A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine Upgrade: Brother / Janome  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2010 10:29:01 PM »

Please help!  I currently have a base model Brother LS1217 that I purchased 10 years ago.  It was my first sewing machine  and it's been very good to me (still runs like a champ), but I feel like I've finally outgrown it.  I would love another manual machine (like the expenisve Janome Threadbanger TB12), but love that the new computerized machines are so user friendly - and many of them are very reasonably priced.

I've been looking at replacing LS1217 with another Brother - the CS6000i, which had loads of features and a great price ($150 USD).  It got great reviews online; however, after reading some of the craftster threads, I did some more snooping.  I spoted the Janome Magnolia 7330.  This machine is more expensive ($350 USD), but has half the stitches.  I also hate the "Magnolia" decor because it reminds me of the "It's Sew Easy" I had when I was five.  However, I like the Janome because it seems like a heavier, more durable machine. 

Truth is, I don't need all the bells and whistles, but want a machine that combines function and price.  I mainly sew baby bibs and toys, purses and the occasional piece of clothing.  I would like to begin selling my work down the line, and possibly try my hand an quilting.  My questions are: will either of these machines work for me?  Am I better off hanging on to the machine I have for a couple more years (until I can really invest in something else)?  Is there another machine I should be considering in this same price range?  Thank you all in advance for any advice you can offer!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010 05:27:32 PM »

check out Kenmores.  They are being manufactured by Janome.  There are plenty of reviews online if you google it.  I love my Kenmore machines, past and present.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kylenstevesmom
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010 06:11:35 AM »

I second checking out the Kenmore line, they are made by Janome, and are sometimes half the price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayhawk4
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010 07:01:38 PM »

If you like the Magnolia 7330, I've read that the Janome 8077 is essentially the same machine -- but without the cutesy flower design. Smiley

Plus, on Amazon it's about $50 less than the Magnolia (at least right now).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011 09:10:06 PM »

Thank you jayhawk4!  I wish I has seen this 6 months ago - or really paid attention to it!   Roll Eyes

After 6 months of research, buying a 1950's era Domestic (in an attempt to show how old school I could be) and finally burning out my old Brother, I had settled on the Janome Sewist 500.  Truth is, I was struggling with the idea of giving up my manual machine.  I've always used one and love the control I have over every aspect of sewing.

Then I came across a website that pointed out the similarities between the Magnolia and the 8077 model.  Essentially, for $50 more than the Sewist 500 (and for $100 less than the Magnolia) I can get the machine I origianlly liked without the kiddie looks.  I'm sold - and I'm looking forward to being "sew" happy again!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High School Senior Portraits Go Upscale
The Sartorialist Sizzle Reel
Photographing in Places of Worship - Photography Tips
Capturing Details in Architecture Photography
Bryant Austin on the Scale of a Life-Size Whale Photograph
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...