This is what you get when you take
(50) church "shorty shirts" (the armpit up of a tshirt)
(20) full xl and xxl defunked church tshirts (as soon as I'm back home, I can post a pic of one)
(3) latch hooks (because I broke the first two)
(1) package of "deep orange" dye
(1) emergency package of "chestnut" dye for when deep=high lighter
(1) 4ft X 3ft latch hook canvas
(85) hours of labor during the months of March-July
(6,600) small 2.5 inch long pieces of tshirt scraps
(1) girl who will never undertake this project again (or so I say now, because I do love love love the results)
So, for anyone who cares for a little background info on the project, I was tasked with finding a useful purpose for 300 white tshirts with a large blue and purple logo from a now defunct church. I started this off by crocheting dozens of rugs, the problem being, that when you make tshirt yarn the whole top of the shirt is left over. Refusing to give up and throw those parts out (because that would be defeating the purpose) I thought of latch hook. An activity I never particularly enjoyed when I was a kid. So, after 85 (at least) hours of work, I wound up with an area rug, which now looks quite nice (and inspires envy) in my dorm room.
Here's how many scraps I thought I'd need. This is 50 shorty shirts all cut up.
I had to use another 20 full shirts however, and I made the rug two rows shorter than it could have been because, let me tell you, if you plan to make one of these, you WILL severely underestimate the amount of tshirt you will need.
(You'll probably need this x2, no lies.)
If anyone would like a tutorial of sorts, I will be happy to put one together. I have most of the pictures I need for one. (I think)
Oh yes, and the subtitle of "why I'm having children."
The whole process I've been joking that I WILL be having kids for sure now for the sheer fact that someone needs to inherit this, and I don't care how ugly my grandkids think it is, they WILL be using it in their homes.