A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,396
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 20th Birthday / Halloween BBQ - - HELP!  (Read 616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

koolaidria

You stand where your footsteps lead you.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2010 12:40:37 PM »

I'm turning 20 on 10-20-2010, which is amazing. And I love Halloween. And my friends. I want all of us together to celebrate me and my favorite holiday one evening next month. And I need help with EVERYTHING. I'm doing this in 1 month exactly (so October 23rd). I just started the group on facebook and haven't even come close to inviting everyone yet. So there's time, but I still have a sense of urgency.

I don't need invites, that'll be done electronically. I don't need a venue - - I'm using my backyard! It's HUGE. My niece's 3rd birthday saw 80+ children - - and their parents -- all in the backyard with huge inflateables and there was no problem at all. We've got the grill, I think my BIL will do the grilling. My sis and I will probably make all the treats and munchies.

Estimated budget - - no more than 300, I'm sure. I'd like to keep it closer to 200.

So what I really need is help with activities, snack/treat 'menu', and decor.
IDEAS FOR ACTIVITIES:
- Eating contest. I LOVE messy party games. I thought pumpkin pie, or 'brains' - jello done in a brain mold or cooked spaghetti -  but really, what's an outdoor BBQ party hosted by yours truly without some eating contest?
- Pumpkin carving. Which I LOVE. And it's also fun to get into an innards fight, throwing the goop at eachother and just getting messy in general.
- Outdoor movie. I'd like to hang some thick white sheets over the back of my house and project a movie once the sun sets. We can lay out blankets or they can bring fishing chairs or beanbags, or maybe get a few free couches off craigslist and watch a Halloween-y movie.

DECOR:
I draw blanks here. Just a bunch of black and orange stuff is all my mind goes to. I need help. And I need it to be cheap.

FOOD:
Easy but fun foods. Main course will be burgers and hot dogs, but for the sides and desert things. I thought of a cupcake tree, with these awesome chocolate chip pumpkin cupcakes my kid sister makes, instead of a birthday cake.

I don't think this'll be a costume party, cuz of my love of messy games, but what are trash bag cover ups for? Cheesy What should I do for a birthday dress? Or if I DO decide to do costumes, what should I dress up as that's cute/pretty and birthday/center-of-attention worthy?

As you can see, my ideas are suffering.... HELP ME!! I welcome every single suggestion/website you have!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a nerdy flourescent curvaceous artistic musical lover of life and personal swaps.
Wisty Goodness
makeaneffort
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010 12:39:40 PM »

apple bobbing is always good and you could use goop instead of water if you want messy Grin
how about boxes filled with yuk stuff either with a prize in or you have to guess what it is when you put your hand in
scary ghost stories by candle light
palm reading/tarot cards
masks /witches hat making
mmm out of ideas for now ... happy birthday by the way x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010 07:47:42 AM »

You can usually get hay bales pretty cheaply this time of year.  If you get a couple of those, you could stack them up for seating/decoration, and use one to make a few scarecrows.  That fake cobweb stuff is also really cheap, and can go a long way.

For your outfit, why not do something that's inspired by Halloween, rather than an out and out costume.  Like you could do a black dress with a witch's hat, or take an orange dress (or shirt) and paint or embroider a jack-o-lantern's face on it, or make a candy-corn colored dress, or an orange skirt, yellow shirt, and white birthday hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Profile: Suprina
Angry Guru Sculpture by Suprina
Condiments Sculpture by Robin Antar
Sponze by Ellen Grossman
Subsequent Hills by Ellan Grossman
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...