A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quidditch Costume Help, please!  (Read 4529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

realityinvazion
Mrs. Nesbitt

I intend to deserve it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 20, 2010 03:29:25 PM »

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sRnCFguoG1U/RwVqh9RwLFI/AAAAAAAABiI/uTxqhi8QDXo/s320/hqu1.jpg

Instead of using my traditional Gryffindor uniform like I have for the past six midnight movie premiers, I've made the decision to make a full Quidditch uniform.

The robe and pants, etc. should be no problem for me. I've had plenty of experience with fabric. The problem I'm looking at is the gloves, and the shin and arm guards. I have no problem buying a pair of gloves, but have no idea how to tackle the shin and arm guards. I've never worked with leather, and while I'm up to learn I don't think this would be the best starter project, haha!

I was thinking about the possibilities of adding something to a pair of boots? I'm up for any kind of suggestions and any ideas on making a believable rip-off too, because I'm totally stumped on this one.

Thanks for all comments!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0uqYbd3bIAQ/RwZGIMRsmVI/AAAAAAAAAIE/wW92tlYoKg8/s1600/robes%2Bravenclaw.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080525052231/harrypotter/images/thumb/f/fc/DracoQuidditch.jpg/180px-DracoQuidditch.jpg
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010 06:15:23 AM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

9 out of 10 British housewives can't tell the difference between my butter and a dead crab.
DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010 04:19:26 PM »

My suggestion would be to get some kneepads and shinguards designed for sports, and paint them to look leather-ish. I don't know how much of a stickler you are for authenticity, but that would probably be cheaper than working with leather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010 07:55:52 PM »

Since the pads won't actually be needed in the way that they are intended, I'm sure you could get away with fashioning them out of faux leather (brown pleather or some other fabric that has the look you like)... something that can go through the sewing machine. For the ridges on the shin and arm guards, you could get some cotton batting and roll it into a tight roll then lay the pleather over top and sew the rolls into place. And for the knee pad thingies, maybe you could find a cheap plastic coconut bra or something and cover those with the pleather and attach them to the knee pads...
Good luck on this project! Would love to see some progress pics along the way ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Poet Terrance Hayes Practices Creativity
Literary Vs. Commercial Fiction: Why Success Matters
Cheryl Strayed: How to Survive Family and Loss
Marie Arana on Simon De Bolivar
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...