A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Coats for Big Dogs! (Lotsa pictures)  (Read 1488 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frenchbrandles
« on: September 20, 2010 08:48:30 PM »

I have an 8 month old chocolate Lab named Sam who's currently weighing in at 85+ pounds. He's got at least another six months of growing in him, and considering his parents, he'll probably end up in the 120 pound range. That said, Sam does NOT fit into most premade doggy outfits for sale in petshops or online. The one shirt I was able to buy him was a 4XL. Needless to say, most dog clothes are not made in 4XLs.

So I decided to sew Sam a few simple coats myself! I haven't really sewn in over five years, so it was a (re)learning experience for me. Now that I've gotten some good practice in, I'll be branching out in what I make Sam for the future. I've got a pattern for his Halloween costume, but I'm not going to sew it yet because I'm not sure how much he'll grow between now and then  Undecided

I made the pattern for the coats myself out of newspaper so it's fit to Sam's specific measurements. It's based on some instructions in a beginner sewing book I have, but I modified the pattern to suit my tastes. My trial run was in Jaguars fabric (Jacksonville is our hometown); second coat has a Halloween/pirate pattern of orange and gray skulls and crossbones; third coat was made out of a patchwork-looking dog-themed fabric with a coordinating striped lining. All of the coats are lightweight; Sam's Labrador fur provides him with plenty of warmth so he doesn't need anything too heavy.

The Jags coat was made first and as such has the most fit problems; after that trial and error I improved the neckline fit quite a bit on the other two coats. I used strips of sew-in velcro instead of buttons because Sam is still growing and this way he's got much more leeway in the fit at the neck and tummy. In some of the pictures the end of the tummy belt is hanging loose; I fixed that with an extra piece of velcro after taking the pictures (had to try the coats on first to see where to place the end velcro pieces). And to give you an idea of Sam's size, I can wear his coats as aprons. Seriously. I tried them on.

After I'd finished the coats I had some great scraps left that I didn't want to throw away. The pieces cut out of the neckline especially seemed usable. So I sewed them together and added a channel along the top to slip over Sam's collar, improvising a sort of no-sew kerchief. (There isn't a Jags one because again, it was my first attempt, and the channel ended up being WAY too small for his collar. Again, trial and error!) The kerchiefs do look a bit like bibs, I must admit, but given Sam's table manners, a bib works just fine for him.  Cheesy

(Also Sam was a bit sleepy by the time I finished the kerchiefs; hence his more glazed-over expression than when he had the coats on  Grin)

Thanks for looking! I will be posting Sam's Halloween costume next month once I make it  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010 09:50:29 PM »

He's such a ham!  Love the over the shoulder pic of him. 
Those coats are great!  I would love to make some coats for my pit, but she likes to chew on EVERYTHING that is hers. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frenchbrandles
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010 07:38:44 PM »

Sam chews too. Luckily one of the first things I taught him was "leave it!" Trust me, before and after every picture I was telling him "Leave it! Leave it!" as he tried to chew it. That's the benefit of coats without sleeves: easier to make, and less material within chomping distance.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010 09:41:50 PM »

so cute! i want to make one for my 6 month old australian shephard... she chews everything too... shes still learning "drop it" so well see lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irving
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010 10:16:38 PM »

Those pictures are really interesting ! The coats are nice, for sure, but what strikes me the most is the 'model' attitude of your dog ! In picture #3 it seems to ask "Do I look cool ... or do I look cool ?!" Like it has always done shooting !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Les railleurs, les sceptiques et les indifférents n'ont jamais été bâtisseurs ou défenseurs d'oeuvres humaines". Lieutenant Jean Plantier. Clothes for dogs
starcakes57

only way to craft, with a great dane in your lap

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010 10:43:45 AM »

i feel ya times 100 i have a great dane puppy and the breed gets really cold really easy ( there big pussys ) and i want to make her some jackets well accually i want to make sweatshirts or sweaters that are cute and pink or whatever because everyone always thinks she is a he and i hate it. i bought a sweatshirt when she was two monthes old (she wore it for like 3 days before she outgrew it lol) but i kept it to go off of patern wise and then i will measure my yoshi and figure out a patern for it. my brother and sil have a great dane boxer and ill probly make him some too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchbrandles
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010 10:54:11 AM »

Ha ha yes Sam is definitely a ham! I think he knows to pose when the camera's on.

I recently found a book at the library by Cathie Filian that uses a similar base coat pattern and then embellishes it to make costumes--adding some spikes along the back for a dragon or some denim and flannel for a cowboy. I'll be trying out some of her variations next!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blend Colors Together Using Oil Paints
How to Paint a Portrait with Oils Using a Photo
How to Prepare a Canvas for Oil Painting
How to Mix Oil Paint Colors
How to Use a Palette Knife to Apply Oil Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...