A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass etching on curved surfaces  (Read 1261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PleasantOne
« on: September 13, 2010 08:24:56 PM »

Hi all,

I tried etching for the first time tonight. I saw some of the awesome WoW Horde etched glasses on here, and decided to try and make some for my boyfriend for Christmas. I picked up some glasses at the dollar store. They unfortunately didn't have any glasses that were straight, up and down... they all curved in towards the bottom. The etching went pretty well, but since the glass was curved, I couldn't get the stencil to lay completely flat, which meant some bleeding. I tried to clean it up freehand and just made a bigger mess of things, so I'm going to have to start all over with new glasses Sad

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid the gapping/bleeding on a curved surface?

Thanks!
Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010 03:45:41 PM »

There are a couple of different techniques you could try.

* Put the image on the inside of the glass and trace around the image with fabric paint. You can peel or scrub the fabric paint off after you're done.

* Put blue painter's tape on the glass then a piece of carbon paper with your image on top (you can use contact paper, too, but it doesn't hold the traced image from the carbon paper well). Or you can use a sharpie to trace through the stencil onto the painter's tape.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
PleasantOne
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010 02:50:20 PM »

Thanks very much for the tips Smiley  I think I may try the fabric paint next, as soon as I can get to the store for some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Devierue
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010 08:28:44 PM »

Curved glasses have always been tricky for me. My first etching attempt was on a bowl and was, to say the least, frustrating. It may or may not have ended it's little bowl life in a satisfying shatter. But don't be like me!

The best recommendation is tape, especially painter's tape. The less sticky residue, the better. I did aforementioned bowl o'sad with Scotch tape, which only accelerated the tragedy...gooey bits in the fine details. Painter's tape does work well, especially in thin strips/small pieces. It depends on what you're making. I've never used carbon paper, though, as I prefer to freehand, but that's just a matter of taste (or stubbornness...).

Don't be afraid to readjust before committing, and don't be afraid to experiment. Once you do commit, go ahead and leave the goop on for longer than recommended - it won't hurt anything and will help to make the etching look more solid.

Good luck - can't wait to see some pictures *grins*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick Calligrphy Tools
How to Apply Calligraphy Tools
How to Draw a Manga Character
How to Draw Charcoal Portraits
How to Draw Still Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...