lace and bedazzling it]

I hand laid over 150 rhinestones in a gradient from white to yellow to green to black. Took about 3 hours with breaks and time to look up and watch grey's anatomy but not too bad if I do say so myself.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013 07:32:30 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnight

I live where hens catch mice and cats lay eggs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012 12:57:39 PM »

very original idea and a wonderful costume to go with! I love the impact the costume has, the effort you put in was totally worth it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight_Satyne

Waxing Lyrical and Tripping the Light Fantastic
FaerieCyn
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012 02:04:17 PM »

First off, AMAZING concept for a burlesque number!! You Rock!!!

Secondly, this whole outfit is beautiful. The bra looks flawless. The Petticoat and everything is just gorgeous!! You did an amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an Unseelie pixie with a big imagination and access to thrift stores.
 My Wist: http://www.wists.com/FaerieCyn
whatthepuck
I touched the Stanley Cup!!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012 05:51:07 PM »

Amazing! I especially love the shoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012 08:09:22 PM »

Everythiing is gorgeous! Great job! I especially love the bow on the back of the bra to cover the clasp, its just one of those little details that makes the whole outfit.

Great job on your makeup too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012 09:56:19 PM »

Love it! You did a wonderful job. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
Naantje
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012 10:51:14 PM »

Honestly can't decide which part of your costume I like best. The skirt ... The fascinator ... That bra ... Those shoes. You've made me very curious as to the look of the panties, can you perhaps model them on your spider-man pillow too?

Hitting "this rocks", because it does!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Gawd
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012 11:03:23 PM »

I love everything! You used my favorite colors. Cheesy I'd love to know how you made the shoes, I've had a few very unsuccessful attempts to cover old shoes..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Exhumed

"Someday is not a day of the week".
Dicentra
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012 07:01:18 AM »

The shoes were hard and I kinda messed them up but they're only for stage use so it didn't matter to me if they weren't perfect, I got glue alll over the outside of the fabric. I basically just laid the fabric over the shoes cut a similar pattern to their shape and glued it to it. I used an exacto to cut away all the extra and then put a black trim along the top edge of the shoes...Adding the bow also helped to cover some of my mistakes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Talent Ashley Bryan Wish He Had
Eric Boehlert Discusses His Book Lapdogs
Get to Know Author Thomas Leveritt
Joseph Maroon on the Importance of Longevity Genes
You and Your Money with Alvin Hall
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...