A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Crafter's Oasis - My First Personal Space  (Read 2237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovieDovieAnn
« on: September 17, 2010 06:10:20 AM »

Teasers!

Growing up I shared a room with my sister. Through college I shared a room with my dormmates. I went from college to immediately living with my now husband. Never before in my life have I had my own space that no one else can claim. Until now. With an extra bedroom and a reluctance to make an office separate from the living space due to my son's age, I was given a craft room. My husband didn't even argue. He loved the idea of a door that can be locked and all my dangerous needles, scissors, and rotary cutters kept away from our four year old. I was ecstatic at the idea of having a room filled with my things - a true oasis from the chaos that is being a homemaker.

I wish I had gotten before pictures. This floor of this room was covered in miscellaneous junk as it had become a catchall for the entire house. There were toys, a television that doesn't work anymore, a ton of electronic paraphernalia, and hundreds of little whatnots. It all had to come out. Three weeks ago when I had decided to redecorate this room I went in only to discover that in our neglect of the room the flea problem that had started in the spring was now astronomical in that little room. The room is only 9'6" by 9" of usable space. I couldn't walk in without my legs turning black with the suckers. So I set out a bowl of soapy water and a desk lamp then doused the room in Borax. We can't use harsh flea removal methods in our house due to my smell-induced migraines so patience was key. I refilled the water every day for three weeks until only a couple of fleas appeared over night. We sent the minimonster off to Nana's for the weekend and it was finally time to get dirty.

And this is the result of 8 hours of scrubbing, rearranging, and sorting. I moved our entire collection of books and their shelves, an ill-used dresser from our bedroom, and unpacked the entirety of my craft collection from it's miniscule closet. The sewing table isn't quite finished as I'm out of money so for now it's propped up with tv trays. It was our old coffee table with some legs that didn't like to stay tight so it was constantly wobbling. Later I'll buy real legs for it. The grand total that I spent for this room is about $30. $15 of that was for embroidery hoops and fabric. The other $15 went to the green and blue milk crates and the tiny blue organizer. Everything else was salvaged or repurposed from another room. I'm thrilled with the result. I know there's not much decorating involved here, but it's mostly about the organization for me. I'm not a very structured person. haha

The instant it was done I had to christen it. So I whipped up the sewing machine cover in a few minutes. That night I couldn't sleep, though. My husband woke up around midnight and couldn't stop laughing. I was standing in the middle of the room just turning circles because I couldn't get it in my head that the room was mine all mine.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wewilltaketothesea
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010 06:25:37 AM »

Your room is so cute and organized! I felt the same way when I got my own craft room. I'm glad you now have a fun space where you can be creative!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cxcaitlyn
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010 06:33:19 AM »

Congrats on the new room! I can't wait until I get my own craft room some day....

On another note, your description of the flea problem made my stomach churn - I'm very allergic to flea bites! What you described is my worst nightmare....*shudder*

Anyway, the room looks great, have fun with it! I need to get my small section of crafty stuff organized....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010 07:50:36 AM »

Thanks, ladies! I've already enjoyed it for a week and can't wait to enjoy it for a long time. ^_^

I had wanted to keep all my sharps on a pegboards and organized, but my four year old means other plans had to be set. haha Out of sight, out of mind, right? At least most days. D:

Caitlyn, I understand. I ran out of the room screaming like a little girl the first day I realized what had happened. I jumped into the shower clothes and all to get the off me. rofl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010 10:23:43 PM »

I like it! Very cute! I would love to have an area where my 1 and 3 yr old can't get into!! haha So JEALOUS! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rainy Day Hair Tutorial
How to Create a Fishtail Braid and a Quick Smoky Eye
How to Get the Perfect Dry-Hair Blowout in 7 Easy Steps
Avoid a Hair-Tastrophe: Tech Tips to Find Your Best Look
2 Quick Morning Updos for a Great Day
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...