A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone have a recipe using ground turkey?  (Read 734 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bly
« on: November 12, 2010 10:48:06 AM »

Does anyone have refreshing recipe for using ground turkey that isn't meat loaf,
turkey burgers, or scotch eggs? I need to spice up my current menu, I'm a chicken,
turkey, and tofu person and the variety in my recipe box is getting old, any new
recipes are very welcomed. Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010 05:08:10 PM »

It's not really a recipe, but last time we had turkey I made tacos with it that turned out really well. I just browned the meat and mixed in homemade taco seasoning. Maybe you could also make chili?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010 07:04:49 AM »

lol...I am a chicken, turkey, and tofu person myself.  AND I have ground turkey in my fridge right now for tacos!!  Too funny.

I usually just substitute the ground beef or sausage in any recipe with ground turkey.  My faves are sloppy joes and Italian type dishes (meatballs, lasagna, stuffed shells, etc.).  Pretty run of the mill and probably not what you are looking for.  Hmm...I might benefit from some ideas here, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rossie
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010 02:57:02 PM »

You can use ground turkey in any recipe that calls for ground beef - and I think it tastes better too.  It makes delicious meatballs, bolognaise, burgers and moussaka. 

This recipe is from my auntie.  It feeds about a zillion people:

Greek Spaghetti

Heat 60g butter in a pan; add 500g ground turkey (or beef) and 2 chopped onions, cook until meat is golden brown.  Add 155g tomato paste, 2 cups water, a good pinch of mixed herbs and seasoning to taste.  Bring to boil, simmer 45mins or until meat is very tender.

Bring a large pot of water to boil, add 375g spaghetti and boil until pasta is cooked.  Drain, place in a bowl, add 60g butter and toss through until melted.  Place half the spaghetti in a large casserole dish.  Top with 30g grated parmesan cheese, the meat mixture, and then the rest of the spaghetti.

Place 1/2 cup plain (all purpose) flour and 2 eggs in a saucepan.  Stir until smooth.  Gradually add 3 cups milk and mix; stir over low heat until sauce boils.  Season with salt and pepper, add 1/4 tsp nutmeg.  Simmer for 3 minutes. 

Pour sauce over spaghetti, sprinkle with 30g grated parmesan.  Bake in a moderate oven 40 mins or until golden brown and heated through. 

Turkey Filo Parcels

20g butter
200g button mushrooms, sliced
4 rashers bacon, diced
350g cooked turkey
150g ricotta
2 spring onions, sliced
3 tbs shredded fresh basil
24 sheets filo pastry
extra melted butter
sesame seeds

Melt butter in pan, add mushrooms and bacon, cook over high heat until mushrooms are soft and there is no liquid left.  Combine turkey, ricotta, spring onion and basil in a bowl, add mushroom mixture, season to taste. 

Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.  Cover pastry with a damp teatowel to prevent drying.  Work with three sheets at a time; brush each layer with melted butter, cut into 3 strips.  Place 1 tbs of filling at end of each strip; fold pastry over to form a triangle.   Keep folding until you reach the end.  Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.  Place parcels on greased or lined tray, brush with butter and sprinkle on sesame seeds.  Bake 30-35 mins, or until golden.

Turkey San Choy Bau

8 small iceberg lettuce leaves
5 dried chinese mushrooms
100g canned baby corn
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp oil
2 cloved garlic, crushed
1 tbs fresh grated ginger
300g cooked ground turkey
1/3 cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
100g bean sprouts
2 spring onions, chopped
1 tbs chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1 tsp sugar
1 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs soy sauce

Soak lettuce leaved in very cold water while preparing filling.  Soak chinese mushrooms in a bowl of boiling water for 15 minutes or until soft.  Drain, discard stems and finely chop.  Thinly slice baby corn.

Heat oils in pan, add garlic, ginger and corn, toss over medium heat until fragrant.  Add mushrooms, turkey, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, spring onion, coriander, sugar, oyster and soy sauces.  Toss well to heat through.

Drain lettuce, pat dry with paper towel.  Spoon some filling into each lettuce cup and serve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010 03:08:23 PM »

Here's what I'm making tonight...although I am using ground beef this time since I am out of ground turkey like I used last time lol! I like this recipe because it uses pretty much kitchen basics for me, the only thing I usually have to buy for it that I don't already have is the ricotta.  Basically you make your tomato and meat sauce in a skillet and then add water and bowtie pasta, after it's cooked you spread a ricotta/parmesa/mozzarella cheese mixture over the top and cook until it melts.

Skillet Lasagna

In a large skillet that has a tight fitting lid, cook up some chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms (zuchini? extra veggies) and then add 1 lb ground turkey.

After browned add 1-24 ounce can spaghetti sauce (or combo of a can of tomatoes and tomato paste).

Season with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, whatever.

Add 1 1/2 cups water and 2 1/2 cups whole wheat bowtie pasta.

Cover and cook until pasta is almost done and then add a couple large handfuls of spinach and continue cooking until spinach is nicely wilted.

Take 1 cup part skim ricotta and mix with 1/4 cup each parmesan and mozzarella. It's also nice to mix in some freshly chopped parsley! You can put in spoonfuls over the top or just spread evenly over the top (I did spoonfuls as recipe said but would prefer an even layer next time)

Cover and cook five minutes on very low heat until cheeses melt.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 03:09:19 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
MandaKR
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010 10:46:07 AM »

I do eat beef, but I can't remember the last time I cooked with ground beef. Turkey is cheaper, better for me, and tastier! We do turkey burgers, tacos, and burritos, but our best recipe is our turkey lentil chili. We found it online and modified it for maximum tastiness.

Devon and Amanda's Albany Chili

1 1⅓ pounds ground turkey
1 (49.5 fluid ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth (6 cups)
2 cups lentils, rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 or 2 habanero peppers, diced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
1.In a Dutch oven, heat about 1 T. oil. Cook turkey and onions over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. (Be sure to add the habaneros after the liquids.) Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010 10:46:49 AM by MandaKR » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start a Nature Journal
How to Stretch
How to do the cow face stretch
How To Write Query Letters
Gerbera Daisies from Afloral & How To Use Them
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...