A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,527
Currently Running With Scissors:
331 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making my own cake- am I crazy??  (Read 1891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jane feebles
« on: September 23, 2010 08:08:22 PM »

Hi all, I haven't been on the boards for ages, but with my wedding coming up in March I think it's time to step back into the fold!
So, I've hosted a lot of parties in my time, and I'm a crafty DIY demon, so organising the wedding is not phasing me the way it does for most noncrafters. I've hosted many a party that involved complete reworkings of decor, all the catering plus costumes etc

So, I know what I want for the wedding cake, and I'm really struggling right now with the idea of paying a baker $400-500 for something I can do myself. I'll be doing something like this http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/50-great-cakes#slide_45

As well as my own baking skills, 2 of my bridesmaids are handy with a stick of butter and some sugar, and have some experience in making celebration cakes. When I've talked of it though, most people have reared back in horror at the idea, and keep telling me I'll have too much else to do. The women at work started talking of having a collection to pay for a baker so I won't do it. But the baking would be done a week ahead and frozen, which I need to do to dowel it anyway. I'll probably even buy the base layer as the DH wants chocolate mud, and in Oz the Cheesecake shop do an excellent mud cake and will ice it for you for under $100. That's how my cousin did his cake last year. I just don't like mud or I'd get the whole thing from there
The decorating yes, the day before, but it would be white chocolate ganache (bugger fondant) and then glueing the confetti with decorator's glue.

so, especially those who've been there, am I crazy? It seems to me that the lead up to a party where I don't even have to cater seems a little relaxing, and I'd have helpers and it's something I enjoy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010 08:55:00 PM »

I completely hear you!!!
I am currently trying to convince my fiance that making our wedding cake is NOT a foolish thing to want to do!!!
(He has seen me work 8 hours straight on a Gordon the Train Cake that turned out GREAT!)

But a wedding cake does not have to be as complicated as a TRAIN to be beautiful!  Your confetti cake idea is simply lovely!  Elegant!  Perfect Smiley
The wedding cake I plan on making is this one...

Roll out the fondant, Cover it, whip up some royal icing, Slap on a stencil, and you're done!
Add to the fact that I'm also conscripting help, (considering I also will have a dozen or so DIY's on the go too Wink ), will make this one of the easier tasks.  One of my girlfriends is an amazing baker, so she's baking the cake at her house, and whipping up some buttercream.  I'm coming over with the fondant, royal icing, and stencil, and there you have a relaxing evening!

Trying to convince my fiance is the hard part!  Same as your friends who want to take up a collection!!!    Yes, if I wanted an over the top fun and quirky celebration cake, I'll hire someone, I don't have time.  But for beautiful classic... it's really not that bad!  (But please, continue with the collection... it'll go towards the dress!!! LOL)

Please post pics when it's all said and done!  I'd love to see it!
Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane feebles
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010 09:18:12 PM »

Pretty and elegant wedding cake, I like it!
And that Gordon train is AMAZING! You should be taking props for the rest of your life for that one  Shocked

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! What kinds of cake are you having? Mine will be mud on the bottom, then my layer will be coconut raspberry, and I haven't decided on the top yet. Matcha would be fun, but not sure if the fiancee will roll with green cake at his wedding. I'm prefecting my raspberry coconut recipe at the mo, heaps of fun and heaps of saturated fats being shared around the office  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
chaoticpassion
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010 05:08:07 PM »

You're not crazy! The people reeling in horror and suggesting to take up a fund just don't have the DIY passion in them that tells them to make everything possible Smiley  Youtube has MANY different videos on making your own cake, and purchasing the cake stands and things to make it beautiful will still cost you far less than the average cake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my site at www.mybunnygoboom.com
linda0989
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010 07:44:00 PM »

I understand why people think that you might be crazy since many of DIY brides take on too much and then regret it. As long as you are realistic about your timeline and don't have other DIY projects right before the wedding (eg. making corsages or centerpieces) that have to be done at the same time, I think that you should go for it.
Just remember to:
*keep it simple
* don't try to master a difficult or new technique the night before the wedding
* make sure you can do it all by yourself- just in case you help bails on you!
Good luck and post some pics after the wedding Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShannonMB

I aim to misbehave!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010 02:15:36 PM »

I don't think it's crazy at all.  In retrospect, I wish I had made my own wedding cake.  The one a friend made for us was nice, but it wasn't "perfect". 

You picked a nice simple design (and I love the confetti).  You can make the actual cakes a couple of days before the wedding and freeze them (it's easier for me to frost them that way).  Good luck, Congratulations and don't forget the pictures.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I run with scissors.....it makes me feel DANGEROUS!!
green_olives
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010 07:14:22 PM »

I love that you are making your own cake! I plan on doing the same thing, I'm going to make the cakes a week or two ahead and decorate the night before. http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/art-wedding-cakes?lpgStart=1&currentslide=3&currentChapter=1#ms-global-breadcrumbs I too chose a simple design and have been practicing making cakes for a while and have perfected the first two flavors, carrot with cream cheese and anise with lemon filling. I can't wait to practice with fondant for the first time some time this week (my wedding is in june so I have plenty of time to learn or change my mind).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010 09:55:51 AM »

I say go for it! I made my own wedding cake and it came out great!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MagicalGirl
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010 03:45:02 PM »

Go for it! Just go slow, do a practice round or two (or five), breath deeply, and use all the support sticks-and-plates gear you can--the last thing you want is for it to slowly collapse before everyone's had a chance to admire it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
cutiemonster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012 07:00:11 PM »

Not crazy.  I personally hate the pre-made, frozen and thawed, sat in a freezer cakes you get from cake shops, and have never liked a wedding cake served to me.  I've made countless 2-3 layer cakes for birthdays, and while I'm not a professional decorator, I'm keeping it simple with textured frosting, rose petals, and a nice cake topper.  Practice beforehand, test your base cake recipe, and don't overfrost the bond between the layers (slippage will occur!).  Your cake will be covered in confetti, so you don't have to worry about perfect frosting.  Just make sure the cake transporters are careful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will Jared Leto Top His Man Bun at the Grammys?
DIY: No Sew Halter Top with Michael Costello
How to Dress Like Beyonce
Andre Leon Talley Upgrades Zappos to Couture
How to Match with Your Prom Date – Without Looking Cheesy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...