A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The very first PLUS SIZE RUNWAY SHOW! Fall 2010!  (Read 1892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2010 10:29:52 AM »

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.stylelist.com/media/2010/05/crystal-renn-chanel-cruise-collection-240ls051110.jpg

This week, Sept 15 in New York OneStopPlus.com is sponsoring an ALL PLUS SIZE Runway Show!!!

I almost cried when I heard about this! Maybe our voices will finally be heard and fashion may start to include instead of exclude us!

Who else is excited! I cannot wait! I am hoping to see the military and retro styles of mainstream echoed in these designers! even Marc Jacobs is rumored to be looking into expanding sizes!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010 06:02:16 AM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OrangeKnickers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010 11:31:16 PM »

OMG!!! Seriously?  That's so awesome!  I can't wait to see what they show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Will do private swaps for keys, cogs, and steampunk goodness.
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010 07:05:54 AM »

That's all well and fine except "plus size" models barely qualify as "slightly plump."  See pic above.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010 09:16:19 AM »

That's all well and fine except "plus size" models barely qualify as "slightly plump."  See pic above.  Huh

yea i would rather see that more than one body type is represented as well. i got into a discussion about this very thing on facebook. the industry will only use the lowest "qualifying" plus size on the runway, of course.

It could be considered cheating, and it still leaves out us over size 20.

On the other hand, it could still be seen as a step towards the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day they say.

I think even if they model the size 14/16 and still manufacture for the 20 -30W Then hey we at least won...something.

the next battle would then be getting designers to see our body shapes and not just sizes. They can't tailor a plus garment to save their lives. It's not "big all over" it's big in certain areas. I have major trouble with RTW b/c to fit my hips I have to buy a dress with a bodice that is 2 -3 sizes too big. good lord i am not a linebacker for the steelers!  Cheesy Only now Lane Bryant has started to recognize that women's pants needs tailored to body shapes. I have seen that a major jean company is following suit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010 01:27:50 PM »

This is why I want to learn to sew.  I have to admit the thought is a bit intimidating.  I am pear shaped and always have a problem finding something to wear.  I'm big hipped and big busted and tend to wear a lot of shapeless clothes because I have a choice between too big or too tight  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
BootyMalicious
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010 02:48:27 PM »

Sugar, I "yayed" out loud at work when I read about it. It's a step, albeit a small one, in the right direction. And I love the dress you highlighted.

I'd love to see more generously-sized female designers in the industry. I think part of the problem with current plus fashions is that most of them have been made by people who have no idea what it's like to be heavier and how that affects draping and wearability.

I have a lot of fitting issues at any size (short torso with a tiny rib cage but not-tiny breasts, long legs with a BIG booty), so most RTW doesn't work for me anyway, but it would be really nice to see more companies adopt shaped sizes like Lane Bryant's pants. I have jeans from Fashion Bug (LB's parent co. owns them) that are made for pears, and while they don't fit perfectly, at least the waistband doesn't gap 4 inches in the back! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AdidasGirl
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010 05:34:55 PM »

In June they had a "Full Figured" Fashion week in New York.  I wanted to go but had surgery scheduled so plans fell through.  If they do it again in 2011 Im definately going. The website looked like the week would be really fun, now thats definately a step in the right direction Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraize4step
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011 11:32:04 PM »

To be completely honest, Im a designer and there is no way that I would evern remotely be able to design for a plus sized model without taking a class first to see how to drape correctly and to show off her figure in the best way possible
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011 06:15:09 PM »

yea i would rather see that more than one body type is represented as well. i got into a discussion about this very thing on facebook. the industry will only use the lowest "qualifying" plus size on the runway, of course.

It could be considered cheating, and it still leaves out us over size 20.

On the other hand, it could still be seen as a step towards the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day they say.

I think even if they model the size 14/16 and still manufacture for the 20 -30W Then hey we at least won...something.

the next battle would then be getting designers to see our body shapes and not just sizes. They can't tailor a plus garment to save their lives. It's not "big all over" it's big in certain areas. I have major trouble with RTW b/c to fit my hips I have to buy a dress with a bodice that is 2 -3 sizes too big. good lord i am not a linebacker for the steelers!  Cheesy Only now Lane Bryant has started to recognize that women's pants needs tailored to body shapes. I have seen that a major jean company is following suit.

What i'd like to see, is someone recognize that plus size does not mean bigger everywhere except the boobs. seriously! I have to buy clothes that are a couple sizes too big to adequated cover the girls and then take everything else in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011 06:46:43 PM »

What i'd like to see, is someone recognize that plus size does not mean bigger everywhere except the boobs. seriously! I have to buy clothes that are a couple sizes too big to adequated cover the girls and then take everything else in.
This is the issue with plus sizes, there are like 4 or 5 body types, so a standard fit is no good.
That said, I have gotten used to having cleavage slightly visible at times, and with me if it does not have a high neck line your likely to see the top of my boobs, so over 80% of the shirts I find are slightly, it used to bother me but not any more, its just skin people get over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Solutions for Stretch Marks That Works
Timing Is Everything: Make the Most of Beauty Products
Deep Smokey Eye Makeup at the Nicole Miller FW 2014 Show
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
Redbook Magazine’s Beauty Epiphanies
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...