A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etched Cabinet Door w/Tut - Pic Heavy!  (Read 2370 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_etching , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2010 06:14:19 PM »

I have a problem with clutter. Namely, SEEING clutter. I'm okay with it being there, so long as I don't have to see it. Thus, I tend to pick all of my cabinets to have solid doors: I can then close them and not see the clutter.

This didn't work out so well for our video game cabinet, though, as it has glass doors. Glass?! You can see through that to all of the clutter inside! After a good two years, I finally decided to put a stop to this.

The solution? Frost the glass! Yes, frosted glass means you can't see through it. And since I recently got a Cricut Expression and SCAL, I also got creative with it.

I'm quite pleased with the results:

I used a combination method with Armour Etch. Figured I would post a tutorial in case anyone is interested. Please excuse my glaring-photos.

I did the etching on the INSIDE of the cabinet door. Just in case I somehow messed up the wood finish. I first lined the edge with painters tape, since I didn't know how the cream would affect the wood.

Next, I cut out my little space-invaders from contact paper on my Cricut machine and put them down on the glass. I tried to make sure I had a good seal between the glass and the contact paper. My contact paper never seems to stick very well.

Then, my combined method comes into play! Since my contact paper stinks, I only used it to get the design I needed. I then covered my open areas of the design with puffy fabric paint.

However, since the fabric paint dries as all one piece, you have to lift up the contact paper while the paint is still wet. Be careful! It's easy to mess up the design while doing this, though you can fix up small errors after it dries. I left the little alien eyes where they were and cut them out after it dried.

Let it dry! I think I gave mine a few hours in a room with a fan. In this shot you can see the entire design in paint while it dries:

Now the fun part. After cutting out all the little alien eyes, it's time to put on the etching cream. This stuff has been hit or miss with me previously, so I was really nervous about this. It turned out really well with this method:

First, shake up that bottle REALLY well! Shake it until you think it's okay, then shake it some more. Next, GLOB it onto the glass, stroking it in one direction (I used a foam brush). Once you've got a good cover over everything, then go back and stroke it in the opposite direction. I then went over it once again WITH GLOVES and made a circular motion all over the cream. I let mine sit for about twenty minutes to get a good frosty look. I know the label says only 5 minutes, but I've never found 5 minutes to be long enough.

Don't forget your gloves! This stuff is nasty! And smells like eggs! Yuck!

Once you're done, wash it all off (I washed mine in the bathtub--keep your gloves on), and peel away the paint stencil. A quick wash of the glass with glass cleaner and you're all done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://oddmentsandtweaks.artfire.com
------
No swaps right now :_(
RuneAriala
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010 06:21:39 PM »

I have to say, I actually really liked the way it looked with the puffy paint.  It turned out nice, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010 06:26:28 PM »

I have to say, I actually really liked the way it looked with the puffy paint.  It turned out nice, though.

Hehe. Yeah, my backup plan if the etching didn't work out was to fully frost all of the glass, and create decals to put on the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://oddmentsandtweaks.artfire.com
------
No swaps right now :_(
Devierue
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010 08:16:56 PM »

First, shake up that bottle REALLY well! Shake it until you think it's okay, then shake it some more. Next, GLOB it onto the glass, stroking it in one direction (I used a foam brush). Once you've got a good cover over everything, then go back and stroke it in the opposite direction. I then went over it once again WITH GLOVES and made a circular motion all over the cream. I let mine sit for about twenty minutes to get a good frosty look. I know the label says only 5 minutes, but I've never found 5 minutes to be long enough.

Everyone new to etching should know this information...I've seen so many people give up on etching because their solid areas will be streaky or will be too faint. I have problems with getting detail to show up on glasses (I'm impatient, and used to etching on mirrors)...it can be frustrating to put a lot of effort into a design and have it turn out less than absolutely glorious.

That said, I LOVE your project...and that's just my craftiness speaking (my nerdiness is squealing with joy as well...)! Ambitious, too, considering the size! Looks very nice, and will serve it's function well. Too cool! I'm now looking around my house to see what all needs a good etching...*laughs*

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Fireworks Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Dusk/Dawn Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Delete Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Custom White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...