A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Want to make Harem Pants w/o a pattern...HELP?  (Read 7628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RenDuH

Let's go ask Mr. Beardsley. MISTER BEARDSLEEYY!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2010 11:21:48 PM »

Hey guys!
So, I want to be a belly dancer for Halloween (fitting, since I'm a beginning belly dancer already :3), and I want to do harem pants instead of a skirt.
However, I don't know how to read patterns, and am too lazy to learn, lmao.

I DO know how to sew though (and yes, I have a machine), and I'm pretty good at sewing without a pattern...but I've never really made pants (or harem pants, for that matter) before.

Has anyone ever made harem pants before?
I want to do something like this:

http://www.atlantabellydance.com/store/pictures/harempants/VelvetBlackLg.jpg

So I know I'll have elastic for the waist and ankles (which I know how to do), and the slits shouldn't be a problem, either.
What I'm really wanting to know is what kind of a SHAPE I should be cutting out of the fabric for this, since it's not just going to be regular leg size....

Would I just cut out the shape of pants, but really, really BIG pants (that way the elastic scrunches them smaller)?   Huh

Halp!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010 03:39:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Master of all things spelling and grammar related.

.:RenDuH:.
lodece
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010 11:47:16 PM »

hi!
I would use an elastic palazzo pants shape (or a modified loose pajama pant pattern making the leg wider at the bottom so it looks like a rectangle or even a little of an A shape when is flat on the table)...those are pretty easy to sew and you may want some extra fabric on your harem pants but not too much so you can actually see the opening (slit)
Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010 12:25:54 AM »

I made hareem pants a couple of years ago using a really simple method. You get a length of fabric that is TWICE as long as your waist-to-floor measure (so that they poof at the ankle, use waist-to-floor, as opposed to waist-to-ankle), preferably 60 inches wide, as 45 inch fabric will be less poofy in the end. Then you cut it in half lengthwise to get TWO PIECES of fabric that are both as tall as your waist-to-floor measure. Fold them both selvage-to-selvage and find the middles. At what will become the top of one leg, mark the middle, then measure towards the selvages about one quarter of your waist measure (eg 30 inch waist, ergo measure out 7.5 inches). Now measure down along the fold from your middle mark however tall your rise will be. I think mine was 9 inches. Now you're going to draw a swoopy curve from the bottom of the rise out and up to the mark at the top. DIAGRAM TIME!

Once both legs are done, you sew the two curves together to form the crotch, then sew the outside seams together. I finished mine with a simple fold-over casing at the waist and ankles for drawstrings. Because you want the slit, you would leave part of the outseam open and just fold the seam allowance under while you trim it with ribbon or whatever.

Hope that was clear, I'm all tired and have noooooo idea where the original tute I used has gone off to...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kpoet
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010 01:14:09 PM »

There's a girl on youtube, GiannyL, who shows how to make a couple different styles. It may give you a starting point?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010 01:28:46 PM »

Here's a tutorial for making harem-style pants that is very easy (I recommend making a small paper model of how to fold the fabric just to be safe, though).  The pants are very large!  http://renaissancetailor.com/demos_recpants.htm

Pic of pants I made from this tutorial:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=304184.msg3480867#msg3480867

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Flower Part 6/11
How to Crochet a Generic Baby Shoe Sole Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Flower Part 9/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 5/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 10/11
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...