A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! (New) sewing pattern missing part of the instructions; any advice?  (Read 521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LibertyImagesJen
« on: September 13, 2010 03:46:17 PM »

I finally got to a pattern I'd bought a couple of months ago (now discontinued, of course) the other night. Going to read the instructions, I realized that the first two pages were missing! I emailed the pattern company asking if they could email the instructions to me, and their reply (twice) was that I'd just have to buy the pattern again from them. For Pete's sake! I'll call the retailer too, and see if they can help (doubt it), but does anyone have any suggestions? This was going to be a gift for Hubby. Sigh!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

great cars ★ great places ★ great beauty
www.libertyimagesphotography.com
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010 04:13:59 PM »

Could you tell us what pattern it is or find a picture? Usually it's possible to get by without the instructions so if we knew what pattern you were making, we could probably help you figure out how to put it together. (Or someone might have the same pattern and could share the instructions with you).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibertyImagesJen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010 04:55:00 PM »

Thanks! It is McCalls 4399. Actually, I think someone here on Craftster made the shirt already...! It is probably super-simple, but I'm still a baby sewer.

Whoops, here is a link: http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/11174
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010 05:16:46 PM by LibertyImagesJen - Reason: Forgot to add the link! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010 05:27:31 PM »

Looking at it, I would say the most difficult parts would be the cuffs if you're making the long sleeved version and the collar. If you have any button up shirt pattern (even a women's one) you can use it as reference for the buttons, sleeves, maybe even collar. The main body pieces you will pretty much just be sewing together. If the collar has a stand, here's some info on sewing that: http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/sewing-a-shirt-collar-with-collar-stand
If I was in this situation I would start by finding and cutting (or tracing, whichever you usually do) all the pattern pieces you need then playing with them to see how they'll fit together. You know they'll match at notches, and some things have notes on them to cut in interfacing as well as fabric so you know those pieces will be interfaced. I'd pull out a similar shirt to see how it was put together too.
I don't have this pattern, but hopefully someone who does (or a similar one) can help you out with more specifics. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibertyImagesJen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010 05:55:51 PM »

Thank you, I'll do that. Since the first 2 pages of instructions are missing, it'll be guesswork as to which pieces I need (doing a short-sleeve). It'll be my first man's shirt! My MIL is a very good sewer, so maybe I'll sneak her into my sewing room when she visits and ask her. Wink

I'm so tempted to send a note to the other person here who did it and ask, but it would feel weird. Can't believe the company is being so snarky...I'd pay for postage on the two pages, but would rather not buy the pattern all over again. Ridiculous!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010 06:58:41 PM »

The pieces should all be labeled. For example if you're doing view A, just find all the pattern pieces that say view A on them. I don't think it would be weird to send a note to the person who made it... you never know, she may be able to help out. Asking your MIL seems like a good idea too  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010 11:54:45 PM »

If you are doing a short-sleeve man's shirt, you will use all the pieces except the cuff. There may be a line to shorten the sleeve, on a single sleeve pattern. Cut the pattern on this line. (Or fold it back). You also won't need the small strip for the sleeve placket. All the other pieces will be used. Mostly the first pages will show you which pieces to use, and how to lay out the fabric. That's pretty easy to figure out.
  If the shirt has a pocket, make the pocket first. Sew it on the shirt , then if the back has a yoke, (a piece sewn across the shoulders) , sew that together. The yoke is usually cut two layers, so it gets sewn to the shoulders and the back . There is a way to conceal the seams in this step. Here's how: Sew 2 layers of yoke to back, 1 piece on each side of main back piece. Then, sew the shoulders to top layer of yoke only. THEN, twisting and pulling thru, you have to play with this to figure it out... sew back of yoke to shoulders. Turn back out, and the seams are all enclosed. Stitch remaining neck and sleeve edges of yoke layers together. Top stitch seams if you wish.
  Often a man's shirt will then have the sleeves sewn in before the sides and sleeve seam are done. Especially in the case of short sleeves.
  The long sleeve will require the seams , done first, due to the cuff .
Before sewing the collar and collar stand on, make the front placket, and buttonholes.
 Then make the collar, finishing with sewing on the collar stand. These 2 sections become one. The collar stand finishes clean inside when it is sewn on the shirt, in 2 layers, the edges turned in. All this small detail work is trimmed to 1/4" seam allowances, and points are trimmed before turning out collars. The buttonhole on the collar stand is sewn after it is on the shirt. Press up hem, roll over twice, about 1/4" twice for shirt-tail hem, 1" folded twice for straight hems, like on Hawaiian type shirts. Or, the kind that hang out straight. The key to making a nice shirt is pressing, and attention to details. Side seams should be folded under to clean-finish, and top-stitched down. (A Flat-felled seam)
 hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010 12:04:49 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coral Cocktail Frocks Trend in Film Party at Cannes Day Two
C&T By Costello Tagliapietra
Pastel Gowns Take the Lead at Cannes Film Festival Day One
C&T Costello Tagliapietra Capsule Collection
Trends from the 2012 MET Gala Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...