A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Invasion of the Witch BOO'ts!!! - Paper Mache  (Read 17290 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween , halloween_decoration , featured_project , papier_mache , boots , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« on: September 22, 2010 05:23:25 PM »

***** UPDATE 04/03/2011 *****

New boot finished for a personal swap with Cackle here on Craftster:

Total different look to this one.  I'll have another more vintage-style one to show very soon that I made for a different swap.

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!!

At least everywhere in my house, that is.  Smiley  I've been meaning to post details about a few of the items I made for the last swap I participated in with one of my favorite themes, HALLOWEEN.  I made my partner a paper mache witch boot, a spell (recipe) book, and some other assorted things that you can view in the swap gallery.    I will eventually post about the spell book.  But for now, here is a pic of the boot I made her:

Back in "08, I created a paper mache witch boot for a "OYP Halloween Swap".  The boot was such a success, I've had a couple people requesting them for other swaps or for sale.  I've since made a mini boot and the larger boot for my last swap partner, MissingWillow, which makes three.  Well, I was so inspired after decorating this last boot, I thought it would be fun to experiment on some more.  I ended up with 3 more boots in different sizes!  Below are some pics after I painted the base coats.

I even decided to try making some shoes, too!  This was really fun!  Does this mean I'm developing a fetish??  Hope not.  Though, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with all of these.  Smiley

I finally finished painting scenes on the large green boots:

I must say it's getting easier to make these since I started.  I can see a huge difference in the shapes with cleaner lines and less wobbliness.  I just hope I've improved upon the base coat with my painting.  Smiley  Each boot/shoe seems to develop a personality of its own as it gets closer to completions.  I'm almost done with the other two boots, but I'm still stuck on what to put on the three shoes.  The surface area is so much smaller, that I can't put much of a scene on them.  So, I'm still pondering them.  Just maybe I'll have them done before Halloween blows by.  I'll post updates as they are finished.

I've got one other tall boot that is totally different.  I tried to make it more Victorian looking.  I want to paint it more steampunk than Halloween.  We shall see if that happens.

At the request of others, I've just about made up my mind to write up a tutorial to make these.  I will need to get some progress pics, so I guess after the holidays are over, it's back the the drawing board to make at least one more before retiring my creepy cobbler skills.  Smiley

***** UPDATE 09/24/2010 *****

Just finished the little orange boot.  

***** UPDATE 09/28/2010 *****

Last high top witch boot (Tim Burton inspired) finished!

***** UPDATE 10/12/2010 *****

In an effort to keep all these boots together, I thought I'd link the tiny ones mom helped me with here, too.  I'd forgotten all about them.

Now, it's on to the shoes!

***** UPDATE 02/04/2011 *****

I must apologize for leaving anyone hanging on the shoe updates.  As I suspected, I didn't get them finished in time for Halloween.  Oh Well.  There's always this year.  Probably should have focused on one at a time.  Smiley  If you're curious how far I got:

For more info and pics on my progress, check out my craft blog.  Thanks for looking!  Have a Terror-ific Halloween!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011 07:12:30 AM by mieljolie - Reason: edited new boot for pic to show in posts » THIS ROCKS   Logged

iliveonarainbow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010 05:45:17 PM »

Those are super cute! I love the first one looks especially.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010 07:13:42 PM »

Those are too cool!  I love the shapes of them, and the painting is so detailed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
DawnsTrees
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010 08:12:02 PM »

These are fantastic!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Lilak Tygress
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010 09:21:38 PM »

Those are amazing!! I may need to make me one now!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010 09:42:06 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  I'd agree that the buckle on the top one does add a little something.  I just wish they weren't so hard to paint around.  Smiley  The funnest part is watching these boots develop and morph into the final piece.  I try to make each one unique in some way, whether it's the shape, style, size, color, painting, decorations, etc...  The purple boot in the middle of the second pic will be very Tim Burton inspired.  I think it's the color that's making me lean that way.  I want to try some other ideas besides footwear in the future.

Thanks for the comments.  I appreciate the support.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

devilduck
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010 10:48:08 PM »

These are great! What an awesome decor item for Halloween. Can't wait to see the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010 04:55:26 AM »

As the lucky recipient of the boot at the top of this post, I can tell you it's magnificent!  As my husband says, photos don't do it justice.  We plan to display it year round. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
amethyst6
Life is what you make it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010 06:18:33 AM »

Oh my goodness. These are AMAZING!!! I absolutely LOVE the last one. I am Pagan so these really speak to me. If you have no idea what to do with that last one, I would be more than happy to give it a home.. LOL.. I can't even begin to find all the right compliments for these. I'm hitting the this rocks button for sure.. Thank you for sharing...
Tracy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/amethyst6
I am interested in personal swaps. PM me.
mieljolie
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010 10:27:05 AM »

As the lucky recipient of the boot at the top of this post, I can tell you it's magnificent!  As my husband says, photos don't do it justice.  We plan to display it year round.  

Ahhh, that's very sweet of you, MissingWilllow.  It's good knowing my "babies" won't be stuffed in a closet for most of the year.   Grin

These are great! What an awesome decor item for Halloween. Can't wait to see the tutorial.

It's going to be awhile on the tute.  I still have holiday costumes to make and loads of other projects before I get to it.  But, I'll promised have it done before next Halloween.  Wink

...If you have no idea what to do with that last one, I would be more than happy to give it a home.. LOL.. I can't even begin to find all the right compliments for these. I'm hitting the this rocks button for sure.. Thank you for sharing...
Tracy

I appreciate the interest.    The painting part takes the longest, cuz I have to be in the mood and inspired to do it.  I may keep the future steampunk one for myself.  Not sure, yet.  Thanks so much for rockin' my boots!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010 04:28:00 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Studio Photography Jobs
Learn How to Take Pictures of Food
How to Create a Makeshift Studio For Photography
How to Find a Photo Studio
Learn About Studio Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...