A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday Sep 24  (Read 2733 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 24, 2010 03:55:04 PM »

So why at after 630 pm am I starting this?? I know you are out there!

I have 3 skeins of yarns. They are really stuff sitting around on bobbins that I finally plyed. I got The Gentle Art of Plying video..wow..great if ya haven't seen it!

First up is superwash merino from Sheep Shed dyed by Carole. It was going to be one whopper skein but it broke on the ball winder when I made a center pull ball to ply it on it's self.

This is the spunky ecclectic I spun last week.

Hope you all have a great crafty week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010 04:38:57 PM »

What beautiful yarn Nutmeg!! I have been taking pictures, otherwise I would have started this earlier.

This is my third spun yarn on a drop spindle. My first two attempts are not worth sharing.
I got this roving from loves2experiment in the Spring Fiber Swap.
http://And this is the resulting yarn. I love the colors. I plied it with some brown shiny upholstery thread.

It was still really kinky when I unwound it, but I let it soak for over 4 hours, and it turned out perfect!

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010 05:02:52 PM by YarnWranglerC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
blackie.sage
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010 06:37:51 PM »

When I woke up this morning (*coughafternooncough*) I was hoping there was going to be a thread going, but there wasn't. Since this is my first time posting on fiber friday I didn't want to start the thread.   Tongue

To be completely honest, I have no idea what kind of fiber this is. It's super soft, but won't felt and I can't get it to set. It soaked for hours and it's still all twisty and kinky. Plus it was hard to work with because some pieces were different lengths. I originally got the stuff years ago for doll hair and then randomly found it the other day in an unmarked ziploc bag. Plying with the turquoise embroidery thread makes it look a little less unruly.

I haven't had money for wool, so I spun the leftover streamers from my little sister's birthday party. This makes me think of those twisty marshmallow ropes!

Still no wool, but lots of newspaper lying around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010 06:53:27 PM »

That's so pretty YarnWrangler! And blackie.sage, I love the way that newspaper looks.

OK, after drooling over Fiber Fridays for who knows how long I am finally participating! I got this fiber and drop spindle from jennilocker in the OWS 62:

And here is the result, Tropical Tide!

You have a new convert, fiber people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010 08:32:20 PM »

I didn't do a whole lot this week. I only have one skein to show. But, it is super pretty!!! I'm not sure what to call it. It is wool, mohair, recycled soda bottles, and lots o' sparkle Smiley

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010 08:32:47 PM by Zombie_Queen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010 10:16:15 PM »

Pretty Pretty yarn as always!!  I've been trying to post my pictures all day but I just haven't had a free moment until now...and it's dark and my pictures are coming out all crappy with the flash Sad  Boo...sooo I'll post mine tomorrow! Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010 10:23:30 PM »

There you all are. It's like showing up for our weekly meeting and I am holding all the chairs waiting for somebody to come in..lol Great yarns! I love all the spindle yarns this week. I have some going on a spindle too. Just dark brown romney/tunis cross from my local sheep share. I also scored 2 pounds of yummy black alpaca raw but very nice. Oh and my Spunky Club box arrived..yeaaa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010 08:31:00 AM »

I have nothing to post, but I do love looking at the gorgeous yarns!  Hopefully I'll have something for next week.

Thenutmeg2000 -- you are making me jealous with your talk of sheep shares and club boxes!  Jealous in a good way -- it's got to be fun to get those kinds of deliveries!!  I love the colors of that superwash from Sheep Shed -- very rich!

blackie.sage -- you are so creative!  What a great way to keep spinning even if you don't have wool on hand.  I really like how those streamers spun up.  They do look like salt water taffy or something.

Fridays really are the highlight of my week with Fiber Fridays -- even if I'm not posting anything it is SO MUCH FUN to drool over all the pretty yarns.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010 08:32:22 AM »

Here's my spinning for this week Smiley

This was that fiber I dyed with kool-aid from last week.  I love how fun it is!

And some more fiber I got from jexxican....this one honestly kind of grossed me out since the brown part looked so much like my own hair...haha.

So now I have a question for you guys...where do you buy your undyed fiber?  I really enjoyed dying those last week and want to do more!!  Also what kind of dye would be the best to use?  I know there must be something better than kool-aid...lol Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010 08:33:05 AM »

Oh, and Zombie_Queen, the name that popped into my head when I saw your yarn was "Papa Smurf."  The blue is a perfect smurfy blue, and the white is like his beard and didn't he wear red pants?  Dunno, just made me smile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amber Valletta at Her Allure June 2014 Shoot
The 5 Best Curling Irons
How to Make Hair Toner with Household Products
Meet Celebrity Hairstylist Serge Normant
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Crushes
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...