A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 dresses, 3 skirts (13 photos) all tie dyed (tutorial p. 2)  (Read 4680 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

N30Nb100d
« on: September 24, 2010 06:52:52 PM »

Over the past few years I made some tie dyed dresses and skirts, but I never got around to posting them until now (at least I don't think I did  Tongue )
All of these are recycled cotton/poly blend sheets that I dyed with fiber reactive dye.
(Side note: I'm putting this here instead of the dying board because I think I put more effort into the sewing of each of these than the dying. Hope that's alright.)

So I'll start with the most recent (though these aren't in any particular order). It was originally going to be for my mom, but she didn't like how it looked on her so I wear it instead. I made it last year or even before then, but I didn't dye it till a few weeks ago, so it's not really recent but let's pretend. It's 4 tiers that get wider/taller as they go down:

before dying:

This one has the raw edges exposed on the tiers and bottom (though you can't really see that).

The dress has shirring from top to waist. I zigzagged over elastic while stretching it.
First before dying:

and after:

The next two are a little different. I dyed the fabric first, then made stuff out of it.

My least favorite of the bunch. I don't hate it enough to take it apart and make something else, but I haven't worn it yet because I'm not sure about it...
This is the only one out of all of these where I immersion dyed the fabric (a large piece that was solid, and then a stripe that I tied up). Usually I use squirt bottles to tie dye.

And finally, one more dress. The shirring is the same as the other dress, except it's an empire waist instead.
The fabric:

The dress:

Thanks for looking! I love any kind of comments/critique/questions so please tell me what you think  Smiley
Also, I did take a couple (really, two) progress pics of the last dress, so if you're interested in a mini-tutorial, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010 05:26:08 PM by N30Nb100d » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010 07:01:07 PM »

I LOVE THEM ALLLL! great great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010 07:34:52 PM »

These are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
Fontiua
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010 08:32:12 PM »

love the tye dyes very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
budpiper
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010 12:24:47 AM »

these are really great. i never knew you could zig zag over the elastic to make it shirred, i have had a go at shirring on the machine but have not done to well with it:(

i would love a tute if you are able.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010 06:24:10 AM »

I love that these are made from sheets, they look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
N30Nb100d
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010 02:03:14 PM »

these are really great. i never knew you could zig zag over the elastic to make it shirred, i have had a go at shirring on the machine but have not done to well with it:(

i would love a tute if you are able.

Would you like one just for the shirring, or for the whole dress? (it's not that big a difference... but if you'd like the whole dress, I'll be more detailed)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
E-mack
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010 03:58:39 AM »

I love the dyeing and the sewing !  Any chance when you give us a tute that you can also explain how you did the dyes ?  Its been years since I tackled anything like that - and then it was only on T Shirts for the kids. (Dylon in the washing machine...)
Cheers
E :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeofra
Crafty McCraftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010 11:55:24 AM »

Love, love, love, LOVE!!!! I still can't believe they are all made out of sheets! I really like the long tiered skirt and the red and yellow colors. Always wanted to make a skirt like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010 02:28:35 PM »

I would love a tut too, if you don't mind!  I for sure want to know about the shirring.  I'd also love to see how you did the dying, as that is something I don't know anything about but I do want to post to the dying board so I am stocking up info!

Even if you don't get to put up a tut, I had to stop in and say that I love all of these dresses and that they look adorable on you.  Makes me wish I was built a little different on top to be able to wear a shirred top like that - DD's tend to look bigger, not smaller, in tops like that! lol.  Great great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cara Delevingne And Rita Ora To Design Fashion Line Together
Top Swimsuit Trends For Summer
Is Olivia Palermo Going Back to Reality TV?
Make a Splash With 3 Gorgeous Poolside Outfits
Running in Style This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...