A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
283 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Avoid Making a Tacky Crochet Purse?  (Read 827 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

color of your spoon
« on: September 20, 2010 02:20:54 PM »

Crochet fabric by nature is compactly dense and works up heavy which makes it difficult to avoid a tacky crochet purse. I have no issue with crocheting itsef (love it and I think it makes better elegant projects than knitting). But I've been searching for yarn that will yield a fashionable crochet purse. Any suggestions?

I avoid working with Mercerized cotton yarn because I don't enjoy working with thin yarns and small hooks. Plus projects worked with mercerized cotton yarn are floppy (not a good for an everyday purse.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010 11:37:18 AM »

The fabric gets looser if you use a bigger hook. If you don't want tiny things to fall through you'd need a tighter stitch or just line it. There are some beautiful designs on ravelry.

So it's not necessairily the yarn but the hook size that is giving you the unwanted result. You could make a beautiful purse out of arcylic, cotton, wool, or whatever you wanted. You could always search for a few articles that talk about adding drape to your crochet fabrics and that would probably help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010 12:02:39 PM »

I agree with ^ go up a hook size or two. There's a article on this here:
http://blog.lionbrand.com/2008/05/27/5-problems-solved-by-gauge-from-yarncraft-episode-15/
http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/11/16/swatching-its-not-just-for-gauge-anymore/
http://blog.lionbrand.com/2010/08/31/suggested-size-choosing-the-right-needles-or-hook-to-get-gauge/
There used to be this AWESOME article on crochet me with photo's but the photo's aren't there. But I'd suggest making a swatch and seeing how big you need to make your hook size. Typically 2-3 sizes bigger helps so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rheatheylia

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010 08:25:41 AM »

Most commercially available crochet purses are made with nylon thread, sold as crochet nylon http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/KnittingCrochet/Threads/Worsted+Weight/JP+Coats+Crochet+Nylon
it's pretty much the same as nylon cording or rope, just sold with better colors and much larger amounts, it's really dense, ultra shiny, and even though it's called thread it's not super thin, recommended hook size is G. It works up to make a sleek, shiny, non-fuzzy fabric that is really tough and never pills or fuzzes up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns
Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
Scribble
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010 02:48:36 PM »

I don't feel it's fair to say it's *always* a dense fabric. The result really depends on the stitch chosen, the yarn thickness (wpi) and the size of hook. Remember, we've seen some really beautiful lace projects.

I would suggest you swatch, swatch, and swatch. What about joining dainty motifs made in a fine cotton and lined with silk? Luxury! If that's too dainty you could make a freeform purse in any yarn you like. Freeform is my latest phase. Smiley

In my opinion, how you finish the purse makes a *really big* difference. Consider using a set in zip, lining fabric, real wooden handles, or studs on the base to reduce wear, or felt the fabric to make it stronger and more water-resistant. Take your time and enjoy adding finishing the touches. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crochet blog at www.carryyarnstitching.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 18/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 14/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 17/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 13/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 19/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...