A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Did battle with rag yarn -- not sure if I won...  (Read 800 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010 12:23:08 PM »

Last night I finally sat down and ripped up old granny floral cotton I had (the kind used to make sheets) into strips so I could start crocheting a rag rug.  I made the strips about 1/2" wide or so because the largest hook I have on hand is an I.  The crocheting went well, even though I had to take frequent breaks toward the end of my roll because my hands were starting to ache, a lot like when you hand write too much.

This morning I woke up and BOTH arms ached like I'd pitched a season of baseball with them.  Some extra-strength Tylenol helped a bit, but my right arm (the one I hold the hook with) is still especially sore at the elbow and shoulder.  Great timing, since I need to finish some crocheted bridal gifts for a shower tomorrow morning.  Undecided

Any advice?  Anyone had this happen with rag/t-shirt yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010 07:37:35 PM »

It's just sore muscles from the exaggerated movement of using a larger hook. Bigger hook = bigger motions = sore muscles

Those would be the ones in the forearm, pulling on the connective tissue in the wrist and elbow. Some linament and a good rubdown of your forearms should do the trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010 08:49:14 PM »

Massaging my shoulder did help some.  I think I'll rest it tonight with a rice pack and some more Tylenol, and do my best to finish the gifts in the morning.

Thanks for the advice Smiley  Guess I gotta get used to the bigger hook, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahtchristina
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010 09:39:47 AM »

Wow!  Who knew crocheting was a full contact sport!!!  Be sure to post some pics of the final project so we can appreciate all your HARD work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010 04:30:44 PM »

Haha, really.  I'm making the rug as a gift for my mother.  She had her eye on some from the vendor next to me at a craft show I did this summer but couldn't buy, so she'll be getting mine for Christmas.

Good thing, too; if I were trying to sell this rug I might be tempted to add in the cost of the Tylenol  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
measure-once-cut-twice
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010 09:42:41 AM »

I have noticed that I get sore when I change from my "regular" needle size. I usually use a sizeG up to K. I recently started crocheting a lace edge on a nightgown and have had wrist cramps... and I have only done 2 rows! I had to consciously loosen my grip in the hook. Not too much though... 'cause I have to keep the tension tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010 12:17:35 AM »

The tiny stuff can be hard to work with, too, when you aren't used to it or haven't worked with it in a while.  The first time I tackled embroidery floss with a D hook my fingers cramped.

Between the constant writing and the constant crocheting, and repeatedly stabbing myself with my sewing needles (I hate thimbles), I put my poor hands through a lot.  It's a wonder they haven't given up on me Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Light Szechuan Pork Stir Fry Recipe
How to Stir-Fry Meat and Vegetables Asian-Style
How to Make Hot, Crispy Chicken Wings with Peppers
Spicy Asian Chicken and Noodle Soup Recipe
Learn How To Cook Duck Fat Fried Rice!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...