A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tips for naming your business?  (Read 4251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sanriomelissa
« on: May 19, 2005 10:14:08 AM »

There are websites that will pick out or pair up words, if you are in need of a shop or company name.
Try
http://www.nameweasel.com/words.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alannah311
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006 09:11:07 AM »

i know there's sooo many threads about suggestions for names, but i was wondering about tips on how to go about thinking of one... does this make any sense?  i'm at a complete loss for how to go about coming up with a name...  i guess what i'm asking is how all you people thought of your name...   i'm so sorry if i don't make any sense  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

today, my love, we shall let the world slide
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006 09:15:41 AM »

i have a little calligraphy business. i came up with the name Scriva Bella by looking around at what other calligraphy places were calling themselves. most of them are like "Calligraphy By Jane" or "Pretty Invitations" or "Susie's Calligraphy." i wanted something to kind of stand out. i love the italian language and i started playing around with words. "scriva bella" sort of translates to "beautiful writing" ....i sort of fudged it a little bit, because i think it's actually supposed to be "scriva bello" or something.

hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
strawberry_bliss_0

Handmade is Haute Couture!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006 10:01:44 AM »

I think it's important to think of something that relates, not only to your business, but to your own personality.  My little biz is called Catch-22 Couture.  I've always been thought of as more smart than pretty, and I used to think that if you were intelligent, people saw you as plain, but if you were good-looking, people didn't think of your intelligence.  I've always hated that dilemma (thus the "Catch-22")  and wanted my designs to have both qualities.  Get it?  Hope I didn't get too sappy on you.  Anyways, just think of something that you can relate to and says something about you.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pepelutivursky
It could be worse. There could be zombies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006 02:46:58 PM »

I can't say as I have a huge business (or ever will really - I end up too much a Jack of All Trades to settle into making one thing  Cheesy) but mine is called Tiny Star.
For myself, I named it after a song ("Hello, Tiny Star") from my favorite anime movie, Voices of a Distant Star (Hoshi no Koe).  I've always had an affinite for stars as well, being something of an astrology lover, as well as a night owl.  Plus it's so simple and easy to remember while being, at least, mildly distinctive.
Chiefly, your name should reflect an image you want to persue.  If you want to make 'cute' things (like I hope to do), pick a 'cute' name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggerng
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006 06:40:50 PM »

My little crafting business is called "Viridian," since green has been my fave color for a reeeaaally long time, and I love the Latin language despite its utter uselessness.  Besides, it's one of those things that, while people can pronounce it, a lot of them really don't know what it means, so it's a great conversation starter.  And it sounds a little upscale and fancy-shmancy, which is the image I wanted to convey.  I've been very consistent with the logo so far on my price tags and business cards, so I think I'll stick with this name forever. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
http://viridian.etsy.com
BluegrassBeagles
Swamp Witch

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006 06:53:01 PM »

I got sleeping beagles from a conversation with my husband. I just thought it was cute and easy to remember. That was back when my business focused on dog cookies, toys, and other pet ecoutrement. The name helped highlight my niche.

I make more money and get more foot traffic, though, with my people products, jewelry and baked goods. The name sleeping beagles has been confusing for some of my customers because they think that all my things are only for pets. It's really funny to see someone put a bread sample in their mouth, then recoil in horror and ask quickly, "Is this people food?" So, in light of that, I'm dividing my business into two names. I'll keep sleeping beagles, but my people products are now dba as Swamp Witch Creations.

SWC came about because my husband started calling my grandmother a swamp witch, and I am her swamp witch apprentice (because of our propensity to use old wives' remedies, among other things). I've got a friend who decided she, too, wants to be a swamp witch, so now we call each other sister swamp witch.

When I started brainstorming what to call the people part of my business, I decided to use my nickname, Swamp Witch. Then I looked in the thesaurus under creations to see if there were a word that would create consonance. I liked creations just as well as any other word, so I went with it.

In a nutshell:
1. Think of something that helps highlight your product or personality,
2. Consider using silly nicknames as a jumping off point,
3. Use the thesaurus to find a unique word to replace a common word.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:
http://swampwitch.wordpress.com/

REduce
REuse
REcycle
REJOICE!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006 05:01:36 AM »

You have to like the name and feel confident saying it and presenting it. You might even want to think about the future; if you're older and wiser, will Kitty Kuties (made that up) still work for you?

Your name doesn't have to make "sense" in literal terms, but in general a name that makes sense or describes what you do is more easily remembered by people.

You might want to just close your eyes at the keyboard and type any words you might consider pleasant. Then, type words that make you think of your product. Combine a word from one list with one from the other, and you might be inspired to come up with a name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alannah311
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006 08:08:14 AM »

thanks so much for all the responses... this is so hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

today, my love, we shall let the world slide
sarawearsskirts
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006 11:11:10 AM »

i thought this was the hardest part of the etsy-setting up process! (and my boyfriend made a lot of fun of me...) 

but i ended up just thinking of something i liked more than anything... and then brainstorming on that one idea.

for example, my etsy shop is "girls can tell" because my all-time favorite band of all time spoon.  and my favorite album of theirs happens to be called girls can tell, which i've always thought was so clever because it works in a couple different ways...  so i just crossed my fingers that no one had it, and that was it. 
of course, then i had to sit down and come up with a banner / logo, which i'm still not completely satisfied with, butit's simle and it works, so if i think of something better, i'll just change it...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anjelica Huston on Her Father, John Huston
Anjelica Huston on Her Mother
Doris Kearns Goodwin: What Are You Reading?
Vanessa Gezari: What Are You Reading?
Tell Me Why: Creative Writing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...