A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,339
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beer can cozies  (Read 4126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nutmegh
« on: March 10, 2004 12:52:31 PM »

my dad is a working class, southern, beer-drinking man.  so for his birthday, i have decided to make him a few personalized beer can/bottle cozies.  

what should i use to make these?  i could knit them, but i kind of want to make them with something foamy?  
any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004 12:55:29 PM »

you could buy some el-cheap-o can cozies from the dollar store and then cover them in like, camo fabric...or the John Deere Fabric they've come out with...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melman

i'm a crafty aggie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004 01:22:19 PM »

I made some for Mardi Gras using some we already had, covering them with foam (came in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets from the craft store - in all colors and some prints) and then decorating with stamps, garland and, of course, beads.  I will post a pic when I get home from work.  The only problem I had was using the right glue. First I tried a hot glue gun...hot glue and foam is not a good combination.  The only other thing I had was a silicone glue and that didn't work well either.  I guess maybe something like E6000 would be better.  I think you can get the foam with a sticky backing - or maybe I'm thinking of felt.  At any rate, it was very easy and turned out to be a hit at the ball.

>>>sorry no pic, it's packed away with the rest of mardi gras but I think you get the idea<<<
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004 06:24:00 AM by melman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------------------------------------------------
there are three kinds of aggies
those of us who can count and
those of us who cannot

http://claybar.org | http://texasreddirtphotos.com | http://oldorangecafe.com
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004 04:06:26 PM »

What about sewing up little "sleeves" with elastic around the top & bottom.
Or like suggested use ready made ones & decorate with felt, foam sheets, or fabric to suit his tastes.
OR maybe this is fully off the wall what about getting a package of boys tube socks, & embroidering funny things on them ... tube socks are just a straight tube so if you use new ones you can taylor the embriodry to mach the colos ring on the sock.

IS THAT TOO WEIRD???
I don't know one with his name & silly sayings like you'd find on t shirts, or the mascots from different sports teams he likes?
   Let us know what you do!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004 04:08:11 PM by TinySoapyBubbles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nutmegh
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004 11:37:35 AM »

i don't think the tube socks idea is wierd at all!  my father has an excellent sense of humor and gets a kick out of all of my "wierd" art and crafts.
i think i might try that socks idea.

i was thinking more about this last night and decided to make one of them in the devil and angel style...one side would have a tiny devil encouraging more beer drinking and other with an angel (looking knowingly or encouraging an alternative glass of milk).  

do you think rubber cement would work as an adhesive if i used foamy stuff?  i have a ton if it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melman

i'm a crafty aggie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004 12:10:05 PM »

Rubber cement might be ok if you could clamp it at the seams until it dries.  But something a little stronger or faster drying might be better - super glue maybe?  When I used the silicone I had to hold it while it dried.  I ended up using the hot glue on the edge, even though it melted it a little.  If you have one of those cold hot glue guns, that could work too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------------------------------------------------
there are three kinds of aggies
those of us who can count and
those of us who cannot

http://claybar.org | http://texasreddirtphotos.com | http://oldorangecafe.com
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004 05:45:45 PM »

this link is from another forum..... the pics are more feminine... they do mention how they made other ones...might help you some with glueing etc.....
http://boards.hgtv.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=1084078532&f=1004031632&m=94910159
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004 09:52:38 AM »

Do you think the rubber shelf lining would work?? Usually can be found at a dollar store.... cut   and then sew (overlap)?   just an idea I had this morning  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nutmegh
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004 06:57:32 AM »

oh, great. thanks for the link!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004 09:52:56 AM »

well I bought a dog hat  pattern off ebay (omg so cute) and they are made out of fun foam and fabric, but she also included a beer cozie pattern too...what you do is take a sheet off craft foam and spray adhesive on it, then you put a cute fabic you like on it...I use logo fabric , old jeans etc. then you cut it to can size ( this way the edge doesnt fray) sew around all the edges (my machine zipped right thru it) sew a few pieces of velcro on ,then voila its done..., my husband manages an offroad racing team, so for each season i make the guys each a cooling neck tie and a beer cozie that matches, they love them esp. the cool ties...cause in vegas its one hot mother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Full-Figured Fashion Week: Plus-Sized Women Call For Body Image Movement
Miley Cyrus, One Direction, Justin Bieber Rock Onsies Trend
Style Sound-Off: Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Demi Lovato
5 Summer to Fall Fashion Trends
Top 5 Pool Party Looks For Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...