A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first diaper cake  (Read 1867 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_cake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

linda0989
« on: September 17, 2010 06:28:35 PM »

My niece is having a baby shower on Sunday for her new baby Wyatt. She requested diapers since everyone is giving her clothes. I figured that a diaper cake would be a lot nicer than sticking a bow on a box of diapers. I have to admit, I thought it might be hard to make but it's definitely easier to make than decorating a regular cake. Here is the final result:

I used Huggies Pure and Natural diapers and used Size 2 since he outgrew newborn diapers after the first week.
I'm sure this is a cake that little Wyatt will get a lot of use out of in the future Smiley
Thanks to everyone who has put up tutorials and helpful hints on how to assemble these. I used a lot of advice from previous posts to make this. Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacksonrath4evr
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010 07:09:08 PM »

the next baby shower i go to, im gonna make one of these, cuz its just so amazing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melmo44
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010 09:27:20 PM »

That is one gorgeous diaper cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have YOU ever licked a lamppost in winter?  ~Alistair (Dragon Age Origins)

Let's show them our hearts, and then show them theirs!   ~Oghren (Also Dragon Age)
linda0989
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010 07:26:19 AM »

Thanks! I made it because I am too cheap to pay for one. That cake was around $95 (Canadian)- considering it cost me $45 including tax it was worth the effort.
If you are going to make one the easiest way is to use cake pans (clean of course) to help form the swirl shape. Otherwise you might need to have an extra pair of hands.
Good luck and post your pix when your done- I'd love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsafari
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010 11:04:11 AM »

beautiful cake! I prefer the look of the "swirled" diapers instead of the rolled. (thats how i make mine) But I have NEVER thought of using cake pans to help!! great tip. (and ive made...a lot of diaper cakes...I thought i had it down to a science! LOL)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
linda0989
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010 06:51:52 AM »

Pantsafari,
Oh you will love the cake pan method! It makes everything perfectly round and so it's alot easier to keep everything together. It keeps the 'cake' tiers the same size as a real cake and the diapers stick out far enough to be able to tie them. You just turn them over and you have a perfectly flat top and even sides.
Swirled is the way to go... I figure it's a real pain for the mom to have to unroll all those diapers. It's supposed to be a nice gift not torture Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsafari
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010 02:40:44 PM »

My SIL just had a baby and someone gave her a HUGE diaper cake- all rolled diapers, and they were all rubber banded... HORRIBLE to take apart. we had to get scissors and be super careful not to cut the diapers or short rubber bands at anything while snipping them off. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
Ch3rrie
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010 01:06:15 AM »

That is really nice, Well done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tojoyamoto
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011 03:38:22 PM »

I LOVE this cake!  So modern and elegant!  Excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Emo Hair
How to Treat Dandruff
How to Use a Round Brush to Curl Hair
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Use Heated Rollers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...