A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Head Start Art Journal Swap Gallery  (Read 8380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010 08:10:36 PM »

Okay, so this afternoon I got to meet up with my partner in person, because she lives just across town from me, and it's our organizer -zoma- herself! After commenting earlier in the week about how totally different everyone's interpretations were, -zoma- and I made each other journals that were remarkably the same! (The background material, by the way, is the luxurious handmade purple paper my book came wrapped in!)

She re-used the cover of a book called "Around Toronto", adding some Steampunky gears to the front.

Not only the cover was recycled, but many of the pages of illustrations by John Richmond have been bound back in, amid pages of many different kinds of blank paper, from thick watercolour to brown kraft paper. The title page even incorporates a drawing of the monument from the old War of 1812 burial ground on Portland St., which is one of my favourite secret spots in the city! There are two ribbon bookmarks with clock hands as finials.

There are some pages that just have one quirky image on the whole page:

Some incorporate the original book illustrations, like this poem:

Some pages have small ghostly bits of text or drawing, like this:

There are both large two-page backgrounds

and single pages with very specific places for writing. (This is one I particularly love.)

Faint images of machinery appear on many pages. There are also random photos, texts, poems, a wonderful "found poem" from a children's language workbook and lots of other stuff.

Finally we both ended our journals with envelopes inside the back cover, for collecting bits and pieces for future use. I did one large envelope across the back endpaper, and -zoma- put three into my book.

Thank you so much for this! It's so much like me, it's hard to believe we'd never met before today!

Wulf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

meccaleccahi- meccahineyho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010 08:49:37 PM »

wow! what a fantastic book! beautiful pages and i love the clock-hand bookmarks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010 09:30:14 PM »

Wulf - that book is completely awesome! The pages you choose to post are great! I love the blue bird and the tree.
So many wonderful ideas! Great work -zoma-!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
StickerChic87
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010 10:57:05 PM »

I love the envelope page, great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-zoma-

finally a picture of me

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010 08:26:53 AM »

I was totally blown away by the journal Wulf made me - so awesome! It was very hard to limit myself to just a few photos, so I let the camera decide, I ran out of space on the memory card.
You can see the assortment of paper from the outside, a lot of variety! Three bookmarks, perfect!
The cover is a little on the soft side, just a bit of flex to it, which was unexpected, but I love it. It'll give a bit when the journal gets bigger and bulkier, but it's still hard enough to offer support when I'm drawing on my lap. Such a small detail, but... Smiley

"We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

So love this page. In the background are the Governor General and the Countess of Bessborough, and an ad advising farmers to add salt to their hog feed to increase weight gain. LOL

Wulf and I live in the same AWESOME city, and he has an excellent collection of local ephemera. This coupon circular makes me chuckle, because it was probably also delivered to my house in 1993, and I probably chucked it in the bin.

There's newspaper pages from 1910, old public transit transfers - great little tidbits of the history of the city.

This bird image is awesome, I know it's going to inspire a hundred or so doodles in this book. Smiley

That's one of the newspaper pages on the left.

The back pocket was STUFFED with goodies: stamps, postcards, newspaper clippings.

SQUEEE!

This was my favourite 'possibilities' page. I want ten of this page and then I'd like to do something different to each one. Smiley

The texture of the splatters, the colour, the delicate edge on the frame.... swoon.

So much love went into this book! And it's going to bring me a lot of happiness as I carry it around with me every day and fill it up.
Thank you so much!

Oh - and as I was flipping through the pages yesterday, I remembered that I forgot to bring your extras with me. I don't know how I forgot, and for that long, but I did. I owe you Wulf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010 10:27:38 AM »

I love the idea of multiple bookmarks. Love the cover, and the coupon page...and the birdish skeleton page s probably my fav, I keep looking at it! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010 11:58:58 AM »

Wow Wulf and Zoma!

My favorite page from the journal Wulf made is the anatomy page- but I love the bird skelton drawing.

My favorite page by Zoma is the tree with the squares for journaling- also love the gears on the cover!

So jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010 01:46:39 PM »

But
I was totally blown away by the journal Wulf made me - so awesome! It was very hard to limit myself to just a few photos, so I let the camera decide, I ran out of space on the memory card.
But I want to see all the pages!!!! Smiley
Wow, the journal Wulf made is awesome! I love the coupon page and the splattered page!

Wulf - what kind of binding did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010 03:29:13 PM »

Wulf - what kind of binding did you use?

It's a stitched binding, but I can never remember the names for the different types. The signatures are stitched through and to each other, but there are no tapes. It's about the simplest you can do, which is why it's the only method I ever bothered to learn! Cheesy

I'm glad you like the stiffness of the cover, -zoma-, as I was a bit worried that it might be too thin. And as it happens, the spattered page that's your favourite was the very first one I did. And we owe each other extras, so we're even. Yours will be in the mail this week!

Wulf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010 04:23:09 PM »

I received my second art journal yesterday from wonderwoman1976  Cheesy This swap has been great for me, I'm ending with three art journals  Cheesy one from rougeraven, one from wonderwoman1976, and I made myself one before sign ups ended  Smiley

Here are pics of the journal wonderwoman1976 sent me!

Cover, so pretty! Layered papers and shiny fabricy stuff that looks super delicate but surprised me by not breaking when I touched it  Cheesy

and each page has a beautiful light background and different stamps in the corners, and lined paper attached to the backs, so I have lined and unlined pages  Smiley here are a few of my favs:

and I love how the journal looks closed, see all the beautiful texture!  Smiley

And she sent me an extra mini journal!

I was looking for a quarter to use as size reference, but found a beer cap instead  Wink

Aaaaaaand, in other journal news, I added my first thing to the journal rougeraven sent me  Cheesy I don't think the page is finished yet, but its a good start  Smiley

It's on the first blank page in the book, "Once upon a time there was an ordinary girl who was given a special journal and she used it to create something wonderful..."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Debbie Macomber on Her New Book, ‘Blossom Street Brides’
Ben Ford Demonstrates How to Test Wellness of Meat
Former Senator James Webb on Family and the Military
Jackie Collins Celebrates the Release of Her 30th Book!
James Joyce Changed My Life
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...