A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's curtains for you, Bathroom! (burlap shower and window curtains; 5 pics)  (Read 4641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 18, 2010 07:47:54 PM »

So, I've recently shacked up with The ManFlesh and have been slowly debachelorizing his 1911 house.  One of the first things on my list was getting rid of the old rotty shower curtains and institute a shower curtain liner policy.  It's a claw-footed bathtub with a shower rig, so it needs at least 2 curtains to contain the water.  When my mind landed on burlap and I couldn't get off it, so that's what I did.  I was hoping to find grey burlap, but off-white was as close as I could get to something that went with his existing color scheme, which I like.

We popped the hinges on the door so I could almost get a shot of it.  You can see I had enough left to make curtains for the windows, too.

I was able to open the mirrored cabinet and take a photo of the reflection of the curtain on the end of the tub.

I made hem tape (like double-fold bias tape, but not cut on the the bias) for all the vertical edges and of the shower curtain the top of the window curtains and a 4" border for the bottoms of both.  I attached the hem tape the traditional way... hand stitched it; something like 30' of it with all for sides of the shower curtain and the top of the 2 window curtains.  Oof.

The grey stripes pick up the grey accent tiles and grout in the floor and the grey finish on the outside of the bathtub.

I'm talking to him about me painting the tub's feet black, perhaps with a purple ball (in the claws). It feels really good to have the bathroom debachelorized.  Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarieAntoinette
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010 02:03:17 AM »

Good job debachelorizing without making it look too girly!

You've just inspired me to go attack my BF's bathroom right now! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010 06:57:24 AM »

nice.  its very tasteful.  but can i ask a question?  Where did you get the burlap?  I am having such issues finding burlap.  None of the fabric/craft stores here carry it anymore and its not cheap on ebay  (5.00 a metre incl shipping)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010 09:37:29 AM »

Good job debachelorizing without making it look too girly!

You've just inspired me to go attack my BF's bathroom right now! Cheesy

Thanks!  Luckily my own taste is not girly-girly and he has good taste and likes color.

Good luck with your project!

nice.  its very tasteful.  but can i ask a question?  Where did you get the burlap?  I am having such issues finding burlap.  None of the fabric/craft stores here carry it anymore and its not cheap on ebay  (5.00 a metre incl shipping)

Thank you.  Around here ALL the fabric stores have burlap and it's generally < $4/yard (just under a metre).  I bought mine at Fabric Depot which does have an online store (fabricdepot.com) and they have sales online all the time.  Not sure if they ship internationally and I assume that if you're using metres you don't live in the US. Wink  I've also seen it at JoAnn's (a chain store) which may have it online and may ship internationally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010 03:46:48 AM »

Love the striped hem tape!  Looks terrific Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
MVPMOM
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010 08:13:49 AM »

Great job!  Looks awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010 08:30:45 AM »

Thanks, you two!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xperimentl
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010 09:37:54 AM »

I can't believe you hand stitched the hems, that is a labor of love!  I never would have thunk burlap for a bathroom, but I like it.  I love the hexagon floor tiles, too, you just don't see that kind of character in new houses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010 04:21:05 PM »

I can't believe you hand stitched the hems, that is a labor of love!  I never would have thunk burlap for a bathroom, but I like it.  I love the hexagon floor tiles, too, you just don't see that kind of character in new houses!

Yeah, labor of love or stupidity... one of those.   Tongue  I just didn't want to have stitching show on the hem tape, so it "had" to be done.

I like those tiles, too!  And they're only 6 or so years old.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010 07:29:17 PM »

cutest bathroom ever. Wish I could move in somewhere we could paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
In The Kitchen - Raw Chicken Carve
How to make cheap homemade microwave popcorn
Easy Ketchup
How to Grill with Woodchips
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...