A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,310
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Broke? Make your own chain drop earrings! (*with tutorial*)  (Read 14136 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , earrings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amerigirl05
« on: May 19, 2005 08:03:25 PM »

So, like everyone else who doesn't get paid much, I found these earrings that I loved but couldn't afford:

Of course, I tried to make them. And even though I'm a moron, I got pretty close. The first pair (which took 2 nights, because... yep, I'm a moron):

And the second pair (which took 25 minutes):

If anyone wants to recreate these, I'd love to see any improvements you can make!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 12:21:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005 08:42:24 PM »

Ooooh those are beautiful! I love the dangly chains... very pretty! Great job Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
amerigirl05
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005 08:45:13 AM »

Thanks! my boyfriend called them "Sharon Stone ballroom earrings," although he was a little tipsy so I'm not sure he knew what he wa saying... it sounded good, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005 08:27:41 PM »

oo i love those! and I can imagine that they're pretty easy. I'm just thinking of a pair of these in every color possible.. oh i do love earrings.

what kind of beads did you use? I esp. love the green ones!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amerigirl05
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005 09:53:42 PM »

what kind of beads did you use? I esp. love the green ones!

Actually, they're yellow, although they do look green in the pic because of the grass in the background (didn't realize that unitl you mentioned it!). I think they're lemon quartz, although they've been hanging around my bead box for so long I could be wrong.  And the red ones, if you're intereseted, are faceted glass.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TabaRhodes
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005 11:10:16 PM »

sooooo pretty! i like them better than the ones you were copying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005 11:18:38 PM »

Lovely! I wish i could make those... you did a great job!! Call me jewelry-deficient, but how did you do it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005 01:28:49 PM by TheEverFalling » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
justlease
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005 12:55:05 PM »

Those are damn fantastic.  I also prefer yours to the ones you're emulating.  You should be extremely satisfied with yourself, kiddo.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, are you a badfish too?

scattered-knitting.blogspot.com
amerigirl05
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005 11:57:15 AM »

Thank you, I am pretty pleased with myself. The first pair took a long time, because I figured out how to make one and then went, "Oh crap, now I have to make another one!?" I also used a crimp bead on wire on the first one, which wasn't easy. On the second pair, I surrounded the glass bead with silver seed beads to make it centered. Much easier.

Basically, you take a length of wire however wide you want the earring. Put a loop on one end (and remember to make a duplicate of everything you're doing for the second earring!!), but don't close it all the way. Put seed beads on the wire until you reach the middle, then slide on your drop. Put equal amount of seed beads on other side. Loop the other end of the wire, but again, don't close it.

Now, figure out the lengths of chain you want. Cut 6 pieces in 3 different lengths. Attach the shortest piece first by sliding it into on of the loops in your wire (the one with the drop). Attach it to the other side. Do the same with the other pieces of chain. Don't close your loops yet. Figure out how far down you want the earring from the ear wire. I cut a piece of chain, attached it to each loop, closed the loops, and attached the ear wire at the midpoint of this last chain. So it makes a triangle /\ with the ear wire on top. And then you make the other side!

Hopefully that isn't way too confusing. I think if you look at the picture you can see how the directions work. If you make some, post a picture because I want to see how other people improve them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShiningStar
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005 12:56:06 PM »

I really like these.  I'll try my best to do my own.  Oh yeah, you are not a moron.   Thanks for the ideas and the instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Do with the Holiday Leftovers?
Ham and Mushroom Pasta Bake Recipe
Slow-Cooker Pear and Apple Butter Recipe
How to Make Fried Eggs
How to Make Poached Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...