A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting Block! grrr  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

achgfd
« on: September 20, 2010 09:51:32 PM »

I just opened my first shop and made my first sale! Sad He didn't leave me any feed back and I don't even know if he received or enjoyed his gift. I am a very needy person and must have constant feedback! (Cause I am crazy!!!??!)
But since then I have gotten crafting block. I work in many different mediums- paper, lego, jewelry, crochet- mostly video game themed.

Now I can't think of what to add on that I haven't already done before. Do I need to have that one thing that I'm known for? That one stand out craft- or do you think having a broad range is better for the shop? I'm hoping that discussing it more will get the creative juices flowing again!

Thanks for the help guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

procraftinatty
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010 09:28:30 AM »

I don't know if this will help you... but for what it's worth....

I make a lot of things, and do a few different "kinds" of crafts (i.e. sewing, knitting, etc.).  but for my craft business I only sell things that I sew. I think that mostly I am known for making aprons. but I have plans on branching out into other kinds of garments because I often get requests for other things.  While aprons are my favourite, I think for myself a little bit of variety is a good thing as well.  I think that you can be "known" for one thing, but still have a bit of a wider range in what you sell...

As a shopper, I always like when I go to a shop and they have a bit of a variety.  I will use myself as an example, someone might come to your shop and like the apron they bought from you... but how many aprons do they really need?  I think if you offer a few more things (ie. potholders, oven mitts, market bags, other sassy one of a kind garments...) you might get a bit more repeat business as well....

I hope this helps.... and that your crafters block clears up soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

achgfd
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010 09:41:52 AM »

Yea it did actually. After this post I got to moving and made another sale! wohoo!!!

But I guess all my items need some sort of consistency. Even though they are different mediums- maybe in the same vein of something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010 12:28:53 PM »

Hurray on making your first sales!!!

I know you didn't ask but what's the significance of achgfd? And your shop is called Giraffes on Parade (fun name) but I don't get the connection from that to what you are selling. Think about what those two things mean to you and it might give you a direction for a specialty.

I would be very, very careful selling anything with licensed characters. Maybe come up with a series of your own characters? I've seen a number of crafters do quite well with that.

I think a shop with a bit of variety can be a good thing. But, get too wide-ranging and it becomes harder to market yourself and your shop might come off looking more like a flea market stall than someone selling handmade items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

achgfd
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010 10:39:50 PM »

Hurray on making your first sales!!!

I know you didn't ask but what's the significance of achgfd? And your shop is called Giraffes on Parade (fun name) but I don't get the connection from that to what you are selling. Think about what those two things mean to you and it might give you a direction for a specialty.

I would be very, very careful selling anything with licensed characters. Maybe come up with a series of your own characters? I've seen a number of crafters do quite well with that.

I think a shop with a bit of variety can be a good thing. But, get too wide-ranging and it becomes harder to market yourself and your shop might come off looking more like a flea market stall than someone selling handmade items.

This is certainly true!
as for names...
achgfd is my online alias just kind of random. I'm thinking now its a bad idea to have as my etsy account and my shop name different. Giraffes on parade is my blog name and a title of a project of mine.  Undecided
I've always had little characters but never thought them strong enough to stand on their own. Perhaps I shall experiment. Thanks for the input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010 04:47:02 PM »

Trust me when I say I've seen a lot of crafts being sold on the net and at fairs. I have been shocked at how simple, crudely made and even downright ugly things take off like gangbusters. I saw someone making crocheted critters that were made so unevenly stitched that they would have hit my trash heap, yet they were actively selling a whole series of them. At one fair, a pair of ladies were selling knitted shawls (pretty much a fringed triangle) for $200 a pop. The draw, they used like 6 strands of varying textured yarns on the needles at the same time - super quick to make, super dramatic, and hugely profitable!

Guess, I'm saying don't assume that your little characters might not catch on.

You seem to enjoy video games and such. My goodness, who would have thought a happy face eating ugly little ghosties would lead to so much merchandising and the gaming industry that we have now.

When my crochet muse has left me, I hit the thrift stores. I check the stuffed animal bins and look for small pieces. What would this head look like on that body with those legs sort of thing? I've got a whole shelf full of little furry creatures. Now if I could just find the time to play with them and my hooks. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

achgfd
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010 04:11:01 PM »

Yea its amazing the wide range game stuff gets. I'm actually getting some requests too. I guess I can explore some of my own designs while doing the game ones.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cover Roots
How to Curl Long Hair
How to Cover Bald Patches for Women
How to Choose a Conditioner
Common Hair Braid Mistakes
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...