A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is this just a bunch of applique?  (Read 1088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 25, 2010 08:44:05 PM »

I want to make something sorta like this quilt:
http://www.lynnmajidimehr.com/patterns/fantasy%20fish%20large.html

In twin size though, and I want it to be washable so I can actually use it!

To me, it looks like the coral was appliqued onto the inner giant rectangle, then the rest of the background sewn together, and then the rest of the design appliqued on top.    Is that right?  Is it really just a bunch of applique? 
The fish and things dont look like they were sewn on by satin stich, so how were they sewn on? 

And I'm assuming after everything is sewn on, the whole thing is quilted. 

Would it work to do something like this in twin size on a regular machine?  I've seen tutorials on how to do the quilting part by rolling everything up, which looks like a pain but do-able, so I'm guessing sewing on the applique would be done in a similar sort of way....
How would I quilt this one do you think?  (without a fancy quilting machine! - I have 6 machines, 5 different ones so Im hoping one will work for this!)

I have a ton of batik fabric that I've been saving up, but Im not sure how to get started on this one!  I've never made quilts beyond larger toddler size, and even that one is just basic squares sewn together and to quilt it, I sewed a smaller square 1/2" inside some of the squares, enough to hold it together.  I've washed it a bunch and it hasnt fallen apart yet so I guess thats a good sign....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010 07:11:20 AM »

The supply list on the back of the pattern call for fusible web and basting glue, so definitely appliqued.  You don't have to satin stitch applique.  You can do it by hand, or by machine using a raw edge technique, using a blanket stitch, satin stitch, or using the blind hem stitch(I think) with invisible thread.  Any method where the applique is stitched down is washable, IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010 07:16:51 AM »

It looks like it's all applique, judging by the printed patterns on the fabric.

If I were to make this quilt, I would start by putting the coral on the background and stitching just the edges, then the border, then make the sandwich and do the main part of the quilting (fold the coral bits back to quilt underneath them).

Or just do the border and sandwich and quilt the whole thing first... Then start at the back and move forward. Lay down and stitch the rocks/coral first (fold and press the edges so they're flat against the border), then the one large coral on the right, then the seaweed, then the rest of the large coral. Then add the crab, starfish, and swimmers.

No advice on the machines or stitches on the machines you could possibly use. My machine only has straight stitch, and only goes forward. (It's an antique treadler - but a workhorse!) As for hand quilting, maybe a buttonhole stitch around the edges would be nice. Something similar to that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010 03:00:08 PM »

If it's all applique, aside from the boarder bit, that makes it a lot easier for me anyways that figuring out piecing!

So should I applique everything first and quilt on top, or quilt and then applique?  

I'm thinking I would do various forms of applique, different styles for different elements.  Mostly by machine though  And at the end I'll do more decorative hand stitching to add detail to the fish and things.

I guess thats true, with the fusi-web AND stitching it down it should stay on pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010 08:09:41 PM »

Definitely applique then quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Draw Brain (From Pinky and the Brain)
How to Createcustom Window Stickers and Repositionable Window Graphics
How to Create a Reflected Text Effect in Photoshop
Image Reflection in Photoshop - Tutorial
Simple Text Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...