A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Did battle with rag yarn -- not sure if I won...  (Read 788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010 12:23:08 PM »

Last night I finally sat down and ripped up old granny floral cotton I had (the kind used to make sheets) into strips so I could start crocheting a rag rug.  I made the strips about 1/2" wide or so because the largest hook I have on hand is an I.  The crocheting went well, even though I had to take frequent breaks toward the end of my roll because my hands were starting to ache, a lot like when you hand write too much.

This morning I woke up and BOTH arms ached like I'd pitched a season of baseball with them.  Some extra-strength Tylenol helped a bit, but my right arm (the one I hold the hook with) is still especially sore at the elbow and shoulder.  Great timing, since I need to finish some crocheted bridal gifts for a shower tomorrow morning.  Undecided

Any advice?  Anyone had this happen with rag/t-shirt yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010 07:37:35 PM »

It's just sore muscles from the exaggerated movement of using a larger hook. Bigger hook = bigger motions = sore muscles

Those would be the ones in the forearm, pulling on the connective tissue in the wrist and elbow. Some linament and a good rubdown of your forearms should do the trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010 08:49:14 PM »

Massaging my shoulder did help some.  I think I'll rest it tonight with a rice pack and some more Tylenol, and do my best to finish the gifts in the morning.

Thanks for the advice Smiley  Guess I gotta get used to the bigger hook, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahtchristina
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010 09:39:47 AM »

Wow!  Who knew crocheting was a full contact sport!!!  Be sure to post some pics of the final project so we can appreciate all your HARD work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010 04:30:44 PM »

Haha, really.  I'm making the rug as a gift for my mother.  She had her eye on some from the vendor next to me at a craft show I did this summer but couldn't buy, so she'll be getting mine for Christmas.

Good thing, too; if I were trying to sell this rug I might be tempted to add in the cost of the Tylenol  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
measure-once-cut-twice
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010 09:42:41 AM »

I have noticed that I get sore when I change from my "regular" needle size. I usually use a sizeG up to K. I recently started crocheting a lace edge on a nightgown and have had wrist cramps... and I have only done 2 rows! I had to consciously loosen my grip in the hook. Not too much though... 'cause I have to keep the tension tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010 12:17:35 AM »

The tiny stuff can be hard to work with, too, when you aren't used to it or haven't worked with it in a while.  The first time I tackled embroidery floss with a D hook my fingers cramped.

Between the constant writing and the constant crocheting, and repeatedly stabbing myself with my sewing needles (I hate thimbles), I put my poor hands through a lot.  It's a wonder they haven't given up on me Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
JK Rowling Writes About Harry Potter At Age 34
How to Play Chasing the Ace
Meet the Author: Jemma Wayne
Tinsel-Town Tattle Tales! The Actress by Amy Sohn
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...