A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Caramel ice cream  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , ice_cream  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: September 21, 2010 05:53:36 AM »

This summer, in the midst of sweltering heat that fell on my city, I ventured in the attic and I found myself face to face with an ice cream maker that had been there for a long time ... I decided to carry it into the kitchen to see if it still worked!

As the machine seemed to work, I started doing tests, at first versions of "light" treats, but then I soon abandoned all restraint and went on to the more creamy and sinful ice creams!
One of my favorite flavors is caramel ... but it's pretty difficult to find around here! So I found a recipe, and went to work:

Ingredients:

400 ml whole milk
250 gr sugar
1 / 2 teaspoon salt
250 ml cream
4 egg yolks

The original recipe also included 50 g of butter, and the first time I put it in... and it was a disaster! At first the caramel solidified horribly, and I struggled to melt it again (the recipe warned of this eventuality), and finally in the finished product I could taste a grasy aftertaste from the butter... it was just too much! So I skipped it altogether, and the result was delicious and still perfectly creamy, even straight out of the freezer!

On my blog I made a step-by-step photo diary of the caramel making... but I'll skip that, and just say:
pour the 250 gr of sugar in a pan on low heat, and stir, stir, stir and melt and caramel until it's golden brown...

add the salt ( a tiny tiny bit gives more body to the flavour. a little more, and you get a sweet salty treat... follow your taste! ehm but don't try tasting the uber-hot caramel. that hurts!! LOL)

now add the cream.. it will bubble and froth like mad, so add a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, until it's all in.

Add the first 200 ml of milk, stirring well ... and now it's eggs!
I'm afraid to cook 'em instantly if I try to add them to the pan, so I go the opposite way, and add a couple of ladles of mixture to the beaten eggs... and then I add this cream back to the pan.

Put it back on the fire and let cook until it thickens, then finally take away from the stove, add the last 200ml of milk (cold) and let it cool until you can put it in the ice cream machine (follow your instructions) and let it work its magic.
The result is delicious ... I made several batches before storing the machine for winter!

More pics on my blog, and also two other recipes I made, if you can stand the google translate button... (actually, I am laughing sooooo much when I read on the translated bit, trying to figure out what I wrote in my language and how on earth it became what appears on the page, LOL)
http://lacucinadelgattobianco.blogspot.com/2010/09/gelato-al-caramello-salato-spettacolare.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010 08:19:34 AM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SMLounsbury
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010 08:08:19 AM »

Yum!  My hubby would adore this.  Caramel ice cream with some fresh apple pie would rock his world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjadeathstrike
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010 01:53:32 PM »

What an interesting recipe. I just bought a ice cream maker.  Grin  I think I might just have to try this recipe.  Smiley
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 3
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 2
How to Navigate the Workspace in Adobe After Effects Lesson 1
How to Create a Title Screen with After Effects
How to Create a Title Screen in After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...