A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advent calendar epic project!! a work in progress new pictures  (Read 1443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CH4r!ie
« on: September 19, 2010 09:26:00 AM »

hiya, this is a totally only just started project, i've started early as i figure it's going to take me a while, my idea started out as being just a simple but lovely advent calendar for my niece who is coming up for two in january, i wanted to make little pockets but it's hard to find suitable small toys for a tot for each pocket and her daddy, my brother, is a chef and very keen on healthy eating and doesn't like her to have too many sweets, so i didn't want to make it with treats.
sooooo... currently my plan is to make a mahoooooosive one with pockets, and a tree sewn on somehow, with little ornaments to hang on the tree every day.
this is where my cunning plan hit its first snag,  though i've already done my pattern for the basic calendar, i thought it would be best to work on the ornaments first to make sure they will fit in the pockets, i tried a myriad of different ways to make my ornaments, fimo, embroidery, fabric painting, fabric pens, card and lots of glue,  a mixture of everything, and nothing was producing anything i was even slightly impressed with, Cry but hurrah, this weekend i think i've had a breakthrough, image transfer paper may just be my saviour!!  Smiley
so on with the
first my basic pencil sketches to work out my sizing and designs followed by hand drawn and painted initial designs, i used watercolours with sparkle as i want it to be quite pastelish to go with their decor:

next i've transferred them onto image transfer paper, and ironed them onto white felt, then cut them out as little circles ready to be embellished with sparkles and suchlike got 18 done so far but not sure if they're all staying:

backs to look kind of like baubles!!

some of the fronts, decorated with beads, more to follow

obviously ideas and comments are welcome, thanks for looking!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010 01:06:43 PM by CH4r!ie - Reason: changed photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged
EllaRain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010 07:32:30 PM »

These will look great as ornaments on a little tree. I think that having ornaments that your niece can reuse each year will be more fun than little toys or candy in the long run.
It is funny how advent calendars come to take on a life of their own. I did a crossstich one a few years ago and I began to think I would never finish. Keep at it, and be sure to let us see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
CH4r!ie
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010 10:55:15 AM »

thanks ellarain, i finished two yesterday, only 22 or 23 to go lol, waiting to get my camera back for better photos, i'm not sure i'll get it done by this christmas, do you think we can postpone it for a month or so??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EllaRain
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010 09:56:45 PM »

i'm not sure i'll get it done by this christmas, do you think we can postpone it for a month or so??
lol Roll Eyes When I finished mine I think there were only two days left before Christmas. I still hung it up and counted that day.
You still have some time and I bet it goes faster as you go along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010 09:05:39 PM »

its a wonderful project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CH4r!ie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010 02:21:11 PM »

thanks, haven't had any time to do any more on it so far, but i feel excited about it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwrightway
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010 07:09:31 PM »

Hi Very cute project! Have you been able to finish it? I would love to see some more pics. It's a great alt to the store bought cardboard, which I'll be buying this year  Wink. But I think I may get going on this project as soon as my Christmas shopping and decorating gets done so.... the end of December! HaHa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CH4r!ie
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010 11:01:26 AM »

hiya, thank for your comment, i have finally finished it yes, i moved it to the occasions board for my finished post, this is the link i hope if you'd like to take a peep!! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=365540.msg4295441#msg4295441  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Carter Cash Wishes He Had This Talent
Swoon Book Trailer
John Avant Talks About If God Were Real
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...