A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: swapping and pests  (Read 3329 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysmeine
« on: September 20, 2010 01:38:36 PM »

I was watching the news about how the bedbugs in NY were spreading by hitch hiking in shipping trucks. I was happy I live in the midwest. Then I pannicked when I thought about how swapping may increase my risk. They don't have to come from your partner, just another package in the mail. Am I the only one who is paranoid or concerned? Or am I being unreasonably worried?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010 06:13:33 PM »

You're being unreasonably worried. Even if you do get bedbugs, an easy fix is to sprinkle salt on your mattress, leave it for a few hours, then vacuum it off. The salt dries up both the bugs and any eggs that might be present. If you wash your bedding in a salted water, it will help get rid of them there, too.

Also works for fleas, ticks, and a few other nasties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010 09:24:58 AM »

I just read an article yesterday calling the spread of bedbugs a pandemic, and now I'm also totally freaked out and itchy. I hadn't thought about the mail aspect!

I'm not going to overly worry about it because here in Colorado we'll start getting hard freezes at night soon and that would kill off any nasties in the trucks.

Whatever you do though, don't start looking at bedbug pictures on the 'net. I need to go scrub with bleach or something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
Trish Fantastic
My Clumsiest Line...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 07:15:21 PM »

Having dealt with bedbugs in the past I feel your concern. All the beds in my house have bedbug proof mattresses on them now and that puts me at ease. If they don't have somewhere to live (and feed regularly *shudder*) they won't stick around. It wasn't cheap, but it was completely worth it for my sanity. ALSO, because they won't stick around where they can't feed it is unlikely they would stick around in a box during shipment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011 11:45:36 AM »

here i go adding to your already freaking out problem.  I had a roach crawl out of a box from a swap once. It was a swap on swapbot and not on craftster but it was still a swap. the box was very nicely taped up.  so taped up that i had to get scissors to get the box open because all of the possible openings were heavily taped.  its a good thing i was at the post office when i got the box open because that little critter crawled out and i refused to even touch the contents.  my mister had to get the contents out, shake it out to prove to me there were no more and then i ended up throwing all the fabric and yarn into a dryer at high temps for like 30 minutes.  everything else, i couldnt bear to take inside.  i ended up throwing out most of the package.

I havent swapped on swapbot since.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011 03:52:07 PM »

I did a pillow case swap on another website, and opened the envelope, to pull out a pillowcase in a zip bag...with lots of fleas.  It was gross lucky fleas are a easy problem to fix, a few hours in dish water and a washing machine and dryer trip later no more fleas. When I talked to my swap pattern she said it mist have come from her wash line outside, time to cut the grass.

When I do a swap I like to think the person is has clean has I'm but, I almost always wash anything cloth I get, its like shopping at a thrift sore it may be clean but you never know for sure.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011 08:01:12 PM by ybunnygurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
endymion
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011 12:26:35 AM »

Put things in a Ziplock in your freezer for a week or two -- it will kill any little hitch-hikers. A good idea for eBay items also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011 12:06:48 PM »

Put things in a Ziplock in your freezer for a week or two -- it will kill any little hitch-hikers. A good idea for eBay items also.

This just made me giggle - not the original idea, but the extreme application it prompted in my head.  "Swap xyz - Received....will post pictures in two weeks after the shipping box comes out of my freezer."  Grin  (I know you didn't mean to not open the package.  That's just what came to mind for me.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnaAnna
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011 01:58:15 PM »

... really shouldn't have read this post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Supermutts
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011 06:30:13 PM »

If it makes you feel any better I work at a Public Health Department in NY and while bed bugs are annoying they do NOT carry diseases so that's always a great bonus to think about Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." -Captain Mal
mandymo13
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011 08:14:36 PM »

I do like that they ask about pets and smoking, but I never thought fleas wouls come in a package
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011 08:35:28 PM »

I've been swapping on Craftster for a year and a half and have not had any bug problems (thank goodness).  DH is an exterminator, and if there were any issues to be concerned about, he would have let me know LONG ago. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011 07:46:48 AM »

I've been swapping on Craftster for years now, and I've never had any sort of bug in a package.

..... but y'all are freaking me out.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
tiffi_333
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011 08:15:12 PM »

To me its not really surprising that a bug would hop in a package once in a blue moon...Especially in the summer when bugs are around more. When I used to unpack boxes for a store, every once in a while (maybe once every 6 months) we would get an odd looking bug in a box, we'd just kill it and go about our day. Ive heard worse stories from a food store, they got bananas shipped in and it had this weird spider in it..put me off bananas for a long time lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011 07:20:22 PM »

.____. I shouldn't have read this thread lol. Now I'm paranoid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011 10:31:21 AM »

Ive heard worse stories from a food store, they got bananas shipped in and it had this weird spider in it..put me off bananas for a long time lol.

Banana spiders are the stuff of my nightmares.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Naturally Made Hair Detangler
Salve Heals Bumps and Bruises
Oatmeal Soothes Sensitive Skin
The Best Enzymes for Your Skin Type
How to Upgrade Your Look with Just a Curling Iron, Belt and Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...