A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good Juju Dolls (for a wedding)  (Read 6993 times)
Tags for this thread: doll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2004 06:49:29 PM »

Like a lot of people who have devoured the messages on this board, I'm excited to actually post some original content myself. Yay me! (Now I just have to see if I can do it correctly.)

These are reduced scans of the fronts and backs of two good juju dolls I made for a friend's wedding. They are still rather small at actual size -- I think the reduction is about 50%. What was fun about doing these dolls, though, was that they were completely personalized to the couple getting married: She is made of an ocean-themed fabric (born and raised in San Diego) and he is a sort of batik (to honor his inner hippie).

The color is a little more accurate in the bottom scan, while the top scan shows some of the detail. I took a few weeks to do them so that I collected little bits of pieces of things that made me think of the couple so I could add to the dolls coming up to the wedding. The little silver/crystal hearts they are wearing are attached to them with spring clasps so that they can be removed (and exchanged).

They were also made with a pillow-slip sort of method so that they are actually open in the back. You can see the opening on his doll from the back. That means that I could continue to cram things into the dolls, and they can do likewise as they see fit. (It also made sewing the faces and adding the hair easier to do after the dolls were sewn and right-side-out.)

My husband and I were both in the wedding which took place in California (we live in Michigan) -- we both stood up for the groom, actually. I was the Best Chick. After the ceremony, I slipped the box with the two dolls in it into their suite at the B&B we were all staying in so they could find them as a surprise. A lot of people might have found the whole thing a little creepy, but... well, those people wouldn't have me standing up in their wedding.

-Dorion

P.S.
Unfortunately, you can't see it clearly in the photos, but he has little plastic ants in his hair! If you knew Mark, you'd totally understand why. (He's a nature boy.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007 10:18:23 AM by Dorion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004 06:56:43 PM »

Shocked  

I LOVE those!!!
those are really fun!  So you filled them with stuff that reminds you of each of them too? This is such a cute idea!  
It would be cut eto make them for  loved on & put "fortunes" or quotes in them as well as other little stuff.  
I love that there are ants in his hair!  LOL
Beautiful work!

Julie

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004 07:12:03 PM »

Thank you!

They are stuffed lightly with regular old polyfill, and then there are additional things dispersed inside like half a pistacchio shell, tiny pebbles, dried lavender (from my yard) which also made the dolls smell fab (could double as the little packets you put in your sock drawer... I want to say "sashay" but I know that's not it). Pretty much whatever reminded me of them.

I made one in a custom-outfitted cigar-box coffin (lined in hot pink satin!) for Teller of Penn-and-Teller fame for his birthday as well. It was also made to look like him and had little totems in the casket with him. I never took any pictures of it. I have a bad habit of doing that -- I figure if I am making something specifically for someone, it always belonged to them even before I started making it, so I don't have "the rights" to take pics of it. (I'm trying to remember to at least take pictures for my own records.)

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixielily
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004 08:27:09 PM »

those are fabulous! great job!

i love that you made one for teller...did you give it to him? how'd he react? were you nervous about giving it to him? last summer i made a "happy trails" cigar-box shrine for glenn tilbrook (of "squeeze" fame) and gave it to him (after insisting that he NOT open it in front of me!) his reaction was incredible! he'd been having a bit of a hard time on his US tour, and the night i gave it to him, he'd given what he thought was a really terrible performance (i thought he was wonderful, but could tell he was tired.) being total glenn geeks, we went to see him again the next night, and he was a man transformed, full of energy, beaming with pleasure...he approached us as he headed for the stage & said "i LOVE that box!" then, after the show, he invited us to hang out in the RV w/ him, and proceeded to tell me how the shrine had turned him around, reminded him how much fun touring is, and rejuvenated him. it made me feel great to know that i'd been able to give something back to someone who has given me such pleasure.  Grin

here's to sharing the crafty joy!
~pixie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams." ~W.B. Yeats
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004 10:08:11 PM »

Holy cow, pixielily! How much fun is that?!

I have given things to Teller in person and he is -- much to the surprise of many -- very talkative off-stage. (He's also charming, tremendously intelligent, and gracious as all get-out.) I have sent him a couple of hand-made things for his birthday, including the doll and, a few years ago, a me-designed cross-stitch of a Japanese hissing beetle in a bamboo frame. P&T are both VERY appreciative of their fans and if you ever see them in person, make sure you catch them in the lobby after the show. (At least, that's how it always used to be... I haven't seen them since they became regulars in Vegas.)

Anyhoo, here is the only time I thought to have a camera with me. Teller is holding in front of him a small silver rose/dagger pin that I gave him that night. How cute is he?! (And I look like my head is about to explode.)

-Dorion

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/giantsquid/teller.jpg
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013 12:51:28 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004 09:29:26 AM »

Shocked Those are beautiful!
I NEED to make...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
pixielily
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004 05:29:36 AM »

dorion, that's GREAT! glenn is very much the same with his fans, very accessible & friendly, always makes it a point to come out after the show to visit with his fans, smile for pics, etc. (my gf even has his autograph tattooed on her arm, but that's another story!)

now i'm thinking i might want to make him a juju doll for his next tour...i'm imagining all sorts of possibilities! my sewing abilities leave a LOT to be desired, but surely i could manage this.  Huh i actually like them at the size they're showing up on your post, but i suppose it would be more difficult to make them that tiny?

thanks again for sharing your brilliant idea. Smiley  (and thanks for posting the pic of you & teller; in ALL our pics of us w/ glenn we look like we've got terminal grins!) Grin

~pixie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams." ~W.B. Yeats
joeyjojo666

Long Live Godzilla.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004 10:37:01 AM »

I am lovin the juju dolls. For a wedding present (the best one) I received a "Voodoo Love Goddess" from my friend Marten that he bought in New Orleans. It totally reminds me of these dolls. I like the idea of filling them with personal goodies. Thanks for sharing this with us.

And Pixielily, is that a picture of you that you have on your posts? It's very cute.

-Joey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my latest stuff visit my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=727

Also featured at:
http://www.ilikeseamonsters.com/catalog/
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004 03:24:50 PM »

I have a small (and growing) collection of juju/voodoo dolls/poppets from various artists and different areas. I have a couple from New Orleans, including one to "make your woman wild!" I bought that for myself, for some odd reason. I also have a juju that someone made from a Barbie doll, customizing her body into this big fabric eggplant-shaped thing that's just faboo.

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hopeevey
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004 05:36:45 PM »

Those dolls are lovely!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write an Autobiography
How to Avoid Run-on Sentences
How to Become a Better Writer
How to Get Motivated to Write a Novel
How to Get a Job Writing Reviews
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...