A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy recycled concrete garden path,,,  (Read 6863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tickleagangster
« on: May 19, 2005 01:16:05 PM »

This was scavenged from my neighbors broken up driveway.  I think it made a nice pathway.
 http://ifs1.imagefly.info/view.php?id=227

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011 11:30:32 AM by PixieVal - Reason: broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
patti
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005 08:26:41 PM »

Oh, that's beautiful!  I love your flowers, too.  The concrete looks great.  Did you put something underneath it to discourage weeds from growing up between the individual pieces?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005 08:52:17 AM »

I have now put gravel everywhere but I'm going to try to grow moss or a small leaf ground cover between the pavers.  I'll still end up weeded it occasionally until it takes over though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

insistal
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005 07:28:00 AM »

That looks really nice! great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKN725
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005 05:06:01 AM »

That is so attractive and edges your beautiful garden so well. It was also great to keep all that broken concrete out of the landfill, and I assume the "price was right." Did you have to break and shape them to get them to fit together so well?  Some little blooming plant like portulaca or creeping phlox might look pretty in the cracks also. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005 03:20:29 PM »

Thank you very much! Yes, I'm trying to encourage some creeping plants into the cracks.  And when I picked the pieces up they were already broken, thankfully!  I just love to get stuff for free and lug it home! I recently found an old ladder and I'm using it as a plant shelf in the back of a border.  Gardening is so fun....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colie
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005 08:50:52 PM »

That looks really great! For a quick cover you could use some kind of mint- it stays very low to the ground and spreads ridiculously fast. You would never have to worry about weeding between the mint- but you might have to worry about it getting into spots where you didnt want it (especially if you didnt have some kind of boder to keep it in- it spread by runners under ground). Other options for ground cover would be roman chamomile or creeping thyme- they will smell great when you step on them. I am not sure about thyme, but roman chamomile would definately need weeding, and shouldnt be by grass, because it would be overpowered. The smell cannot be beat though. Can you tell I am working on a similar project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005 04:32:16 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Colie. Yeah, I put down gravel on the ground in front of the path, and even the gravel is getting tiny weeds now.  I'm going to spray a bit of this stuff that says it kill weeds and grass for up to 1 year on the gravel, but I'll look into the mint for in between the paver thingy's.  It's amazing how fast everything has grown now since I took those pics.  I'm going to post another picture of the finished, sort of, project. (cuz a garden is never "finished!") 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005 05:32:57 PM »

That's so pretty!  Yes, be careful with mint.  I have some in my herb garden and it spreads like wild fire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
colie
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005 11:39:49 AM »

That is actually why I suggested mint, it would work well as an instant gratification plant. But you are right, it will take over other plants if you plant them if there isnt a border of some sort to block them from spreading.
Mint also works well as a ground cover around establshed palnts- like a living mulch for rosebushes. Keeps moisture in, and is prettier than wood chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Tips for Waking Up Your Face
Autumn and Winter Nail Trends
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Cejas Degradadas - Laura Sánchez
5 Shades to the Perfect Red Lip
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...