A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Breakfast and lunch on the go ideas?  (Read 961 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feeshy

Over my dead pineapple

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 04, 2010 12:24:25 PM »

So the Uni term has just started, and due to a combination of hilarious timetable and living quite a way from campus, it looks like most days I'll have to have lunch, and indeed breakfast, not at home. I say most days, it's pretty much every day. I have to leave too early in the morning to have breakfast before I go, and the food available to buy is a) expensive and b) not exactly health food.

So, ideas. I ideally need things that keep well, although unfortunately I don't have any freezer room this year, and don't take a heap of ingredients to make. I have fridge space, but things tend to go off fairly quickly and I don't have a lot of time most evenings to cook very much. And I don't exactly fancy sandwiches every single day for a year.

I'm currently thinking that some kind of flapjacks would be a good plan for breakfast (there's a recipe in Nigella Express I might modify), but other than that, no clues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only signature he needed was my fist. With a pen in it. That I was signing with.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010 05:55:24 AM »

take salads in a lunch box and dressing seperately.

Make a big soup a couple of times a week, if you boil up the soup once a day, it will keep on the stove top for about 3 days, bring a thermos,

In a large saucepan put a packet of cheap chicken bits, wings or legs (or a carcass from a roast chicken) some garlic, fresh ginger (if you haev it) chopped onion and carrot, add plenty of water,  boil for an hour or so, you can also add herbs like dried thyme (excellent with chick) or sage or some chillie powder. When the stock has a good flavour, take out the chicken, strip off any meat, no skin, no bones..if you have a lot of meat add in half to the soup and reserve half. Add in some chopped carrots, celery if you like it (yuk!) and a few peeled chopped potatoes and boil it up until the veg is tender (avoid green leafy veg as they make the soup very cabbagey) now if you have a blender then process it until smooth, if you dont crush the potatos and carrots well into the soup to thicken it, work at it until you get a texture you like, then add in the remaining chicken.

Boil up in the morning (add more water if necessary) heat your thermos with boiling water to prewarm it and fill with soup. its should be very thick, very healthy and very filling.

Cold leftover pizza, homemade pizza and sauce are easy and fast and are great cold.

Cook beef with noodles, strips of frying beef, cooked in a large pan or wok, with garlic, ginger, soysauce, a little tomato puree, some 5 spice powder if you have it, when the beef is nearly cooked add in veg and keep stirfrying...whatev er veg you like, I use onions, mushrooms, brocolli, peas etc. Until they are all done, keep frying, add a little water or soy if the pan gets too dry, you should have a fairly intensely flavoured base, then add in a packet or two of cooked noodles, (ramen) mix together, eat for your dinner and take the rest cold for the next day's lunch, it is really good.

Cold chicken...soy and lime, take about 1/3 jar lime marmalade, about 1/2 soy sauce, garlic and fresh lime or lemon juice, if you have it...marinade chicken pieces in it, if you have time..or just pour over if not, cook, have some for dinner and cold the next day for lunch.

I have never tried this, but you can add omlette fillings to a ziplock bag, like cooked ham and cheese, toss in a couple of eggs, salt and pepper. Bring it to uni, to cook, but bag into boiling water for about 6-7 minutes (free water??) and then eat!

Breakfast is a little less easy, but a toast and peanut butter is always good when you are running out the door. Toast and cream cheese.

hope these help!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010 06:05:54 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010 11:58:09 PM »

