A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 2338 and also hot pants  (Read 1607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

parallax
« on: September 21, 2010 11:46:12 PM »

Has anyone sewn up Simplicity 2338? My cousin's wedding is in a couple weeks and I thought it would make a really lovely dress but I'm curious as to anyone else's experience with said pattern. I go to grad school full time and work part time so my sewing time is limited. I'm a fairly advanced sewist but I don't want to deal with a particularly fiddly pattern requiring loads of alterations.

Also, hot pants.
I'm on a roller derby team and I am so annoyed with finding hot pants to wear over tights and under skirts. I have a big belly and so many hot pants and boy shorts are low-rise and hip hugging. What that means with a bigger belly is that the waist is rarely high enough and ends up rolling under and my belly flops out. Not cool. I want to make myself a few pairs of hot pants that are higher waisted but I don't really have a pattern. Lycra is not the cheapest and I don't want to just cut into fabric and experiment with no plan in mind. Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CynthiaButterfly

Love is being stupid together

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010 07:05:33 AM »

As far as the shorts go, I'd start with some shorts that fit well enough, then buy some coordinating fabric and add a higher waist to them. You could even get some old tights and use the waistband from that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
Mischa85
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011 08:48:00 PM »

I am MEGA late to the party here... but I feel your pain; i'm in EXACTLY the same position!!!

So! hotpants!!!

But a pair of derbyskins.... they fit large, so buy a size down from what you normally get.

Lay them out to draw a pattern, but draw the waist higher (so it goes up to your bellybutton/ waist/ wherever you want it).

Then use that as a pattern to make NEW hotpants.

I'm sticking with thick dance Lycra fabric, and the skins are SUCH a good fit, that the modified hotpants should end up about perfect.

Now if skins actually made them highwaisted.. oh man, i'd be one happy derby gal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mischa Tacks #85
Sun State Roller Girls
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Indoor Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...