A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vera Bradley style hobo bag  (Read 5158 times)
Tags for this thread: hobo_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010 06:36:15 PM »

Thanks everyone!  Grin I really appreciate the C & C. 

I'll try to put together a tutorial. (a pattern would be best but I'm not sure how to do that??) I have a few others in the works I need to do, but when this gets done, I'll be sure and post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010 08:40:23 AM »

I love the look of your bag.  You did a great job.  What kind of interfacing did you use?  Interfacing often has me befuddled Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010 08:10:52 PM »

Eowynt

I usually always use fusible fleece on the outside fabric and heavyweight fusible interfacing on the lining fabric.  Walmart carries the fleece as well as Joann's...but there's a difference in the thickness of the fleece.  Walmart's is heavier than joann's...so depending on the bag I'm making, i switch between the two stores.  This bag was the walmart version...hope this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindapendant
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010 06:41:08 AM »

This is really pretty. Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MelSews67
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010 05:59:27 PM »

Very Nice, I love the green fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010 09:13:01 AM »

Love your bag!  As well as the B&W one you posted today.  Great work!

Eowynt

I usually always use fusible fleece on the outside fabric and heavyweight fusible interfacing on the lining fabric.  Walmart carries the fleece as well as Joann's...but there's a difference in the thickness of the fleece.  Walmart's is heavier than joann's...so depending on the bag I'm making, i switch between the two stores.  This bag was the walmart version...hope this helps Smiley

I'm curious as to why you do the Fleece on the outside and the heavyweight interfacing on the lining - I wouldl think that would make the inner stiffer than the outer - yes?  No?  Because I always try to make my outside fabric stiffer, and I use the fleece on the outer and usually no interfacing on the inner.  Do you find that you have a stiffer lining than the outer fabric, and if so, what is the advantage to that?  Just curious, since I've never even thought of doing it that way . . .

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010 12:25:24 PM »

I have tried various different ways of interfacing...from sew-in, to craft-fuse (hate this stuff), to peltex...what I have settled on and seems to work the best is what I described earlier.  Have you used heavyweight interfacing before?  When I first heard about it, I was expecting something much thicker than it is...it is actually meant for cuffs or collars on dress shirts...and even then, the finished product I get is not as stiff as cuffs and collars are.  To answer your question, I don't find that my lining is stiffer than the outside.  In my opinion, it just gives the bag a little more stability and shape.  There are a couple bags of mine that I'm considering going to simply heavyweight on the outside and lining fabric as opposed to the bulkiness of the fleece.  For instance, this bag
http://vibrant-designs.blogspot.com/2010/10/stocking-up-for-our-first-craft-fair.html

just seems to be a little bit too small of a bag to use the fleece on...the seems get a little bulky where you have a 3 way point.  The shape of the bag is not quite as crisp as I like.  BUT that could be because I was using the heavier stuff from walmart and not the lighter weight stuff at Joann's.  I have done a couple bags (for little girls) where I don't interface the lining, but the overall bag just seems flimsier to me, so therefore, i don't do that with bags meant to be ladies purses.  (more weare and tear, right?)  Have I answered your question?  Hope it wasn't too wordy!  Let me know what you think...

b2j2fitz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mexi
One world...make it great! Deck-OR-ATE!

I Heart the world.(Smelling plastic beads melting)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011 11:47:36 AM »

Green  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K1MM13
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011 12:49:05 PM »

Wow. You did a create job. It's really awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Ebru Artist Siddi Zubeyde Atan
Learn About Painter Marta Sanchez
Meet Glass Calligraphist Hayat Gul
Meet Muralist Michelle Ortiz
Making a Mural with Michelle Ortiz
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...