Peanut butter on sliced apple, or banana. (PB and banana makes a good sandwich, too.)
You'll still be stuck with sandwiches a lot, I fear-so vary the bread. Tortillas, bagels,ect.
If you have access to a microwave, bring a big potato and bake it. maybe top with a slice of cheese, or anything, really.
A bag of tortilla chips or pita chips, and a jar of good salsa, or hummus, perhaps?
I like chopped apple mixed with vanilla yogurt and raisens and nuts. The apple will darken a bit, but that's all right.
Flavored yogurt instead of milk on cereal is good. Find a breakfast bar you like. Make a fried egg sandwich, add stuff like cheese and meat and mushrooms when you can.
Milkshakes, use a banana, other soft fruit, you can add peanut butter, chocolate syrup, canned fruit(Not all at once, obviously Smiley ). Throw in a scoop of protien powder if you like. And Milk, and or ice cubes. Doesn't take long to blend, you can take it with you to chug. Save a big plastic cup and lid from a fast food place. Washing the blender isn't hard. Put in a little water, close the lid, hit the button-that makes it faster.
My mother had an old fashioned shake blender that was a glass jar, a metal lid, and a metal plunger piece you pulled up and down quickly. We'd use milk, an egg, a spoon of sugar, and maybe a little vanilla. (This was before we knew not to eat raw eggs). It made a fast eggnog to chug, when time was short, and it was too early to face much food.
Make pasta salad to bring with you? That can be filling, and you can add a variety of stuff to it.
A can of tuna, or other meat, and crackers to spread it on. Not fancy, but no refridgeration needed.
Invest in a couple of cold packs and an insulated bag for lunches?
Eat anything fast and hearty in the am, not just traditional breakfast food. Leftover soup, chicken, pizza, ect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
sparrowlegs
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010 06:33:13 AM »

breakfast, how about a smoothie drink, supermarkets (in UK) have their own large carton brands on a 3 for 2 a lot of the time, you could pour a amount into a bottle to take with you and piece of fruit too.
make a packed lunch the evening before, it takes a few minutes to prep and will save you lots of money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
BrittanyVictory
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010 09:14:53 PM »

I totally feel your pain!
I'm a broke-ass college student, who commutes half an hour to school every day, so I def know what it's like.

I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I usually grab some nuts/seeds on my way to school (walgreens has almonds, macadamia nuts, pumpkin/sunflower seeds for 99 cents) or buy some generic yogurt or applesauce and bring some to school in a container. Or sometimes some goldfish crackers or dry cereal. Also! I loveeee muffins. I buy a mix at walmart for like a dollar and make a week's worth of muffins in advance and grab one on the way out the door in the morning.

My school has a few microwaves in the cafeteria, so for lunch I usually bring some leftovers to eat. Like lasagna, pasta, or pizza. It's also pretty cheap to buy some cheese and lunch meat to put on bread for sammitches, and i'll pack some veggies with ranch.

Hopefully these inspired you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently collecting PUNK ROCK EMBROIDERY! Cheesy
Message me if you're up for a personal swap? <3
Spidersweb
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010 11:20:01 AM »

These breakfast muffins:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293286.0

They freeze very well.  I take a biscuit or english muffin pop this between them and into a zip baggie and put it in the fridge the night before.  It's still a little frozen when I throw the zip baggie in my purse.  When I get to work, I microwave it.  NOMs.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Spidersweb  (it's only a little filled out!)

In-Search-Of:
-> Stride "Sweet Cinnamon" If you have it in your area, will you PM me?  My mother loves it, and we can NEVER find it in our stores here.  Will negotiate for some!
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010 07:54:11 PM »

I've been making Breakfast Pizzas for DH and me.  I usually make them on Saturday morning then freeze them.

I get the mini-pizza crusts that come in a pack of 3, an envelope of Country Gravy (prepared according to directions), then either sausage or bacon, scrambled eggs then cheese.  Bake them for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Once the pizzas have cooled, cut them into four slices and freeze packages with two slices per package.

When I make them, I make 6 small pizzas, so I do 3 sausage and 3 bacon.  The envelope of country gravy is enough for all 6.  Last weekend when I made them, I froze one bacon and one sausage in each package.  When we have them in the morning, I microwave them for a minute or two, then put them in the toaster oven so they aren't so soggy.

It takes some work when you make them, but they are really good and would be really quick in the morning.

Of course, there's always Nutella or peanut butter on toast.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Rinna Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Miranda July Talks About No One Belongs Here More Than You
Mary Higgins Clark Wishes She Had This Talent
Kekla Magoon Reveals Her Favorite Person in History
Reynolds Price Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...