A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Seuss Nursery OR The Lazy Parents Guide to Decorating  (Read 16679 times)
Tags for this thread: nursery , doctor_seuss , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , cat , cat_in_the_hat , dr_seuss  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tapestrymlp
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~Tapestry~

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 16, 2010 11:48:39 AM »

WARNING: PIC HEAVY!

Just put the finishing touches on our son's nursery and wanted to share the completed project with you. When my daughter was born six years ago we went all out and decorated her room in a Turtles & Ducks theme. We painted, we made murals on the walls, we hung a wallpaper border and peppered the room with art and ducky and turtle knick knacks. It was soooooooooooo cute. One problem. My daughter outgrew that decor within a year or two. By the time she was 3 she had opinions and turtles and duckies were not what she wanted and oh my goodness what a pain to redo that entire room. Luckily we moved houses so that solved that problem Grin

Therefore I had one major criteria in mind when designing my son's nursery. I was NOT repainting the room again. Any decorating we added had to fit the theme we chose but also be easily swapped for something else. This is what we came up with.

1. First I painted large squares in primary colors halfway up the wall. It's a decent size room but I didn't want to make it feel small by overloading the walls with color so leaving plain blocks of color between the bright colors was a good compromise and kept the walls from feeling too busy.
2. I created a border using removable adhesive wall vinyl. This stuff is brilliant. It's like a big sticker for the wall and easily peels off and goes on.
3. I bought some Seuss themed wall stickers and put those inside the colored blocks on the wall. They can be easily removed and switched for a different theme later.
4. I created a "mural" for the wall using more craft vinyl by drawing the One Fish, Two Fish figures, painting them and cutting them out. Now the wall LOOKS like I spent a lot of time painting a mural on it, but I can peel that stuff right off whenever I want.
5. Rather than invest in an expensive window treatment that was theme specific, I bought a red valance that reminds me of a circus pennant. To fill the half circle window above that I just cut out some mat board and painted the Circus McGurkus whale on it. It's cheap, cute and a fun keepsake for later.
6. I repainted a hideous wood dresser white and then painted each of the drawers a different color. It fits the theme color-wise but will work well with other themes later. Same thing for the wall shelf I hung - I used stars in primary colors to decorate the pegs.

Ready for some pics? Okay a LOT of pics. I'm a bit proud of the room Cheesy

The finished nursery:

View from the doorway

A before pic

Ick! Boring white walls and hideous dresser of doom.

Changing area & crib

Left wall & window area

On top of the dresser
The Lorax stuffie & Truffula tree with Oncler knitting a thneed were created for me by Thanate as part of a swap here on Craftster, as was the Embroidered Horton picture which was created by Troublet.

Refinished wall shelf

"Wall Mural" detail - hard to believe that's just adhesive vinyl, black sharpie & a bit of white paint.

Wall art detail
The cute pictures were made for me as part of a craft trade from the March birthday swap here on Craftster by Kjbaloo. I re-matted the images with wobbly frames cut from mat board. The window hugger images were purchased from a classroom supply shop and really inexpensive.

Window area - the half circle window is covered with some spare mat board cut to fit and then painted with the Circus McGurkus whale. The "balloons" are plastic and bought at a craft store. I wish I'd bought one more but they are impossible to find now. I love the way they look as if they're holding the window valance up. They were hung with fishing wire so they look like they hang in the air.

Left wall detail - the giant banner is from a classroom supply store and was really inexpensive. The alphabet images came from an activity book I bought on clearance at Borders. The dresser was repainted (waiting on the new drawer pulls to arrive still).

Closet area - more window huggers from the classroom supply store, a cute wall clock I found online, puppy dog hamper that was too cute to resist & a Cat in the Hat growth chart.

Baby's name letters - I painted these wooden letters Cat in the Hat style and hung them crooked for a bit of quirkiness

Seuss mobile - I bought a regular baby mobile and then switched out the animals that normally hang on it for Seuss inspired ones. The Seuss stuffies were created for me as part of a craft swap here on Craftster by Lanikins.

And that's the finished room, hope you like it! I could not have made that room without some awesome swaps and friends helping out. So in a lot of ways the baby room is a classic example of Craftster enabling. This place is so dangerous for me because there are sooooo many cool projects to look at it and be inspired by!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010 10:11:56 PM by tapestrymlp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Tapestry~

Visit my Etsy store for magical crafts & whimsical figures, http://petitepotions.etsy.com
kathpeak
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010 12:05:20 PM »

Lazy? There is a bundle of effort and love put into this room.
Totally gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must not come lightly to the blank page." - Stephen King
tapestrymlp

~Tapestry~

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010 12:08:50 PM »

Heh, thanks Kathpeak. The lazy part is that I don't intend to repaint that room for at least ten years so I made sure everything was very versatile with the decor and it can be easily switched out for something new later. None of the Seuss-themed elements are permanent ones.

I hate painting walls. Passionately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Tapestry~

Visit my Etsy store for magical crafts & whimsical figures, http://petitepotions.etsy.com
kathpeak
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010 12:37:03 PM »

Hi Tapestrymlp,
I agree with you on the painting of walls. A miserable job. All that moving of furniture and bits.
Though I still don't agree with you on your classification of Lazy; practical, efficient, sensible, forward-thinking maybe?!
My daughter's room was decorated with the future in mind too.
Gender neutral (because we did not know if she would be a boy or a girl) and colour chosen to go with some fabric in my stash so that when she moves to the larger room I can make it in to a guest room without a major re-org.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must not come lightly to the blank page." - Stephen King
Giddiup222
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010 12:58:54 PM »

That is so awesome! I want to do that in my sons room now!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010 12:59:22 PM by Giddiup222 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrickyMcVomit

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010 01:08:36 PM »

LOVE!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010 06:14:51 PM »

What a bright, colorful, fun room!  There is a lot of work (and smart thinking) put into this room - nothing lazy about that.  I adore Dr. Seuss, but never considered that a theme for a nursery.  I have a feeling that it will be a long time before your little guy outgrows his room...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Terracruz
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010 06:21:38 PM »

AMAZING!!! This room is fantastic. I love every little detail. There's nothing lazy about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Terra
stillatthetop
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010 08:45:52 PM »

Wow. That is so totally awesome. I want that room!!! And I love how you spelled out the practicality of things...how to make small money go long ways with a bit of elbow grease and smarts! Great job! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
pixeegrl
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010 04:26:10 AM »

That room is just amazing!!!!! You did a terrific job! I'm sure your little one will enjoy it for many years to come!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Essential Winter Beauty Products
How to Do Shellac Nails at Home
Holiday Manicure Looks To Copy
Holiday Gifts for Beauty Lovers
Picture Perfect Holiday Glam
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...